Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Future Indy Castmember

Re: Shuttle over Disneyland??

Quote Originally Posted by eticketdream View Post
    My whole house shook! I thought it was an earthquake.. eek!
    Same here! I thought another earthquake was happening LOL.

But anyone at DL at the time should've heard something when the shuttle returned to Earth.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Heard it here in Garden Grove.....2 booms to be exact.
    I could have sworn that we heard about 3 over here in the Fullerton area. The kids came running in thinking it was an earthquake. I only realized what it was when I glanced at the news and saw that it was landing at Edwards.

• now on the mainland

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    I heard it, couldn't figure out what it was at first! It's amazing how fast it is, after the booms, less than a minute later it lands; and I'm in Fullerton, over 80 miles away from the base!
    It really is hard to imagine. In order just to orbit the earth its velocity is several times faster than the speed of a bullet. It circles the earth every 90 seconds. By the time it fully enters the atmosphere it basically has bled off most of its speed and is nearly on top of the base. From there it just goes into a controlled free fall. If you ever try the shuttle landing in X-Plane or the freeware program at Orbiter - A free space flight simulator you really get a sense of how insane and how precise the whole process it is.

Its no wonder that only the best pilots get selected to be shuttle pilots. Every time I fly and the plane lands I am always reminded of what one of the astronauts said on one of the first shuttle flights, "Are we on the ground? Oh! We are!" Needless to say I still haven't found a commercial pilot that landed that good.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Man_In_HI View Post
    [...]It circles the earth every 90 seconds.
    I know you meant to say minutes, but just to clarify for others reading.
    90 minutes.

Yeah, the shuttle is an amazing piece of technology, but when it is coming in to land, it's basically a rock plummeting out of the sky in a semi-controlled state of total chaos. It is planned and plotted down to the last second and foot. And they come in screaming fast too... even after most of the energy has bled off.

Here's some cool info on Landing the Shuttle

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• I'm not really here

Couldn't resist this:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts_pS0BM95o&feature=related]YouTube - Space Shuttle Night Reentry[/ame]
    Shuttle re-entry at night. The glow is a ball of plasma (atoms with the electrons stripped off. Fire is a plasma) surrounding it and the trail is lit by the moon.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• now on the mainland

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I know you meant to say minutes, but just to clarify for others reading.
    90 minutes.
    Doh! Sorry about that. I proof-read my post three times before sending it and never caught that...must've been more tired than I thought

• Go Seahawks!

Thank you so much for the video. I grew up in Lancaster and was fortunate to see and touch most of the shuttles as a kid. They would put them together in Palmedale and then haul them on a pick flatbed trailer to Edwards. Growing up in Lancaster you heard sonic booms everyday. It's always fun to see a persons reaction when they have never heard one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12