• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

What if "It's A Small World" was only a song?

I've seen many posts throughout my Micechat years regarding the song to iasw and how it annoys people how it gets "stuck in their head" all day long.

A thought came into my head this morning. What if iasw never was a Disneyland attraction? What if It's A Small World was strictly a popular song and had absolutely no relation to Disneyland or even with Walt Disney for that matter?

If this were the case do you think these people would find still find this song to be annoying?

In my opinion, It's A Small World is a great piece of music. Structured similarly to the "Ode To Joy" from Beethoven's 9th Symphony, it expresses its theme simply yet eloquently. I think many people like this song for what it is. But I also think many people do not like it because it is paired with the attraction at Disneyland and maybe it is the attraction itself that causes some people to not appreciate the song as much as they normally would.

So what do you think? Does iasw the attraction diminish any beauty that iasw the song may have?

Let's discuss...

• Future Cast Member

Re: What if "It's A Small World" was only a song?

I think many people just joke the song is annoying, because if you do go on for 24 hours straight, it would probably drive you insane. I love the song, too! But i appreciate the attraction. I don't think I'd admire it by itself. It makes the ride what it is, and the ride makes the song what it is.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I think that the length of the ride might have something to do with the fact that people find the song annoying.

I remember when I was a teenager. My brother would wait until Friday, when they would broadcast the top 10 songs on the radio. Then he would go out, and buy a few of the new top ten songs, if he didn't already have them. If he especially liked one, he would play it over, and over, and over again, until I'd want to smash it over his head.

The song is great that is played on It's a Small World. How long is the song exactly, in it's entirety, compared to the ride? Sometimes too much of a good thing makes you crazy.

• Faerie Godmother

I don't find the song nearly as repetitive on the ride as most people seem to. It's fascinating to me to listen to how the instrumentation and rhythm and chords change as you move from one country to the next. Sometimes, without having gone anywhere near Disneyland for weeks, I'll get certain snippets stuck in my head just because the instrumental tricks are so distinctive. Polynesia with the drums and swooping ukulele, Ireland with the harp and "The Irish Washerwoman" overlaid on the main melody, Egypt's mellow flute and minor key shading into the raucous rising tones of sub-Saharan Africa...don't try to tell me it's the same thing over and over for 15-20 minutes.
    More to Disneyland than meets the eye? You don't know the half of it...
    Knights of the Magic Kingdom

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    How long is the song exactly, in it's entirety, compared to the ride? Sometimes too much of a good thing makes you crazy.
    My mom used to have a 12" record of the song that was like the "official soundtrack" record of the ride. But I can't remember how long the song was!

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    In my opinion, It's A Small World is a great piece of music. Structured similarly to the "Ode To Joy" from Beethoven's 9th Symphony, it expresses its theme simply yet eloquently. I think many people like this song for what it is. But I also think many people do not like it because it is paired with the attraction at Disneyland and maybe it is the attraction itself that causes some people to not appreciate the song as much as they normally would.
    As a rebuttal I will say I have ridden IASW while listening to AC/DC's Highway to Hell... and suddenly I enjoyed my ride!

To me it is the song that is annoying irrespective of what attraction it may be played on.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My grandson refuses to ride the ride. When he was younger, he would ride and put his fingers in his ears. Now that he is 16, if we happened to get him on it, which I highly doubt, he would most likely be listening to Heavy Metal Music on his iPod while he was doing it.

I personally love the ride. Sometimes, I ride, and take a lot of photographs, othertimes, I just sit back and enjoy the sights. I especially love the hula dancers. I wish I could do that.