Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Welcome Home

Any Redesign Planned for the Area Between DL and DCA?

Perhaps I've missed it but haven't seen any plans for a much needed redo of the now barren area between the parks.

Of course it primarily needs to be empty to accomodate all the crowds back and forth, etc. but the area really needs some trees and landscaping, maybe even a small water feature or two. Particularily on hot sunny days.

Anyone know of any plans? Thanks!

Brian (dba Screwy Squirrel)

• MC's #1 Mars Volta fan

Re: Any Redesign Planned for the Area Between DL and DCA?

I doubt it it needs to be like that and they won't spend money on something that's functional and isn't a total eyesore.
    The kiosk in my temporal lobe is shaped like Rosalynn Carter!
    http://mongrelarchitect.tumblr.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/coolstoryaj

• =)

Not to my knowledge. While the esplanade could certainly be better, I think I'm with I.M. Loco on this - the money would be better spent elsewhere.

• Shopping With You

I've only been to DL once, but I had no problem with how that area was set up (in 2006).

• Senior Monorail Minion

It works... especially on crowded days... I mean I could see like a fountain and a few tress where that stupid granite compass star is in the middle (that they have to close off when it rains cause you'll slip and die) but otherwise no...
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    (that they have to close off when it rains cause you'll slip and die)
    Not "slip and fall" but "slip and DIE".
    disney world: 24
    contemporary, polynesian, caribbean beach, dolphin, wilderness lodge, dixie landings, port orleans

disneyland: 2
    next trip: september 2009 @ the disneyland hotel

• Comets? Comets!

Yeah, I would say an elaborate fountain or a nice statue (or both) would do nicely there. Maybe a statue of all the Disney characters and Walt or something.

Since DCA's turnstyles are moving out into this area and taking up the space where the letters are i doubt that they would even consider ever revisiting the idea of the fountain. That area between both parks sometimes gets pretty busy.

I would not mind that star/compass or whatever it is removed. I think that even small planter with some nice color would be better.

I do hope and constantly pray though that someone up high walks by the ugly orange tile fountain at the edge of DTD and sees how ugly it is.

I really feel that it should be torn out. Once that is done they might as well close of the tram access point in that area since its always closed off with those ugly steel barrier gates. redesign that corner and finally give the Disneyland resort parks the proper fountain that it deserves. Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong all have a gorgeous fountain as you enter the park. Disneyland resort should also have a nice big fountain similar in scale to those.

I also hope and pray that they finally make up their minds on what they are going to do about the so called "temporary" security check points. I really hate how they completely destroyed the area. They either remove them or build something permanent with nicely landscaped planters and rails next to them. Make the area feel like its part of its surrounding not some last minute bazaar/carnival entrance that just went up for the weekend

• Shopping With You

I take it back, a fountain would be nice!

• watch what happens

those "temporary" security tents are definatly an eye-sore. They are totally useless. The Cast Members are not Security Personnel, they are main entrance/ticket takers. They are a nuisance. I already waited in line for the tram, now I have to wait in a line for a checkpoint before waiting in more lines inside the parks? pointless. They don't even look for anything specific. Maybe its just me.

• Comets? Comets!

Quote Originally Posted by artastic View Post
    those "temporary" security tents are definatly an eye-sore. They are totally useless. The Cast Members are not Security Personnel, they are main entrance/ticket takers. They are a nuisance. I already waited in line for the tram, now I have to wait in a line for a checkpoint before waiting in more lines inside the parks? pointless. They don't even look for anything specific. Maybe its just me.
    No, you're right. They don't do any thorough search and one can easily bring a gun or a knife into the park. I've seen plenty of instances of hunting knives being brought into the park. I guess they're just looking for bombs?

And then they just let anyone by after the park closes, one can easily (and have) hide things at the ticket booths or main gate. I remember the "mysterious powder" a few months ago at the ticket booths.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by SolCross View Post
    Yeah, I would say an elaborate fountain or a nice statue (or both) would do nicely there. Maybe a statue of all the Disney characters and Walt or something.
    A combination would be nice ~ a multi level water fountain with the fab five. (but don't put Walt there). I'd like to see one as clever as the Tokyo Disney Sea character fountains,

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    It works... especially on crowded days... I mean I could see like a fountain and a few tress where that stupid granite compass star is in the middle (that they have to close off when it rains cause you'll slip and die) but otherwise no...

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Sounds like "Disney Lawyer" speak!

• hugs and peaches!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    That area between both parks sometimes gets pretty busy.

especially after the electrical parade cuz everyone stops in that area to watch the fireworks. I've done it before. why not? lol everyone else does. It's a great view.
    "Won't you please be my prisoner, please, please, please!"
    "I do not like the cone of shame"
    "Oh! A ball! Oh boy! Oh boy! a ball!!"
    "Hey, I know a joke! A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, "I forgot to store acorns for the winter and now I am dead." Ha! It is funny because the squirrel gets dead."
    "I hid under your porch because I love you."

-Dug=the cutest dog ever!!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

IMO, the DLR esplanade is one of the greatest gathering spaces in Southern California. There is a wonderful intermingling of people coming in from all directions -- north, south, east, and west.

Most people are just flowing through from one point to another, but on a deeper psychological and sociological level this area also seems to encorage a good amount of interpersonal activity.

While trees and fountains sound nice it would place psychological barriers in this area that really fosters hustle and bustle and unique interactions among people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast