• Banned User

Original and Character Rides - What is the right ratio?

A Disneyland with just original rides would be too spectacular, and a Disneyland with all unoriginal rides would also be not to impressive. So my question is, what is the right ratio for you?

While I am not exactly asking for a number, I want to known your opinion of where the line stands in your mind of too much or too little. How do you feel the lands should work? Should certain lands be character free and other lands be just characters? Should all lands have a mix? How do you feel about it?

For me, I believe that Fantasyland should be mainly characters only with a few exceptions like Matterhorn, and Small World. Small World is boarder line characters as they are more incorporated instead of character centric. But besides that, I feel that each land should have a decent mix with most a larger majority of the E-Tickets being original and the smaller D-Tickets and lower being majority character.

This being said, I also feel that the character based attractions should not be "book reports." They should not retell the story. Things like Toy Story Mania, Star Tours, and Indiana Jones are excellent representatives of this. They immerse you into the world of the characters instead of retelling a tale. I would consider attractions like that to have unique storyline, and for me if 90% of all Disney attractions were to have a unique storyline, with a good mix of characters and non characters, I would truly be happy.

So I ask you...where does the line stand for you? What is too much and what is too little?

• "I Break Things"

Re: Original and Character Rides - What is the right ratio?

I see the relationship mainly as unique rides helping to establish the theme of the land and character attractions supporting that theme. Sadly more and more Disney has decided there is no need to support theme in a THEME park.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Lighting Design Lover

Rides should be kept to the theme of their land, if characters can be made to fit in then so be it, but one should be careful. Unfortunately WDI (and Lassester, the oh mighty king of Pixar and WDI) has forgotten this over the last couple years and just put characters where ever possible.

Personally I think for the most part characters should remain in Fantasyland and Toontown, because they're made FOR characters. There are of course a few exceptions. The rides in Critter country work (I think) because the theme of the land is based around not JUST the land, but the "Critters" that inhabit it, so both the pooh ride and Splash Mountain work (although Country bears were better than pooh). On the other hand I think characters in places like Tomorrow land DON'T work, as TL is based around the technology of tomorrow and the future, not toy aliens and certainly not cartoon fish!

The only other thing I have to say about Characters, is if they do want to add them, they should think about spreading out the eras that they get their characters from. The fact that almost EVERY recent character based ride (Little Mermaid being the exception, however don't get me started on the theming issues of DCA) is Pixar based is disturbing, it's like Disney wants to forget all those great movies of the past and concentrate only on the present, movies that may not even hold up to time.
    Last edited by TTN; 09-16-2009 at 07:22 PM.

• Senior Minion

^ I totally agree with techskip & TTN's posts above.

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    ...I feel that each land should have a decent mix with most a larger majority of the E-Tickets being original and the smaller D-Tickets and lower being majority character.

This being said, I also feel that the character based attractions should not be "book reports." They should not retell the story.
    Bingo.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TTN View Post
    Rides should be kept to the theme of their land, if characters can be made to fit in then so be it, but one should be careful. Unfortunately WDI (and Lassester, the oh mighty king of Pixar and WDI) has forgotten this over the last couple years and just put characters where ever possible.

Personally I think for the most part characters should remain in Fantasyland and Toontown, because they're made FOR characters. There are of course a few exceptions. The rides in Critter country work (I think) because the theme of the land is based around not JUST the land, but the "Critters" that inhabit it, so both the pooh ride and Splash Mountain work (although Country bears were better than pooh). On the other hand I think characters in places like Tomorrow land DON'T work, as TL is based around the technology of tomorrow and the future, not toy aliens and certainly not cartoon fish!

The only other thing I have to say about Characters, is if they do want to add them, they should think about spreading out the eras that they get their characters from. The fact that almost EVERY recent character based ride (Little Mermaid being the exception, however don't get me started on the theming issues of DCA) is Pixar based is disturbing, it's like Disney wants to forget all those great movies of the past and concentrate only on the present, movies that may not even hold up to time.
    You make excellent points. I agree with most all of the ideas made. I agree that there are too many characters, and too many recent characters at that and that is the problem. For Tomorrowland, Star Tours and Tron are the only movies I would like to see in the land but Astro Blasters and Nemo are totally out of place.

• Yeti Enthusiast

Fantasyland and ToonTown should ideally be the only lands with characters. This is what they were designed for, and to me, it seems like there's a lot of room in both for expansion.

However fantasy based they may appear, Frontierland, Adventureland and Tomorrowland are supposed to represent fantastic realities and not cartoons. I think Indiana Jones fits fine in Adventureland, but Tarzan's Treehouse does not. Make sense?

Splash Mountain could be considered a violation of this, but I'd say it fits in just as well as Mark Twain's characters did, seeing that they are both based upon characters originating from the American South and Frontier. Wheras Winnie The Pooh does not fit into this model and is a complete violation of theme.

The park is no longer run by people who understand what Walt's intended purpose was with this theme park: to provide a palette of different experiences for the guests, and not a samey roll-call of mediocre attractions based on contemporary films.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

There is no such thing as a right "ratio"

Attractions should be designed to properly reflect, support, strengthen, and enhance a land's theme. If they don't, then they creatively fail.

Indiana Jones Adventure successfully did this.

Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Tarzan's Treehouse, Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, Haunted Mansion Holiday, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, etc., do not do this.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Future Imagineer! =D

Hmmm, let's see, I'm fine with Fantasyland and all the characters there. They seem fitting enough. I'm fine with Adventureland, Indiana Jones and Jungle Cruise seem fitting enough for Adventureland. Frontierland is fine as is. Critter Country is fine too, I don't even mind Winnie the Pooh being there, I think it's more fitting in Critter Country than in Fantasyland, Fantasyland is more princessey and fairytaley. The only land I have issues with is Tomorrowland. Tomorrowland is suppose to be about tomorrow, the future. Well, I don't exactly think Finding Nemo or Buzz Lightyear is going to be our future.
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• We Want The Redhead

I'm always a bit disurbed when I see weird out of place characters on Main St., characters like 'Dusty,' or that 'Fishbulb, or 'Aashee,' or 'Darkbeer.' For whatever reason, they seem to congregate mostly on Sundays at lunchtime.
    And my GOODNESS, those awful costumes...
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Future Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
    I'm always a bit disurbed when I see weird out of place characters on Main St., characters like 'Dusty,' or that 'Fishbulb, or 'Aashee,' or 'Darkbeer.' For whatever reason, they seem to congregate mostly on Sundays at lunchtime.
    And my GOODNESS, those awful costumes...
    Main Street is slowly becoming based on that movie, MiceChat. It's too young to be a classic, and its ruining the theme of Main Street.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥disney.princess♥ View Post
    Main Street is slowly becoming based on that movie, MiceChat. It's too young to be a classic, and its ruining the theme of Main Street.
    I can only imagine the reviews of that movie.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!

• We Want The Redhead

Quote Originally Posted by longears View Post
    I can only imagine the reviews of that movie.
    A possible blurb:
    Coming soon to a theater near you.
    From out of the muck, mire and general cesspool known as 'The Internets' they came.
    With a glazed look in their eyes, muttering under their breath "LUNCH" and 'CAFE' ORLEANS," they lurched on from the pits of Hades from which they came.
    "Sponsorship, HOJO, Fastpass, Pezlightyear, Mark Twain," they were heard to scream as they domineered and occupied the area known only to the devil spawn as "The Hub."
    Surrounded by frozen grotesqueries cast in bronze with names like "Minnie" and Donald." All facing their metallic leader known only as "Walt," frozen for all time clutching the claw of an oversized rodent and titled 'Partners.'
    THEY had connections. They knew MAYNARD!
    Onward they marched, forever multiplying, APs in hand. Yes, they had 15% discounts, and they knew how to use them.
    Be afraid, be VERY VERY afraid.
    Coming soon to a theater near you.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!