Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

What's going on with Splash (soak) Mountain?

I know that when Splash was about to open people were getting WAY too wet, so they toned it down.

Over the years I have noticed that the final drop is really the drop that get's you the least wet. I'm sure you have all noticed the same. Also, being as I have ridden the ride MANY, MANY times I figured it would be okay to take my new video camera on the ride.

I have video taped on the ride in the past, never had any problems. But since I got a new camera and I had been getting great footage all weekend I wanted some new Splash footage as well.

The ride started out like any Splash ride. I was seating in row #4 behind my kids and wife. Down the first drop, a couple of splashes. 2nd drop, a little more. Down into the "Laughing Place" a little more and as always, the smallest drop on the ride got us more wet. But nothing major.

Heading up the lift for the final drop into the briar patch I set up the camera so I could get footage of the drop, but then get the camera down as to minimize wetness. I figured holding the camera against my chest would be the best defense.

The camera can stand a little moisture.

Good plan right? WRONG!!!

So down the hill we go. As soon as we enter the Briar patch, camera off and against my shirt. Through the drop and were okay. Then ... the turn. Turn to the right and BAM, a HUGE splash heading right for row #4 and my chest, right where my camera is.

I have NEVER gotten this wet on Splash Mountain before. I think the only ride I have EVER gotten this wet on would be Perilous Plunge at Knott's.

This is the result:

Has this happened to anybody else lately? Was this a fluke? We saw some other people getting off the ride just as soaked as I was.

• oh bugger

Re: What's going on with Splash (soak) Mountain?

I was there this past week. Went on Splash several times. One time the log was only half full, so in order to save my legs from being soaked with water flowing over the side of the boat when you come back up from the part where Brer Bear is stuck in the hole I put my legs up on the seat in front of me. Far too often water rushes over the sides and soaks my legs. I of course heard over the speakers for me to take my legs off the seat in front of me... opps...

Then later in the week on a full log we came flying down the flume and I was in the very back row and after the first splash down a second massive wave came and totally drenched the first 3 people in my log. My friend sitting in front of me said he thought something was going wrong because the wave was so massive. It very literally soaked the people in the front, I had never seen a wave that big ever on Splash.

But... it is SPLASH mountain so I don't mind so much, I just make sure to have dry clothes handy if necessary.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Have you rode the ride since the new logs were installed, rhe system tweeked, and the bugs worked out? Ever since, I've been getting soaked now and then myself.

• Circle of Ancients

^ Yes I had ridden the ride since the retrofit. And nothing like this had ever happened.

Prior to the last drop I wasn't that wet. As you can see from that picture, I was pretty wet from head to toe.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I kind of like getting soaked - especially on a warm day. You might consider using a waterproof camera next time you go - and a poncho if you so desire.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Meh, it's splash mountain, expect to get wet. There could say be more water in it ride at the time. Or theres more water stuck behind you, you drop, it goes really fast, splash... going on splash mountain, expect to get wet, no matter how wet :P you took the risk

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• CM for 4 years!

Next time wrap a plastic bag around the camera. Maybe it will mess up your sound, but you could always dub that in yourself later.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, I regretted taking the camera on after. But I just figured with probably 100 rides on the thing and NEVER getting that wet, especially in row 4 and on my chest I would be safe.

Next time I will leave my camera in a locker or something. I still need to get footage of the final show scene though. Maybe I will just wrap it in a bag until AFTER the drop then take it out. We shall see.

Thankfully the camera is all better now. We were worried for awhile. It wouldn't even turn on until Monday morning.

• Senior Minion

I thought in another thread that the water was increased because of the new logs were getting stuck? Wasnt that the reason?
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Yeah, that is what we were told last week when we were there. They also said that if the heavier person in the group sits in the front, they'll get soaked. It seems to move faster now too. We saw quite a few folks that were pretty wet...

• Shubisha

I just wish they'd put back the fake splash getting shot out of that pipe every 3 logs =D that was funny =D

All I can say is, it is in fact, called Splash Mountain.

• Viva L.A. Galaxy

Splash Mountain or no, that was ridiculous how wet we all got. The last time I got drenched on the mountain like that was in 1996, honestly. I couldn't believe the amount of people that were coming off the ride soaked. I expect to get wet on the ride, but not drenched where it takes hours to dry off. Maybe I'd expect that on Grizzly, but not on Splash.

I guess the new boats do make a difference though...

Justin

• Feeling A Bit Oogie

Does any water ever come from above on the way to the Laughing Place or while in it? The last few times my girlfriend and I went on it, that was the part that made us the most wet.
    ~Ah, the wonderful sight of the fabled Apocalypse. Now appearing in Disney's Toontown!~

• Playtester

I've noticed the new logs bump along a lot more and always seems like they are about to get stuck. I've had times in the log where I have gotten soaked, and times when I come off dry. I made the mistake of sitting in the very front right before closing, and was drenched. Then I froze on the way to the car. I carry a ziplock bag (a 1 quart freezer bag) to put my cellphone in when I ride splash or GRR. The same size bag also fits my still digital camera. Maybe a gallon size might fit your camera? They are more compact and water proof (at least it seems) then a garbage bag.
    It's Just me, Jenn.
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." ~Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast