Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Re: Calling all Disneyland Photographers (You know who you are)

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    My advice for anyone who asks these sorts of questions is to brush up on how your camera actually operates in terms of the three main components to exposure - shutter speed, film speed (ISO) and aperture.

Low light and night photography can be frustrating, but the main idea is to open up your aperture as much as possible and boost your ISO to a level that works in situations where there is a lot going on such as F! and dark rides.

Here's a few examples of what I've had and settings that have worked:

Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
    Aperture: f/4.5
    Focal Length: 150 mm
    ISO Speed: 1000

Exposure: 0.04 sec (1/25)
    Aperture: f/3.5
    Focal Length: 40 mm
    ISO Speed: 1000

Exposure: 0.1 sec (1/10)
    Aperture: f/2.9
    Focal Length: 20 mm
    ISO Speed: 1600

Since you've got about a month to go, I suggest experimenting with your camera at night now, that way you can figure out ways to tweak the settings to your liking on a whim!

Brendan - I can't get over how seemingly noise-less your photos are at ISO 1000. Cohteteboy - Same with your 800. Those are just really, really clear. I don't know if I've been able to push my ISO that high without the noise showing up. I'll have to check.

As for Leslie's original question, I think it will be a challenge to get decent shots in Pirates with less than a 1.4 or 1.8 lens. Dlandjimmy had a 1.8 on his shots above, and it really does make it easier to walk away with a great shot if you don't have to push the ISO quite so high to get the shot. The fact that you are constantly moving and getting bumped into makes it tough to slow the shutter much below 1/100, but every once in awhile you can manage to get a shot off without the boat lurching. If you have a very steady hand, you can get by with much lower shutter speeds. (I drink WAY too much coffee for that to work for me. )

And I'll second the Gorillapod suggestion. It's MUCH easier to manage than a tripod if you are going to be there all day.

Leslie - If you shoot many shots out in the bright afternoon sun, you might also think about a filter. I just bought a circular polarizing filter and tried it out, with varying levels of success, last Friday. I was constantly having problems with blown highlights in very bright sunlight, and with the hazy, butt ugly haze that is usually burning off in orange county in the morning, my skies tended to be rather ugly as well, hence my need for a filter. I haven't decided how much I will shoot with it yet, but apparently, it works the best when the sun is directly over head...or so I've been told. My skies came out much bluer and the rest of my colors popped a bit more. So...just another option there.

And Robotmirror... Love your shots. Any time that you want to start posting again, please feel free. We miss your photos!
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 09-21-2009 at 04:52 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    Brendan - I can't get over how seemingly noise-less your photos are at ISO 1000. Cohteteboy - Same with your 800. Those are just really, really clear. I don't know if I've been able to push my ISO that high without the noise showing up. I'll have to check.

I just bought a circular polarizing filter and tried it out, with varying levels of success, last Friday.
    My camera has this noise filter that goes back and kind of processes a bit of the noise, which slows down my shooting, so maybe that's why? But there is plenty of noise, the size of those photos are just tiny!

Oh, and I just have to say I LOVE my circular polarizer. It's one of my favorite tools now, but I mostly apply it to landscapes. I don't think I've been to Disneyland during the day to enjoy using it though...I just love the skies I get!

• Disney Fan

Wow, thanks so much for all your responses. I am going to start playing at night now to get some better photos when we do go to Disneyland. I was so disappointed with the pics in IASW last time. So I definitely want to get some better shots.

You all have posted some great advise and some awesome photos too! Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out! I will now have to meander through some of your flickr accounts to see more exif data.

So far I have found from this post that I need a little better lens, and Gorillapod and some polarizing filters. Whooo Hoooo for needing more camera stuff.
    --Leslie ~See my photos on FLICKR ~

Quote Originally Posted by leslie_537 View Post
    So far I have found from this post that I need a little better lens
    In terms of maximum aperture, yes. I do believe the Nikon 50mm F/1.8 is about $135. However, there is one thing I don't think has been mentioned yet and I almost forgot myself. With the D40 series camera, you need to have a DX or an AF-S lenses in order to get auto focus, as the D40 doesn't have it's own built in focus drive motor. It relies on the lenses for that. So the 50mm F/1.8 will not auto focus. Something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by leslie_537 View Post
    polarizing filters.
    Keep in mind, the 18-55 lens' front elements rotates as it focuses, and a Circular Polarizer works by turning it. So you will need to focus first then adjust the filter as desired. I don't think the 55-200's front element rotates as it focuses.
    Last edited by tech4all; 09-21-2009 at 06:49 PM.

• Ol' School Disney Pirate

Leslie,

I started out with the D40, and it's a great camera during the day.

For low-light though, I found that mine had a huge noise problem with the higher iso's. It technically can go pretty high (1600, I believe), but really even at ISO 800 it's VERY grainy.

I would have also suggested the 50mm f/1.8 lens for the price, but as was mentioned, your D40 won't be able to focus it since it has no built in focusing motor. You are limited to a more expensive lens with hopefully VR built in.

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, what about the new [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-AF-S-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1253660237&sr =8-1"]Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens[/ame]. I have been waiting for this lens. It is designed for the D40 (and others like it). With its maximum aperture and auto-focus on the D40, I think I might finally be able to get some of those pirates pics I have been wanting. My next trip to the DLR is in June and I am saving up to buy this just for the trip.

• Future Imagineer! =D

Hmm, sorry, I don't have any suggestions. I'm trying to learn a few things too
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chiefyouth View Post
    Since nobody has mentioned it yet, what about the new Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens. I have been waiting for this lens. It is designed for the D40 (and others like it). With its maximum aperture and auto-focus on the D40, I think I might finally be able to get some of those pirates pics I have been wanting. My next trip to the DLR is in June and I am saving up to buy this just for the trip.
    Chiefyouth - That looks like a great lens. I think I would enjoy the wider angle on this as my 50 mm can be rather limiting at times. I also think it would be much more effective on a ride like Pirates where you want to get more in the shot. Thanks for the tip, because I hadn't seen it yet. I will certainly add it to my wish list.

Chiefyouth - That looks like a great lens. I think I would enjoy the wider angle on this as my 50 mm can be rather limiting at times. I also think it would be much more effective on a ride like Pirates where you want to get more in the shot. Thanks for the tip, because I hadn't seen it yet. I will certainly add it to my wish list.
    At $200 for a prime lens, you really can't beat it. Glad I could help, even if it means more money out the door. But hey, what good is a good camera without a good lens.

• Disney Fan

Quote Originally Posted by chiefyouth View Post
    At $200 for a prime lens, you really can't beat it. Glad I could help, even if it means more money out the door. But hey, what good is a good camera without a good lens.
    My husband just doesn't understand that. He says "You already have two lens' why do you need another?"

I guess what he doesn't know won't hurt him. He can't tell the difference between the lens on the camera and he never looks in my bag so he wont see 3 lenses. :P
    --Leslie ~See my photos on FLICKR ~

• Park Lover

I can't speak the praises of the AF-S 35mm f 1.8/g more highly. I also use a D40 and I got this lens the first week it was released back in April and I love it. Now it's a prime, so you won't be able to zoom in and out, keep that in mind, but on rides it is perfect. Here are some of my examples with this lens:

And here is a collage I made of all the pics on IASW with the lens:

Pretty much any pic you see in my Flickr stream that was taken after April uses this lens. Also, I keep all my EXIF data available on Flickr too. Which will show you the settings I used. Normally I just set the Aperture wide open, ISO at 800, and then play around with the shutter while I am going through the ride to find my "sweet spot". To get to my Flickr stream click on any of the photos or click my sig.
    My Disneyland After Dark Flickr set!
    My Disneyland Flickr set!
    My Walt Disney World Flickr set!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Those are really sharp, Mel. Nice shots! Okay...I'm really going to have to go out and get this lens now...

• Not a Minion

Nice shots. From my personal experience, using a wider lens in dark shots make it easier to hide shakes in long exposure. I hope to test this theory out later this week as I just bought myself a fisheye soooo excited.

• Park Lover

Thanks Mac Daddy. You will love that lens! I find I only use it on rides though when I'm at the park since it's prime. So I switch back and forth between it and the kit lens. I see you also got a CP filter. That's my favorite filter and I love it. I never take it off my kit lens, unless it's night time. It just makes the colors pop. And I am fond of bright vibrant colors, so the CP Filter along with putting the camera on the vivid setting, I haven't had to touch photoshop in months other than to straighten a horizon or crop something.

That 35mm is also a great portrait or low light lens for shooting indoors during parties or get togethers.

Those are really sharp, Mel. Nice shots! Okay...I'm really going to have to go out and get this lens now...
    My Disneyland After Dark Flickr set!
    My Disneyland Flickr set!
    My Walt Disney World Flickr set!

I'll echo what Mac Daddy said, nice shots there mel. Really captured the mood quite well....gotta love natural light!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast