Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123451227 ... LastLast

Re: Iger: No plans to bring ‘Captain EO’ back to Disneyland

Personally, it's not so much about him being "appropriate" or not, as much as it just looks like Disney is going for money. If they wanted to have it as a tribute it would've been in better taste to quickly retrofit the theater to show the video for a week or so before it reverts back to HISTA.

Were I CEO (which I am not), I would elect not to bring this back for a few reasons:

• It's dated. Horribly so. In an area of the park that gets slammed for not updating often enough, and not being futuristic enough. Where empty tracks abound (PM/RR). It just doesn't fit.
    • Reputation. Returning this back so long after the fact makes it look like Disney is trying to sell tickets. It reeks of an awful marketing ploy. I can already see Disney coming under fire for being told they are stooping incredibly low to increase profits and attendance.
    • Appropriateness. While I personally am not so concerned about appropriateness of Jackson's life (he was never acquited of the charges), many people are. Enough people to be incredibly vocal about this. Just the fact that he was accused so many times (whether rightfully so or not) is enough to cause the average person to wonder what on earth an old Jackson flick is doing in Disneyland.
    • Appeal. At the end of the day, who is this really going to appeal to? Obsessive Disney fanboys who want to see Tomorrowland return to its 1967 aesthetic, and a limited number of Jackson fans. Most Jackson fans are not going to travel across the country to see a 17-minute video, and pay $70 plus hotel, airfare, meals, etc. It's incredibly unrealistic. Sure, it may be an excuse for some to weave it as part of a bigger vacation, but Disney appeals to people because of a wide range of things to do, so this would just be (maybe) a little blip on the attendance presentations.

There's just too many negatives of this returning that I can see why Iger would make the statement he did. Disney would be better off doing two things:

1. creating a couple displays at DCA and DHS with Captain EO memorabilia (such as in the display cases after the Great Movie Ride or Backlot Tram Tour).
    2. 2. Remastering and releasing the video on Blu-Ray and DVD, but not doing any sort of large-scale marketing for it. This should satisfy fans who normally would be relegated to grainy VHS tapes and low-res YouTube videos. If possible, throw a pair of 3d glasses in there.

I would venture a guess that far more people wanted to see the wand be taken down from Spaceship Earth than would want to see a return of Captain EO.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by »PW View Post
    "You lie!"
    I can sum that up with this LOL

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgcjRu1s-8]YouTube - LIES!!![/ame]

Anyway, I'm not sure whats going on, but I wouldn't mind If EO returned or not.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadoe View Post
    Well, yeah, it is interesting that he doesn't shut the door completely on the idea. But, it just seems like it would be in incredibly poor taste on Disney's part to return this movie to the park. It's something that would only truly appeal to a small group of Disney fanboys, not Disney's wide audience. It would be akin to rebuilding Adventures Through Inner Space or Astuter Computer Revue.
    I must say you couldn't be further from the truth. There are so many fans of Michael Jackson that the attraction would have hour long lines for its return. The thing that really got me steamed is your little jab at Adventure Thru Inner Space, an attraction that still to this day has tons of people calling for its return. There are so many individuals out there that I know that aren't "Disney fanboys" and loved this attraction. It's like saying that if Haunted Mansion or POTC had to close because of becomming outdated that Disney would be stupid to bring it back in a modern form. A little imagination and budget would bring this concept into the 21st century and would be well received better than anything they could come up with today, the submarine voyage has proven this.

Most Jackson fans are not going to travel across the country to see a 17-minute video, and pay $70 plus hotel, airfare, meals, etc. It's incredibly unrealistic. Sure, it may be an excuse for some to weave it as part of a bigger vacation, but Disney appeals to people because of a wide range of things to do, so this would just be (maybe) a little blip on the attendance presentations.
    What about the millions of Michael Jackson fans in California? We can also venture to say the Staple Center funeral is proof that this attraction would be popular if it returns.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 09-11-2009 at 11:55 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ♥disney.princess♥ View Post
    Thank goodness! I hope this is true. Michael Jackson is just innapropriate. The things he's done, or at least been accused for, and just cause hes famous he gets away with things in the court is sad. Plus, he's afraid to be himself, so much he changed his skin color and everything. Nothing about him belongs in a disney park. Just because hes dead doesnt make him a saint.
    Michael Jackson was accused by a kid who refused to cooperate with authorities AFTER him and his dad (who was taped saying "If I go through with this, I win big-time. There's no way I lose. I will get everything I want and they will be destroyed forever ... Michael's career will be over") got a payday. The kid's mother, very firmly, denied any wrong doing by Michael Jackson.

He was then acquitted of charges in court on the 2nd accusation because the accuser made a horrible witness and the DA had nothing more than circumstantial evidence that amounted to nothing.

What is important to remember is that Michael Jackson was portrayed as a freak... which makes him an easy target to those looking for a big payday.

Also, Michael Jackson had vitilgo and lupus. His skin had blotches of lighter pigmentation. The application of make-up to even out the blotches made his skin appear even lighter.

There is a difference between accusations vs. substantiated evidence and rumor vs. fact.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by evmo View Post
    Well the attraction is dead, no pun intended.

Lot's of people would see this as a tribute but I think it's a little late for that. A far more fitting tribute is the low key display of the EO items at D23.

I have no desire to see this dated film return. The whole idea feels like a ploy to make a quick buck, not to mention I see it as major step backwards. I want something new and exciting in that theater or just just please rip it out and use the space for a new attraction.

If you really want to see EO again just watch it on YouTube.
    HISTA is terrible though. I think it would be totally appropriate to bring EO back for a year while working on the next thing for the theater (or space). I'm definitely not saying a permanent return would work. It wouldn't.

• "I Break Things"

Quick someone get Uncle Marty out of retirement so we can have an amazingly well crafted letter to send out to the outraged fans.

Then we can play some "Beat It" music while we dust off the old "Save EO" signs from a decade ago and protest this horrific decision by the evil Disney empire. I can't believe they won't replace an old dated show in Tomorrowland with an equally old, seriously dated show. This is an honest tribute to Michael... costing $70 for admission plus travel, hotel and parking.

Ask yourselves... if Michael was alive would they even consider bringing back EO?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Kawasaki Kreep

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyDanger View Post
    HISTA is terrible though. I think it would be totally appropriate to bring EO back for a year while working on the next thing for the theater (or space). I'm definitely not saying a permanent return would work. It wouldn't.
    Oh yeah HISTA is terrible but putting EO back isn't the answer. Personally I think the whole 3D movie idea is no longer viable for an attraction at all. Most new major animated movies are being released in 3D, it's becoming pretty commonplace these days. I feel the theater needs to be retired as a whole and the space used as part of a massive new E ticket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Jenny1987 View Post
    Oh dear sweet zombie jesus on a stick no.

• Hello again!

Appeal. At the end of the day, who is this really going to appeal to? Obsessive Disney fanboys who want to see Tomorrowland return to its 1967 aesthetic, and a limited number of Jackson fans. Most Jackson fans are not going to travel across the country to see a 17-minute video, and pay $70 plus hotel, airfare, meals, etc. It's incredibly unrealistic.

I am going to have to disagree with this, EO would bring in a ton of APers not to mention SOCAL has so many people that would be able to drive to DLR that aren't APers who might want to check out EO. And again, EO has the Star Wars theme as well as MJ to draw in the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Sorry I take offense to this statement since this is exactly the kind of response you were looking for.

I must say you couldn't be further from the truth. There are so many fans of Michael Jackson that the attraction would have hour long lines for its return. The thing that really got me steamed is your little jab at Adventure Thru Inner Space, an attraction that still to this day has tons of people calling for its return. There are so many individuals out there that I know that aren't "Disney fanboys" and loved this attraction. It's like saying that if Haunted Mansion or POTC had to close because of becomming outdated that Disney would be stupid to bring it back in a modern form. A little imagination and budget would bring this concept into the 21st century and would be well received better than anything they could come up with today.
    I'm sorry to offend. That was not my intent. I consider myself to be a Disney fanboy. I'd love nothing more than to see Horizons re-open, or have a chance in 1967 Tomorrowland for a day.

However, things that are timeless have a place and stay. POTC, IASW, Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, Great Movie Ride, etc. transcend time because they appeal to nearly everyone regardless of era and age. Regardless of the direction the parks go in, these attractions are loved and continue to be main-stays. Sometimes they go "on hiatus" like the Subs or Carousel of Progress, but they always return.

I doubt anyone would try to make the argument that Captain EO or Adventures Through Inner Space is amongst the same category as the attractions I posted above.

If the argument you present is true, why not bring back the The Making of Me if Martin Short were to pass away? It would be incredibly tacky, and would not reflect well upon the company. The film certainly had it's fair share of people who loved it, and it presented the topic of human conception very well, but that doesn't mean it still has a place.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Quick someone get Uncle Marty out of retirement so we can have an amazingly well crafted letter to send out to the outraged fans.

Then we can play some "Beat It" music while we dust off the old "Save EO" signs from a decade ago and protest this horrific decision by the evil Disney empire. I can't believe they won't replace an old dated show in Tomorrowland with an equally old, seriously dated show. This is an honest tribute to Michael... costing $70 for admission plus travel, hotel and parking.

Ask yourselves... if Michael was alive would they even consider bringing back EO?
    I think what is being missed is that I don't believe anyone is implying it should return as a permanent solution to HISTA. There is a large number of people who want to see it back, if only temporarily. Far more than want to see HISTA there anymore. So for a year, the EO fans get their fix and then, in 2011, something completely new for everyone. Sounds good to me.

And no, they wouldn't considering bring it back if he were alive... until he died. Which he did... so it's relevent.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

I'm sorry to offend. That was not my intent. I consider myself to be a Disney fanboy. I'd love nothing more than to see Horizons re-open, or have a chance in 1967 Tomorrowland for a day.

However, things that are timeless have a place and stay. POTC, IASW, Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, Great Movie Ride, etc. transcend time because they appeal to nearly everyone regardless of era and age. Regardless of the direction the parks go in, these attractions are loved and continue to be main-stays. Sometimes they go "on hiatus" like the Subs or Carousel of Progress, but they always return.

I doubt anyone would try to make the argument that Captain EO or Adventures Through Inner Space is amongst the same category as the attractions I posted above.

If the argument you present is true, why not bring back the The Making of Me if Martin Short were to pass away? It would be incredibly tacky, and would not reflect well upon the company. The film certainly had it's fair share of people who loved it, and it presented the topic of human conception very well, but that doesn't mean it still has a place.
    Your right about Captain EO not being in the same league. It doesn't deserve a long term return but a temporary overlay until they figure out what to replace the theater with would be a good option.

Adventure Thru Inner Space is another story though, it can be considered by many to be a classic. Perhaps not on the level of POTC or HM but still deserves to be brought back in some form.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by evmo View Post
    Oh yeah HISTA is terrible but putting EO back isn't the answer. Personally I think the whole 3D movie idea is no longer viable for an attraction at all. Most new major animated movies are being released in 3D, it's becoming pretty commonplace these days. I feel the theater needs to be retired as a whole and the space used as part of a massive new E ticket.
    I'd be fine with them using the space for something else. I just don't see a problem with EO returning until they do. Demand for EO's return is much greater than current demand for HISTA. More people will be in that theater if EO returns rather than if they just keep running HISTA. I think there was maybe 40 people in that theater last time I saw HISTA, it will be packed if EO returns. But again, only temporarily.

• Future Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyDanger View Post
    Michael Jackson was accused by a kid who refused to cooperate with authorities AFTER him and his dad (who was taped saying "If I go through with this, I win big-time. There's no way I lose. I will get everything I want and they will be destroyed forever ... Michael's career will be over") got a payday. The kid's mother, very firmly, denied any wrong doing by Michael Jackson.

He was then acquitted of charges in court on the 2nd accusation because the accuser made a horrible witness and the DA had nothing more than circumstantial evidence that amounted to nothing.

What is important to remember is that Michael Jackson was portrayed as a freak... which makes him an easy target to those looking for a big payday.

Also, Michael Jackson had vitilgo and lupus. His skin had blotches of lighter pigmentation. The application of make-up to even out the blotches made his skin appear even lighter.

There is a difference between accusations vs. substantiated evidence and rumor vs. fact.
    He said he had that skin condition. Doesnt mean it was true. I know someone with a condition like that, and even if he covered the blotches up, it wouldn't look that even

• Kawasaki Kreep

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Your right about Captain EO not being in the same league but Adventure Thru Inner Space can be considered by many to be a classic. Perhaps not on the level of POTC or HM but still deserves to be brought back in some form.

I dunno about that...I was gone before I made my first trip but family has told me that it was really boring, most of them went once and then skipped it ever after.

• Kawasaki Kreep

Quote Originally Posted by ♥disney.princess♥ View Post
    He said he had that skin condition. Doesnt mean it was true. I know someone with a condition like that, and even if he covered the blotches up, it wouldn't look that even
    You never read the autopsy results.

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123451227 ... LastLast