• Northern Disney Crazy Gal

suggestions/opinions needed

We are coming down in April. It will be my husband's 30 birthday and my oldest son's 3rd. I would like to do character dining for one of the days. I can't decide if it should be on by DH b-day(sat) or my DS b-day(thu) and if it should be a breakfast, lunch or supper. Money is okay but deffinetly not there for 2 character meals. Does anything special happen if it's your birthday at the meal? Should we go on a different day and spend the b-day's entirely in the park? If you were in this situation what would you do?
    Any other suggestions on what I could do to make my DH b-day memorable...he's beyond disney obsessed and I kinda want to do something special but not expensive...and in the park. So far it's just going to be my husband, myself and our 2 sons (2 & 1 right now) I'm trying to get his mom, dad, bro and sis to come but they don't know yet if they can.
    Thanks everyone for any help or suggestions
    Going to Disneyland April 2010 for DH Big 30 and Jake's 3rd birthday
    Engaged Disney World 2002..Honeymoon Disneyland 2004..Disneyland '05, '06, '08
    DH:29.....
    . J: 35 months
    Me:29...... E: 22 months

• Just splashing around...

Re: suggestions/opinions needed

I have never done the character dining, so I can't comment on that other than it seems like it might be more appropriate to do that for your son's birthday, rather than your husband's as I understand the character dining is really geared towards kids. Unless your husband would really get excited about it, in which case, go for it. Maybe your son is still too young to really recognize and appreciate the characters? Just a thought.

As for other birthday activities in the park... Get birthday buttons at City Hall (they will get lots of "Happy Birthday" wishes from CMs and guests if they wear them). Pick up a package of free tortillas at the tortilla factory in DCA. Other than that, you'll just need to make the day special on your own. You could bring a birthday candle and a lighter and get a piece of delicious carrot cake or ice cream sundae on Main Street, and have your own little private party.

• Future Cast Member

I say do it Friday, in between both their birthday. They give you a birthday pin like in the parks at the character dining. and it depends on the restaurant you want to go for the meal time. for example, the stitch one is breakfast. My little brothers 3, we've been doing character dining since he was born. They appreciate the characters and recognize them if they've seen some disney movies, trust me.

I say do it on a weekday, less busy.
    I have spent 80 days of my life at Disneyland.

• Making my own Mousekteers

To be honest they don't have a really great general character breakfast. The princess one is fantastic but that's not going to help you. I would recommend doing the one on Main Street in the mornings because the food is really good and it has a wide variety of characters. The Lilo & Stitch breakfast is great food but hey only have like 5 characters. If you have a birthday button on either your husband or son they will give you a free dessert at pretty much any sit down restaurant.

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

• Northern Disney Crazy Gal

thanks everyone for the info, we will probably do it on a different day...mon, tue, wed since it will be less busy...we're going to be there for 8 days so lots of time. It's funny my nephew knows all about dinosaurs but my two little guys know all about Disney... my oldest has had a pirates theme room since birth...and his first ride last year was potc. We've trained them well :o)
    Going to Disneyland April 2010 for DH Big 30 and Jake's 3rd birthday
    Engaged Disney World 2002..Honeymoon Disneyland 2004..Disneyland '05, '06, '08
    DH:29.....
    . J: 35 months
    Me:29...... E: 22 months