Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Wishing upon a star....

Good Disneyland book?

I just finished The Disneyland (unauthorized) Encyclopedia. I really enjoyed learning the history of each ride. There are still four weeks before my October trip and I wanted to get another book to enjoy and add to my knowledge. (Yes, I will admit that I like to show off and impress the rest of my party with my Disney knowledge).

Does anyone have book to recommend for my next reading? I like history and trivia and little known facts. Does anyone have a favorite Disneyland book? Hopefully, one that is not too hard to find at Barnes & Noble or Amazon.

Thanks for your help!

• in the Golden Afternoon

Re: Good Disneyland book?

I have one that is called Mouse Tales: A Behind The Ears Look at Disneyland. the author is David Koenig.

It's interesting enough that I've read it multiple times.

A few of the chapter titles include; The Making of the Mouse, Underground Disneyland, A Cast of Characters, The Tragic Kingdom, Fatal Attractions, Lawsuit Land, and Taken for a Ride.

I ordered three books that came in the mail just a few minutes ago from Amazon. I ordered Designing Disney by John Hench, Walt Disney's Imagineering Legends and the Genesis of the Disney Theme Park, and The Imagineering Field Guide to Disneyland. I've not started really reading into it, but I know that all the books are full of insider trivia and the process and tricks of creating theme and the concept of "the show" in a Disney theme park. I think I'm going to enjoy reading them.

• Future Skipper

I have a few, but my favorite is definitely the Unauthorized Disneyland Encyclopedia. I also have the Imagineering Field Guide to Disneyland which is pretty interesting. There's another one called [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Mountains-Imagineering-Its-Peak/dp/1423101553/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252552078&sr=1-14"]Disney Mountains: Imagineering at Its Peak. [/ame] I havn't read it, but it looks pretty good.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    I have a few, but my favorite is definitely the Unauthorized Disneyland Encyclopedia. I also have the Imagineering Field Guide to Disneyland which is pretty interesting. There's another one called Disney Mountains: Imagineering at Its Peak. I havn't read it, but it looks pretty good.
    i've read anmd have that book it pretty good with a good amount of detail.

• =)

Jason Surrell's done some good books on the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and the various ________ Mountains. I recommend those, for sure. Designing Disney is engaging and illuminating in terms of the philosophies that make for outstanding theme park design, which is unsurprising, considering who the author is. There's also a book simply called Walt Disney Imagineering. It's not Disneyland-specific, and it can go a little heavy on the Eisner-era company line, but it's got a lot of great eye candy and some truly insightful material scattered amongst its pages.

• Banned User

Disneyland: Then, Now, and Forever offers an inside look at the creation of Disneyland and its history.

• is poppin' tags

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Jason Surrell's done some good books on the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and the various ________ Mountains. I recommend those, for sure.
    I have read all of these at least twice over....lots of pictures, lots of tidbits, weird facts. However, in the HM book, the author actually says the Hat Box Ghost was NEVER part of the ride! But Tony Baxter says otherwise! You be the judge!
    Last edited by leopardchucks; 09-09-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: icky spelling
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

• Future Skipper

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Jason Surrell's done some good books on the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and the various ________ Mountains. I recommend those, for sure. Designing Disney is engaging and illuminating in terms of the philosophies that make for outstanding theme park design, which is unsurprising, considering who the author is. There's also a book simply called Walt Disney Imagineering. It's not Disneyland-specific, and it can go a little heavy on the Eisner-era company line, but it's got a lot of great eye candy and some truly insightful material scattered amongst its pages.
    Oh yeah, I have his Pirates book. It's amazing! If you like Pirates of the Caribbean, I seriously suggest picking it up.

• is poppin' tags

You can also check out Disneyland's Hidden Mickeys by Steven M. Barrett. Although some of the "hidden" Mickey heads are slightly laughable, it was fun to go searching for them. We were total dorks about it. Dorkiness= FUN!
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

• Wishing upon a star....

Wow! Thanks for the input thus far.
    My "to read" list of books is growing. I knew you guys would have some good books to recommend.

• Minion

i really like mouse tales i have read it a couple times u will learn alot to wow you friends with i know i did.

• Faerie Godmother

I highly recommend Mouse Tales and its sequel by the same author, More Mouse Tales. David Koenig also wrote a book about Disney's animated films called Mouse Under Glass, which includes a few tidbits about the parks--specifically the rides, shows, and parades based on the films.

One that no one has mentioned yet is The Disneyland Detective by Kendra Trahan. There's tons of detailed information in there about the Main Street windows, the heraldic shields on King Arthur Carrousel, and other things that most guests take no notice of but that really enhance the charm for those in the know. I especially recommend the 50th Anniversary edition, which includes some gorgeous color photos of the five crowns that were put on Sleeping Beauty Castle. (And apparently she now has one out called Disney's California Adventure Detective...methinks I should pay a visit to Messrs. Barnes and Noble sometime soon.)

For a more humorous take on the DLR, get a hold of The Liar's Guide to Disneyland by Horatio Q. Liar (pen name for the owner of the disneylies.com website). The first lie is that everything in the book is a lie--some of it is in fact entirely truthful, just irrelevant (how to get to Disneyland via swimming) or presented so snarkily that you won't take away a mite of useful information. Not for anyone with genuine questions, the faint of heart, or members of most religions.
    Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

The Mouse Tales are both excellent books with great insider information. For an excellent biography on Walt, I would read "WALT DISNEY: AN AMERICAN ORIGINAL" by Bob Thomas.

• Haunted Mansion Fanatic

I think the best book ever made about Disneyland and its comprehensive history is Disneyland: The Nickel Tour by Bruce Gordon and David Mumford. Sadly though, it's out of print now and often goes for incredibly high prices, but it's an excellent book that goes into details and photo and story histories behind almost every major attraction, shop, and restaurant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast