Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 12345671429 ... LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Iger: No plans to bring ‘Captain EO’ back to Disneyland

Nostalgia by definition does not keep people coming back and back and back again. The whole reason the affection is there is because of the LOSS of availability to it. If you can get it whenever you want - the extraordinary attraction fades.

The 'bring back the...' crowd always overlook this. It's why things work great as an exhibit, or a limited availability thing - and not as simply restoring the original and expecting it to be popular forever. ATIS in it's original form would be a complete joke today.

Sure, people may be nostalgic about the house they grew up in, or the town, or their first girlfriend, etc. They love to go back, and see them again, to relive their memories of the past. However, that does not mean they want to move back, live there again, dump their wife and marry their first girlfriend who is now ugly and old.

Same with EO - people want to experience again what is no longer available - but that urge will wear off quickly and then it's purely up to the attraction itself to maintain the crowd draw. And in that case - this attraction is dated and out of it's league today.

How many Captain EO threads do we need anyways? They all cover the same exact thing.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    ATIS in it's original form would be a complete joke today.

Same with EO - people want to experience again what is no longer available - but that urge will wear off quickly and then it's purely up to the attraction itself to maintain the crowd draw. And in that case - this attraction is dated and out of it's league today.
    That's not what is being argued for though. Everyone is in agreement that Captain EO should only be a limited time engagement if it returns. For ATIS I never made a statement stating we should bring it back exactly how it was before. I'm saying use your imagination and see the potential for a state of the art 21st century version, the concept is golden.

• Kawasaki Kreep

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    All I am saying is look at the attraction concept not the abused ride that you see at the end of its life. Anyone who tells me that such a cool theme couldn't be implemented in a modern version is kidding himself.
    I'm not so sure about that. Keep in mind I never went on the attraction myself so for all I know I could have missed out on the best ride ever. Strictly going off the pictures and shorts that I've seen though I think the concept is one that would have been great 40 years ago but would not have much appeal today. I find sub atomic particles fascinating but I would rather listen to a real lecture on them than go on a ride with a few scenes about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Jenny1987 View Post
    Oh dear sweet zombie jesus on a stick no.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I'm saying use your imagination and see the potential for a state of the art 21st century version.
    You mean like Body Wars? That's essentially the same train of thought.

But to do what you say, then we wouldn't be bringing back ATIS - you'd be building a new attraction. And please, yes many do call for the identical old attraction to be brought back (Skyway, PM, CBJ, and the list goes on).

Simply put.. people want (at least least they think they do) what they no longer have. Once they get it back, they quickly remember why they walked away/passed it over last time.

Some attractions are just too much to really update and keep relative. Others are easier to update and keep fresh because the content itself is timeless and you don't have to recreate the whole thing to keep it attractive to people.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by evmo View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. Keep in mind I never went on the attraction myself so for all I know I could have missed out on the best ride ever. Strictly going off the pictures and shorts that I've seen though I think the concept is one that would have been great 40 years ago but would not have much appeal today. I find sub atomic particles fascinating but I would rather listen to a real lecture on them than go on a ride with a few scenes about it.
    The problem is your thinking about the concept from a boring educational standpoint, I'm thinking about it from an adventure aspect, hence ADVENTURE thru inner space.

You mean like Body Wars? That's essentially the same train of thought.

But to do what you say, then we wouldn't be bringing back ATIS - you'd be building a new attraction. And please, yes many do call for the identical old attraction to be brought back (Skyway, PM, CBJ, and the list goes on).

Simply put.. people want (at least least they think they do) what they no longer have. Once they get it back, they quickly remember why they walked away/passed it over last time.

Some attractions are just too much to really update and keep relative. Others are easier to update and keep fresh because the content itself is timeless and you don't have to recreate the whole thing to keep it attractive to people.
    I think your starting to understand that what I'm proposing isn't the same exact attraction, just using the theme. I'm not calling for an identicle attraction, anyone can see that would be a failure. It doesn't have to be going through a body, it could be shrinking you down to the size of a molecule and running into dangers along the way. Heck they can even reuse the exploring a snowflake idea.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 09-11-2009 at 12:58 PM.

• Kawasaki Kreep

The problem is your thinking about the concept from a boring educational standpoint, I'm thinking about it from an adventure aspect, hence ADVENTURE thru inner space.
    I think your starting to understand that what I'm proposing isn't the same exact attraction, just using the theme.
    Yeah but inner space isn't exciting for the general population anymore. Just like satellite launches and rover mission to the mars no longer generate much, if any, public acclaim. Heck we actually have a space station up there right now and no one cares. These things would have been huge 40 years ago but now, like the idea of inner space, have become part of daily life.

• Pilot EdForceOne

ATIS has nothing to do with space travel or the idea of rockets, etc.

It was a journey into physics, chemsitry, and the wonders of the newly discovered areas of science.

The problem is - science and technology move on. Disney attractions do not

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Kawasaki Kreep

ATIS has nothing to do with space travel or the idea of rockets, etc.

It was a journey into physics, chemsitry, and the wonders of the newly discovered areas of science.

The problem is - science and technology move on. Disney attractions do not
    I know. I used those as examples of what the general population once thought was fascinating but no longer does.

• Here to change the world

I sure hope the big announcement is tomorrow! Still holding out hope!

• Banned User

As I've said before.. I'll wait until tomorrow before I get my hopes up or not.

It won't hurt me if it doesn't come back, but it would be nice to see it... I never got to see it in person. First trip was in 1998 for New Tomorrowland.

• Disney Fan

Why are so many people so mad about this potentially coming back? If you don't want to see it, don't watch it! Unless you are bummed that it will be playing while you are there and would cause you to miss HISTA.

I for one never liked the Country Bear Jamboree (yes, I know) but if Disney decided to bring it back I wouldn't try to rain on your parade and thread with comments about how they shouldn't bring it back. How it is old and meant to be left in a closet etc.....

If they do bring back EO I would love it and go see it at least once. But I think it would only be for a short amount of time anyways so what is the big deal?

I am just saying......
    --Leslie ~See my photos on FLICKR ~

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by leslie_537 View Post
    Why are so many people so mad about this potentially coming back?
    Disney shouldn't associate its family-oriented product with a deviant.

• Future Cast Member

The big deal is none of the bears in Country Bear Jamboree were ashamed of themselves and messed with little kids

EDIT: Steve sums it up perfectly in the post above mine

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Disney shouldn't associate its family-oriented product with a deviant.
    That's assuming everyone thinks of Michael Jackson that way.

Some like to remember only the good.

And Captain EO is part of that "good".

• Banned User

So... when will we have to start calling MJ a "fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo"? Cause I have a feeling we're getting close.

Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 12345671429 ... LastLast