Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

What is the cast member morale/interface like now?

When I was a kid, cast members were uniformly cheerful, almost to the point of a fake cheerfulness that seemed forced and plastic in a way. But that was preferable to what I saw in May 1993. We were standing near the Frontierland/NO train station watching Fantasmic! and there was a train stopped at the station. We started walking towards it but the cast member working saw the huge crowd headed towards the station and quickly locked the gate and said to us "The train is closed." A minute later the train left and hundreds of people were forced to walk all the way back to the main gate. In August 2001 we were waiting for a parade to start (I can't remember which parade it was, but it was after dark). A cast member was angrily barking at guests to get out of the route, even though the parade hadn't started yet. I was kind of shocked - there's a right and a wrong way to ask someone to get out of the way, and this guy was doing it the wrong way. So what is the customer interface and morale of the cast members like now?

Re: What is the cast member morale/interface like now?

Its hit and miss. I have had super nice ones and not so nice ones. I have also reported some... which I will do if they are rude and I have the time. I have also just used my cell phone and called about someone while standing there. One guy actually told me to turn around or he would turn me around... Do you wanna guess how that ended?
    I have spent 80 days of my life at Disneyland.

• Minion

Wow - are they allowed to touch guests?

No, but I have had one step in front of me and one grab my stroller.
    I have spent 80 days of my life at Disneyland.

• Lost in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Wow - are they allowed to touch guests?
    And are Guests allowed to touch Cast Members? I've heard Guests say to Cast Members: "Don't touch me, I'll SUE you!" There are times when you would want a Cast Member to make physical contact with a Guest, such as a child running towards a horse-drawn streetcar or Main Street vehicle. Well, the Cast Members could just verbally warn the child... but if they don't speak English, are deaf, or simply not paying attention, someone could die. Sometimes grabbing the child's arm is the best solution. For safety reasons, I think Cast Members should be allowed to make physical contact with Guests. And of course, on the Jungle Cruise and Storybookland, CMs are required to touch Guests as they board/disembark the boats.

• My Favorite Anna

I have a few CM friends there not the characters but the CM and once in a wild I may touch them on there shoder but that's if we come up with a joke or just saying hello or goodbye but that's it. Samething with the characters alot of times I will hold Aurora's hand or Silvermist.

MY LONG TIME FRIEND THAT I HAVEN'T SEEN FOR 2 YEARS.

• Keep Moving Forward

Hit and miss is a good way of describing it. While I hardly ever see cases such as the stories described here, I've noticed that most of my fellow cast members are hardly Mr. Sunshine. This is typically the case when we've been given a directive to follow to the letter, "such as dispatch your logs every 13 seconds" or "make sure nobody goes to the left (during guest control)". Most cast members get into the mentality of "this is what I've got to do, and I've got to do it as efficiently as possible", which unfortunately results in the trimming back of courtesy.

Using the above example of dispatching logs, cast members often resort to saying, "Hop on in and take those seats!" in a very loud, uninterested voice. Those who take time to situate their child or wipe off their seat are met with, "Have a seat, please!" in the same style. Yes, a "please" is thrown in there for good measure, but the request isn't stated in the most courteous fashion simply for the sake of efficiency.

I understand the need to move people in and out of the logs quickly - the faster we dispatch, the faster the line moves, which keeps guests relatively happy. But this is almost self-defeating if each guest who waits through that line is met with a stale, canned statement from the cast member operating dispatch. I really wish more cast members took that extra effort to try to sound cheerful - really, it doesn't take any more time, and our guests don't feel like they're being attacked.
    Interested in visions fantastic of Disneyland?
    Check out my albums on Flickr by clicking here!

• Splash/Mansion/Big Boats

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    words
    Absolutely agree with you on all points there. In the beginning I made the mistake of giving folks a few extra seconds to take their seats comfortably and was quickly informed that wasn't the proper procedure. I thought about reporting it, but if (virtually) everyone there believes that is the proper way to handle dispatch at Splash then I'm sure management's opinion does not differ. My second attraction will not come soon enough.

The last time I was at the park, I was floored at how bad it's gotten. CM's barking at guests, CM's obviously bored out of their minds. One girl that was on Space Mountian looked miserable. I said to her, "Smile! The is the happiest place on Earth!" She said, "oh, yea. right"

And when did Disney drop it's weight limit? I've never seen so many overweight people who look like they are going to keel over at any second. They all seem to be working the food carts and standing in the hot sun, dripping with sweat.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Got my popcorn & red licorice...just waiting to see where this thread goes!

(like I don't already know)
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Keep Moving Forward

Quote Originally Posted by tj9991 View Post
    Absolutely agree with you on all points there. In the beginning I made the mistake of giving folks a few extra seconds to take their seats comfortably and was quickly informed that wasn't the proper procedure. I thought about reporting it, but if (virtually) everyone there believes that is the proper way to handle dispatch at Splash then I'm sure management's opinion does not differ. My second attraction will not come soon enough.
    What I really hate is when people deem it necessary to wipe down the seat, and once I even had a family who decided to pass a rag back and forth amongst themselves so they could all have dry seats.

In reality, though, it's possible to be courteous and be efficient. I usually tell guests, "Take your seats, please. It's time to be moving along!" That way they understand that we need them to sit down quickly and they don't think we hate them. Just be concise, yet cheerful, and throw in a little themed phrasing for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by MouseEarWax View Post
    The last time I was at the park, I was floored at how bad it's gotten. CM's barking at guests, CM's obviously bored out of their minds. One girl that was on Space Mountian looked miserable. I said to her, "Smile! The is the happiest place on Earth!" She said, "oh, yea. right"
    Some people really shouldn't work at Disneyland. We're cast members, not ride operators. If you don't understand the business of making magic, you should really go find work elsewhere.
    Interested in visions fantastic of Disneyland?
    Check out my albums on Flickr by clicking here!

• Shifting cargo

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    What I really hate is when people deem it necessary to wipe down the seat, and once I even had a family who decided to pass a rag back and forth amongst themselves so they could all have dry seats.

In reality, though, it's possible to be courteous and be efficient. I usually tell guests, "Take your seats, please. It's time to be moving along!" That way they understand that we need them to sit down quickly and they don't think we hate them. Just be concise, yet cheerful, and throw in a little themed phrasing for good measure.

Some people really shouldn't work at Disneyland. We're cast members, not ride operators. If you don't understand the business of making magic, you should really go find work elsewhere.
    Perfectly put!

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

• Disney is home

The first question I want to ask everyone, is how is the Cast Member/Employee at everyone else's work? If it's great why is it great?

There is so much behind why a cast member is unhappy or is happy at work. It could be there are hard times at home, hard times with the economy, and even hard times at work. I know at Disney right now, a lot of hourly cast members have to deal with management on them all the time, cause a lot of managers are trying to prove why they should be a manager. Not all managers are like this, but this is happing more and more often now.

I know it's easy to say "it's your job, so smile" or "if you don't like it then don't work there", but please consider what may be behind the reasons for the Cast Member morale. But also know, that it is never appropriate in my opinion to be rude or mean to someone whether you be a cast member or guest. Should cast members be allowed to get a way with this? No they shouldn't, but hopefully we can be a bit more understanding.

To answer the OP's question, Cast Member Morale is down and I think it's on it's way to continue going down.
    Last edited by Donald1980; 09-07-2009 at 10:32 AM.

• Release your doo-dahs!

The last time I rode Splash Mountain about two weeks ago, I definitely got barked at by the CM for not boarding fast enough. I was a bit taken aback by it, actually.

I went to the park with my Dad, and when we were being boarded onto our log, we were directed to the two back seats. Because of the way the ones in the back are set up, I had to first wait for my dad to take the very back seat before I could get into the one in front of him. I was also wearing flip flops that day, which as you know can be slippery on wet surfaces, so I made sure to get in carefully. As soon as both feet were in the log, a male CM shouted at me, "In the back, take a seat!", and before my butt was even on the seat, the log had taken off! Ooh, I definitely shot that CM a look.

I will admit that I felt slightly vindicated when the ride ended up breaking down just before we were going to go up the final lift for the big drop. Everyone on the ride was evacuated. Hmm, well maybe if the ride wasn't being OVERLOADED with logs...

Sorry to the SM CM's, I know you're just doing your job, but the 13 second load thing isn't cool. And don't bark at me, please, or you shall get the look of death!

Funny that there are so many Splash Mountain stories, but a few years ago I was in line and almost to the boarding area. After asking us "how many", the cast member dropped something he was holding and it fell on the ground in the walkway between us. I politely paused for a second so he could bend down to pick it up, but instead he turned to me and SCREAMED about a foot from my face "MOVE!!!!!" A CM almost got a fist in his magical ****ing face that night.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast