Disneyland/Disney World

I was just contemplating this recently, so I thought I could ask you guys:

Do you guys think, if Walt was alive today, that he would feel like the WHOLE Disney World Resort was going in the wrong direction? As in terms of what HE wanted? Or do you think the opposite: that he would want Disneyland to be as big as Disney World, and have as much?

Your thoughts:

Re: Disneyland/Disney World

this is just my personal opinion, but i think that since disneyland was the first that started it all, it should be the biggest and best one out there at all times. I don't like that walt disney world has 5 parks (... i think... lol never been there) and we only have two.

i'm ok with disney expanding all over the world, but keep in mind where you started.. and strive to make that the best...

• Captain EO! :D

I don't think DLR has the room to be as physically large as WDW. That being said, I hate when people compare the two places... "Disneyland has better..." or "WDW is better..." or "my park wins because we got a better *whatever*". It's pointless IMO. It's not a competition. Both places should be appreciated independently for their own strenghts and weaknesses.
    Last edited by LucyintheSky; 09-28-2009 at 05:36 AM. Reason: correcting a spelling error
    ----------------------------------------

Jennifer

• Cars Land Rocks!

Disneyland was built with as much as they could afford to do at the time. Of course after seeing Disneyland and the development that came around it, the idea to build Disney World bigger and more secluded was all part of keeping the outside world separate when you're in the Disney parks. I think in terms of size, Disney World is what Walt would have done in CA if he could, but he was happy to get what he did get built here.

I look it at it similar to George Lucas and the Star Wars films. George was never satisfied with the first films because he couldn't do everything he wanted. The success of the first films allowed him to accomplish more of his vision for the future films, as well as go back and correct what he couldn't do in the beginning.

While DLR will never have the size of WDW, I think they make up for it in the quality and care that is given to the parks ... Of course there is always plenty of room for improvement in both resorts.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

While nobody actually KNOWS what Walt would think, I'm pretty sure he was a "quality is better than quantity" kind of guy.

• Minion

In my opinion Disneyland should be the "flagship" and if any attraction in another park is really great and stands the test of time, there should be one of it in Anaheim. Disneyland has historic value now, and should be the "showcase" of the Disney-owned parks and treated as the crown jewel of their park system. It's almost like a living museum of Disney history.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    In my opinion Disneyland should be the "flagship" and if any attraction in another park is really great and stands the test of time, there should be one of it in Anaheim. Disneyland has historic value now, and should be the "showcase" of the Disney-owned parks and treated as the crown jewel of their park system. It's almost like a living museum of Disney history.

i totally agree with what you said!

I have to agree with most people that Walt Disney would probably hold more favor for Disneyland although there is a lot more opportunity for growth and development in Disneyworld.

Sometimes I get frustrated with the lack of space that Disneyland has to work with. That said, I think the imagineers have built some great products because of the lack of space. I am always astonished that Fantasmic takes place where it does. (I know the crowds etc are insane but still)

I love both Disneyland and DisneyWorld for different reasons. Disneyland is the first one I ever went to so I think it is a little more magical for me.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

WDW would be like a futuristic Chicago with one theme park next to it.

MK and DL might have been the only theme parks he ever wanted, as his interests moved on to a real environmental prototype community of tomorrow.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I think he would have realized he made a huge mistake.

I can't imagine Walt thinking WDW was a "mistake" - it is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world and generates huge positive cash flow for Disney. WDW is an incredible success story.

If anything was a mistake, it was Disney not buying up more of the land around Anaheim back in the day - although that was of course due to a lack of cash. Still, there's essentially no time up until the last decade where buying up any parcel of land within sight of the DLR would have been a bad move.

Given the situation with land, I would imagine Walt would be completely unsurprised that WDW has such a sprawling footprint compared to DLR - that was EXACTLY why he bought so much land in FL in the first place!

All the above said, I think Walt would be disappointed that Disney has become a more typical company as time has gone on, and is much more prone to compromising top-notch quality. This problem effects both resorts more or less equally, and it will only be fixed (IMO) with a general housecleaning of senior and middle management, accompanied by a reset of Disney's corporate culture.

This is more possible than you might think - one has only to look at the history of Apple to see an example. The key question is whether Disney will recognize the linkage between impeccable brand image and long-term superior profitability. It won't happen because of noble instincts or nostalgia, it will happen because it's a great way to run a business, and it will require courageous leadership.

• Minion

They are going to have to start thinking in the long term, expanding and deepening the original Disneyland concept while still keeping Walt's original vision intact. Too many decisions these days are made using short-term thinking and superficial goals.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

If I may project my views of a man I nver met, I think Walt would be more interested in ARTIC (Anaheim Regional Transportation Center) than Paradise Pier.

He was more interested in Popular Science and Popular Mechanics futuristic things by the time his daughters were older.