Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• keh!

Chinatown, too bad it won't make it to DCA

So I decided to think up concepts myself! so many people have done this and i have yet to take the plunge til now, posting ideas i thought would be cool for DCA. now i'm excited for Carsland but i think that was the easy and unoriginal way out, by working with something that pixar has already outlined (plotting out the land for radiator springs in the film). i would have liked to see WDI take a more cultural approach for a new land. these are concepts i did last summer and i haven't shared them with much people until now. feedback would be appreciated ^_^;;

This is a quick sketch for an idea how an alley would look in the Chinatown area.

This bridge was inspired by the Rainbow Bridge in a small town in China, called Fenghuang i believe, i came across it while google earthing one day and thought it was a wonderful structure:

Many people would say "well if it's Chinatown, how would you tell if the themed land is Chinatown or China itself?" i think a simple solution would be light posts with that of the style from L.A.'s and SF's Chinatown. this land would be a mesh of both, with street signs Grant and Broadway running in different directions. as well as simple city props like a blue mail box, yellow fire hydrant, to give that feel that you are in a Chinatown in an American city.

Added color in Photoshop:

I then took it into Painter and put a wash over it giving it a night time feel:

Along with this land I thought a cool attraction would be Dragon Mountain. I've read and seen concept for Disney's version that was supposed to be located in EPCOT but that was Japanese, this is Chinese ^_^ And I thought of this idea before I had heard of Disney's version.

This would be a forward and backwards coaster on a continuous circuit track (not like boomerang but more like expedition everest). The story i have yet to polish up. but the idea would be to rescue a dragon that is trapped somewhere within Chinese mountains and you are asked to help by the Phoenix (dragon's counterpart). Parts of the queue would be in ruins due to the dragon's struggle, if you've seen Spirited Away and watched how Haku the dragon smashed against several rooms creating havoc, that would be the idea.

quick sketches of iconic Chinese Mountains:

When thinking about an iconic mountain for a disney attraction, i paid attention how each mountain at disneyland stood out, Space with its' Spire, Splash with Chickapin Hill, Matterhorn oviously the peak. i thought for this attraction, it would be cool to have two twin mountains juxtaposed with a canyon running in between:

Some 5 min. studies in Photoshop:

a few sketches i did trying to come up with a queue entrance:

I ended up settling with this as an entrance (in ruins with a shallow creek flowing under, it's supposed to be a really aged building):

This is a partially ruined courtyard in the middle of the queue (notice at the center a statue of the Phoenix which inaudible calls would be heard from):

closer look on the Phoenix:

the coaster vehicle itself would be an elongated rickshaw being pulled by a smaller dragon (than the one needing rescue):

last car in the line of rickshaws (which would have the shade cover):

This would be an AA of the dragon caught, struggling within the thick vines, so generally the train circling around it would snap the vines and set him free. this was drawn to understand basic shapes:

and this would be the view of the attraction itself :

This attraction would be located in a part of the land where lush Chinese gardens progress into hills and then mountains, where the ride would take place.

That's pretty much what I have. Thoughts?

• Doesn't get enough Disney

Re: Chinatown, too bad it won't make it to DCA

First off-- You are an AMAZING artist. I'm totally blown away, that's like Imagineering and above standards

Secondly, your ideas sound great as well! Heck if you didn't make it an American city, it would be interesting to see maybe even in AK as an extension of Asia.

I'm really, really impressed with how well done these are, Bravo!

Si vous voulez venir danser aussi, le ticket d’entrée n’est jamais gratuit.
    Il faut payer de sa vie.

• keh!

Thank you very much

and i agree with you about working as an extension for AK as well, i didn't think of that! : D

Very nice concept art you have drawn. I figure if they were to do something like that then they would have to do that for other communities as well. What would basically happen is a west coast version of Epcot if that was the case.
    DL Trips: '86, '87, '88, '89, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13...

Somewhere beyond the walls of Disneyland in a land far, far away...

WOW! First of all, those are some amazing sketches! Very beautiful! I love the idea of the roller coaster with the dragon-pulled rickshaw...highly creative!

With all of the lush landscaping and details with the mountains and such, I think the whole area would be a great fit for AK! (I see that someone has beaten me to this comment )
    I do like however, the idea of a Chinatown in DCA with the shop-lined street and Chinese buldings.

Your sketches are FABULOUS and I hope someone will take notice to them! You are very talented!
    Imagination ~ dream a fantastic dream ~ use your imagination

Please visit my store!
    http://www.zazzle.com/carouselofcolor*

My current blog - check it out!
    http://www.thishappyplace.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Explicit View Post
    Very nice concept art you have drawn. I figure if they were to do something like that then they would have to do that for other communities as well. What would basically happen is a west coast version of Epcot if that was the case.
    Personally, I would love that! (weren't there plans at one time to build that? WestCot? Sure wish they would make that the third park!)

Please visit my store!

• Evaporate, tall person!

I live in the Inland Empire of Southern California..
    Blog Entries

I just HAVE to say.. the art was AMAZING.. and so is the concept..

You're brilliant.. I'd love to see this actually occur.. it's so intriguing!

DISNEYLAND: It even makes science geeks look cool!!

• keh!

Thank you for your kind words. It's an idea i keep coming to here and there. and i too agree that this could fit in a Westcot park. I guess i thought of it for DCA first b/c DCA needs lands, lol. But yeah, the mentioned alternatives would fit very well, thanks!

• Infinitized!

If that Chinatown has a "Club Obi Wan" and a gangster car chase ride, complete with a kid driving a car, I'm sold!

Quote Originally Posted by mmeleota View Post
    Personally, I would love that! (weren't there plans at one time to build that? WestCot? Sure wish they would make that the third park!)
    A long time ago that was the plan, but for various reason that plan got scrapped. Does that mean it will never happen? Who knows, but I'm not sure there is a plot of land that will allow a huge Epcot (I mean Westcot). Maybe I'm wrong.
    DL Trips: '86, '87, '88, '89, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13...

I think we got a future Imagineer here

Really those are great concept drawings. I would almost put a © symbol or water mark on them so no one takes them from you. These are to the same quality that I saw of some FANTASMIC! concept art. What medium did you use for the initial sketches?

Your Dragon coster reminds of that ride from Lego Land, in particular front from how I remember it.

I am impressed

Wow.

Some amazing artwork you have there. Truly incredible. Although I love the "Chinatown" concept, I'm not sure, as amazing as it is, the dragon mountain concept would fit in DCA. If you are supposed to be in a suburban San Francisco area, why would it open up to an ancient Chinese mountainscape? just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Explicit View Post
    A long time ago that was the plan, but for various reason that plan got scrapped. Does that mean it will never happen? Who knows, but I'm not sure there is a plot of land that will allow a huge Epcot (I mean Westcot). Maybe I'm wrong.
    If my memory serves me correctly, it was supposed to be where DCA is now. I remember the WestCot thing because it was talked about around the time I went to EPCOT for the first time. (maybe a little before...can't remember) I was completely blown away by EPCOT and was excited for there to be an EPCOT on the west coast.

Please visit my store!

• Senior Minion

Very simmilar to many ideas I've had, a Chinatown area would be one of my first choices for a future land for DCA too. I love your rickshaw coaster, really brilliant, but I kind of feel that attraction feels more Chinese then Chinatown. It would be a great ride for World Showcase or DAK. I actually had a simmilar idea, mine was a suspended coaster themed to look like one of those long ceremonial dragon costumes that would take you on a flight through Chinatown at night, and ending by crashing through a fireworks factory.

• keh!

Quote Originally Posted by tech4all View Post
    I think we got a future Imagineer here

Really those are great concept drawings. I would almost put a © symbol or water mark on them so no one takes them from you. These are to the same quality that I saw of some FANTASMIC! concept art. What medium did you use for the initial sketches?

Your Dragon coster reminds of that ride from Lego Land, in particular front from how I remember it.

I am impressed
    hehe, thanks. for the initial sketching i did them in color pencil. including the Chinatown day an night piece. i added color in photoshop and corel painter. rainbow bridge, i started with a pen and colored in with marker. and the phoenix close up is all marker itself. : )

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast