Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shuttle over Disneyland??

The Shuttle is about 20 minutes away from landing at Edwards Airforce Base and it should go directly over LA in about 15 minutes. Will it be visible from Disneyland? I would think so. And you should hear the sonic boom!

Anyone there to hear/see it?

• Closed Account

Re: Shuttle over Disneyland??

You mean "booms."

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    You mean "booms."
    Yes, booms! But it should have happened by now. Wonder if anyone saw/heard it at DL.

• Closed Account

It might have been more audible in an enclosed space, where the sound waves could have bounced against window glass (those booms would scare the crap out of me some mornings...)

• Still wants to be a cat!

Heard it here in Garden Grove.....2 booms to be exact.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

I just heard it for sure, thought someone hit the side of my house.

• Release your doo-dahs!

My whole house shook! I thought it was an earthquake.. eek!

• Closed Account

When the Shuttle landings moved to FL, it was like a old friend had moved away...

I lived in Agoura when the Shuttle was being built. Dad worked for Rocketdyne, helping design and test the SSMEs. Sometimes, after I got home from school, I could hear them testing those huge engines all the way from the Chatsworth test stand (since dismantled).

• Rock Star Minion

I felt them here in T.O.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

I don't get why NASA has to build their launch site over there in Florida. Florida always have nasty weather and thunderstorms almost every single day during the summer months. it's very humid over there.

Why can't they build them here in sunny Southern California where the weather is always perfect.

I don't get it. Why do they have mission control in Houston, TX, if the space shuttle doesn't even launch there.

Now they have to spend 2 millions to fly their baby back home. That's what you get for building it over there.

Quote Originally Posted by asianbma View Post
    I don't get why NASA has to build their launch site over there in Florida. Florida always have nasty weather and thunderstorms almost every single day during the summer months. it's very humid over there.

Why can't they build them here in sunny Southern California where the weather is always perfect.

I don't get it. Why do they have mission control in Houston, TX, if the space shuttle doesn't even launch there.

Now they have to spend 2 millions to fly their baby back home. That's what you get for building it over there.
    Uh, you wouldn't want them launching over land would you? Dropping the solid rocket boosters on some unsuspecting city?

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Uh, you wouldn't want them launching over land would you? Dropping the solid rocket boosters on some unsuspecting city?
    Exactly.

Houston as choice was probably more political. Think LBJ...

• Collision speed....FULL!

I heard it, couldn't figure out what it was at first! It's amazing how fast it is, after the booms, less than a minute later it lands; and I'm in Fullerton, over 80 miles away from the base!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I heard it at Dismeyland! (well sort of)

I was in the tram area of the parking structure with DIP Jr. We heard two faint booms one after another. No one noticed. When I said there was a sonic boom from the space shuttle no one seemed to care.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by asianbma View Post
    I don't get why NASA has to build their launch site over there in Florida.
    Read this article: Why Does NASA Launch Space Shuttles from Such a Weather-Beaten Place?: Scientific American

After Kennedy announced we were going to the moon, they realized they needed some serious R&D facilities. Requirements included:
    Requirements for the new site included the availability of water transport and an all-weather airport, proximity to a major telecommunications network, availability of established industrial workers and contractor support, an available supply of water, a mild climate permitting year-round outdoor work and a culturally attractive community.
    Taken from Wikipedia: Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Houston also had the benefit of several major universities nearby as well as being centrally located between the east and west coast facilities.

They try to land at KSC as often as they can, but sometimes they can't. In which case they fly it back. But it all works out for the best because of the physics in the first article I linked.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Exactly.

Houston as choice was probably more political. Think LBJ...
    It was very much political as well. It was in fact LBJ (then a senator) who proposed the whole thing. In the end though Houston won as the best site on its merits. It would have won most likely had it not been for LBJ. The site is simply too good. It has everything they needed.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast