Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Riding Pirates at Disneyland After first riding the FLA version

I was watching a U-tube video of the Magic kingdom version of Pirates, and I didn't see any drops.
    Has anyone experienced Disneyland's original version after riding the WDW version first?
    I've never been to Florida, but I bet that the drop improves the ride immensely.
    Is there a drop in Paris, or any of the other parks?

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: Riding Pirates at Disneyland After first riding the FLA version

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
    I was watching a U-tube video of the Magic kingdom version of Pirates, and I didn't see any drops.
    Has anyone experienced Disneyland's original version after riding the WDW version first?
    I've never been to Florida, but I bet that the drop improves the ride immensely.

I like Florida's queue area a little bit better
    and I kinda like that the enter/exit boat areas are separate.
    WDW doesn't have drops because it doesn't need to go under the berm (just like WDW HM elevator doesn't go up or down).
    And yes, the drops do add a little bit more to the ride.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

WDW's has a drop, its located just prior to the battle scene.
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

• Disney Dream 10/23!!

There is a drop, and it's because you have to go under the train tracks.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post

WDW's drop is ONE and very small. The reason being is that Florida's water table isn't as good as California's so they really can't go that deep (magic kingdom is already on the 2nd floor to begin with)

Paris, I haven't gone on but I think their drop is at the end.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Yeah I think there might be only one drop on the Pirates at WDW vs. the two drops at DL. I also think that the line for Pirates is a lot cooler, it's very much similar to the line on Indiana Jones at Disneyland. It's long and very detailed. But it's different, Pirates at DL is part of New Orleans Square, so the area around it is themed to a more New Orleans type atmosphere. While Pirates at WDW in in Adventureland, since they don't have NOS, so the outside lines are bound to be different. I wouldn't necessarily say better or worse, just different.

Same thing goes for Haunted Mansion. I brought a friend to DL for the first time recently and she remarked on how HM here looked different and she thought the one at WDW looked more like a real Haunted Mansion. But it's just different, here the Haunted Mansion is also in NOS, so it is made to look like an old Plantation home down in Louisiana, while HM in WDW is in Liberty Square, so it is meant to look more like an old North Eastern estate from some wealthy family. Although, a lot of the architecture doesn't really fit the time period of America during the Revolution. But yeah, so it's kind of hard to really say which one is better, because it's really apples and oranges. At least in terms of the outside of the ride.
    I would say that both The Haunted Mansion and Pirates rides are better at DL than WDW. They were built here first, the last things Walt personally oversaw, and like everything else, he got them just right. Then the imagineers, trying to live up to Walt, tried to recreate the rides, but also give them their own uniqueness for the Florida park, but in the process, I think they ended up messing up parts of the rides. Though they are still enjoyable.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

there is a drop. I thought the line in Disney World was very misleading actually and it didn't flow well, where as POTC Disneyland is part of new orleans square and the que wraps around the end of the ride turn around, bringing you to the bayou, etc. I was incredibly dissapointed actually with the Disney World version compared to the Disneyland version, then again, it was just supposed to be a quick solution for crowds while designing Western River Adventure for Disney World.

• Koubu Pilot

Re: The French version of Pirates: They have 2 drops. France's versions of some attractions have differences other than the French language. Examples include Casey Jr's mini coaster type system and Big Thunder Mountain being on the island in the middle of the Rivers of the Far West (the trains go under the river). For Pirates, they rearranged the show scene order. You still go through the Blue Lagoon and pass a restaurant, but you go up the lift to the upper story of the fortress where the pirates are battling. You reach the prison scene and see where part of the fort had been blown apart. It's here you go down the first drop into the scene where the you have the cannon fight. You go through the town scenes like normal and enter the armory (like Disneyland's) where the drunken pirates are firing pistols and the cannon around all the gun powder like at Disneyland. It's here you down the second drop as the place explodes. You enter the grotto and experience some of those scenes before reaching the unloading.

I experienced the WDW version first and I cannot tell you how much more I love the DLR version. To me, it has a completely different feel. Not only are the drops better placed, but the theming of the ride itself, in my opinion, is much better. A lot of people talk about the queue in FL being much better but that doesn't bother me; just get me on the ride!

FYI: a lot of the Youtube videos don't contain footage of the drops themselves, both in CA and FL. For one reason or another, a lot of people don't film the drops or cut out the footage (maybe they don't want their cameras to end up part of the pirate booty!).

I've gone back to WDW since riding in Disneyland and I almost don't even want to bother. But, eventually, that song just sucks me right in!

• Banned User

I would say that both The Haunted Mansion and Pirates rides are better at DL than WDW. They were built here first, the last things Walt personally oversaw, and like everything else, he got them just right. Then the imagineers, trying to live up to Walt, tried to recreate the rides, but also give them their own uniqueness for the Florida park, but in the process, I think they ended up messing up parts of the rides. Though they are still enjoyable.
    Have you been to the WDW Mansion since the refurb, James? The East Coast version is clearly the superior ride now, with more scenes and better technology on display.
    The DL Pirates is the best version, however.

• In Between inbetweens

Red Face Re: Riding Pirates at Disneyland After first riding the FLA version

I'm really looking foreard to my visit ti DL next week!
    Although I will miss the Haunted Mansion, I am really looking forward to my visit to the Pirates attraction.
    I'm a long time veteran of WDW- so I am totally stoked to see how the DL version differs from WDW. In fact- I didn't get the reference in the POTC film to the bayou and the twinkling fireflies until it was pointed pointed out to me by a friend who had been to DL.
    I've also got my reservations for Blue Bayou, and I believe I have a water view table.
    I'm also curious as to the new parts with Jack Sparrow- though I know a lot of people hate it, I do like the movies, and am looking forward to this part too.
    I was really disappointed with the PC upgrades to Pirates over the years..I hope I don't hate the Sparrow upgrades as much..

Im a little confused. There's no Jack Sparrow in WDWs Pirates attraction?

• Earning My Stripes

Sparrow is indeed in the WDW version of Pirates. While I loved the Spanish fortress queue, I missed the bayou setting at the start of the ride and a few of the opening scenes, such as the bar room skeleton scene, captain's quarters scene and I believe the mound-o-treasure scene.

• Banned User

I've yet to visit Disneyland, so I've only seen the WDW version of Pirates. I love it, but I have on quibble: I think the battle at sea scene ought to be majorly punched up. It's kind of kiddie as it is. There should be more and louder cannon fire, and more splashing, and maybe a storm. And they should put the Black Pearl in it! Think of the creepy haunted ship with its literal skeleton crew in that ride. That would sooooooooooooo rock!!!

• Earning My Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta Panther View Post
    I've yet to visit Disneyland, so I've only seen the WDW version of Pirates. I love it, but I have on quibble: I think the battle at sea scene ought to be majorly punched up. It's kind of kiddie as it is. There should be more and louder cannon fire, and more splashing, and maybe a storm. And they should put the Black Pearl in it! Think of the creepy haunted ship with its literal skeleton crew in that ride. That would sooooooooooooo rock!!!
    I've always thought the effects were pretty strong, at least in the Disneyland version. I get splashed consistently and once the boat was timed perfectly with a cannon shot from the fort which blew my mickey ears off my head. Good thing the strap was on.

However, I think the ride is fine as is, without any more Pirates movie tie-ins. I'm actually a little sad Blackbeard was replaced with Barbossa in that scene.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast