Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,272

    Entertainment in the Parks

    Alright so I have been examining Tokyo Disney Resort's schedule obsessively and noticed some things Disneyland simply should pick up on. Tokyo Disney offers a unique, and diverse selection of entertainment offerings that cater to everyone's needs. These are some concepts I would like to see come to the Disneyland Resort:

    • Out with Fantasmic, In with Electrical Parade Dreamlights - Before, anyone kills me, listen to my resoning. Fantasmic! is a terrific show but is simply old. Its technology is clearly outdated and has been around for over 17 years. That is just too long for any entertainment offering without any major changes. Not to mention, Fantasmic! creates a crowd control issue like no other show. It makes the park a fiasco for getting thru Adventureland, New Orleans Square, Frontierland, and Critter Country. My solution is to bring in a 21st Century version of Dreamlights. Before I became interested/obsessed with Tokyo Disney, I still wanted this. Not only would it be far easier to control crowds, but it would also offer a much more diverse nighttime entertainment schedule. Fire and fountains in World of Color, fireworks, lasers, and spotlights in the 55th Fireworks, and live actors, and beautiful floats in Electrical Parade. Please don't go crazy on me for this one.
    • More Walk Around Characters - Disneyland would not be as successful as it is today if it didn't have the famous walk around characters. While I do think that today there is a nice selection of Walk Around characters, unfortunately most of them (Mad Hatter, Marry Poppins) being a few exceptions spend their times taking pictures. In my humble opinion, it would be far more entertaining if these characters were performers instead of photo ops. Yes they should definitely still take pictures, but still have lots of fun at it! Dance with guests and play around before taking a quick picture, make a memory that can't be caught in a still photo. While we are on the subject, lets bring in some more characters as well. Daisy, Hewey, Dewey, Lewey, the Big Bad Wolf, Pete, and many other supporting classic characters should be crawling over in Toon Town. Each of the Fab 5 + Chip n' Dale/Daisy should be easy to find in the park with different costumes. In most of the lands, they should have their own unique costumes!
    • A Real Fantasyland Theater - Even though, I do love the Fantasyland theater, it needs to be renovated. I think the park could do much more if they bull dozed it, made a new indoor theater, and left room for a E-Ticket in Fantasyland. It is very possible. In the theater, I would love for one mega show that showcases lots of Disney classics. Each year, the show could be updated to feature the latest Disney movie like Princess and the Frog, Rapunzel, The King of Elves, and other movies to keep it fresh before removing it after at least a 5+ year run. This would be much better use then to have a cop out known as Princess Fantasy Faire.
    • Bye Playhouse Disney Live on Stage! - The show is nice, but that area is soon to be (hopefully) a 1930s Hollywoodland. Playhouse Disney live on stage could easily become a beautiful recreation of the Brown Derby, or a small dark ride, but it needs to go. As a subsitute, for the Plaza Garden stage in Disneyland I would like a high energy, short and fun show. It would feature some of little kids favorite characters like Goofy, Mickey, Donald, Daisy, Minnie, and more as well as some high energy performers to play in a bright and colorful performance! In DCA, every morning 30 minutes after opening, the characters come out for an adaptation of 'Meet and Smile' where a small performance plays before lots of characters come out and greet the park guests. 10 minutes after the show ends, the trolleys could start running.
    • Hyperion Theater - Hyperion needs to be the grand daddy of them all. I am not sure how feasible this is, but I would love it if the theater could support two shows. One show, would feature an original storyline, and deal with Hollywoodland, with original music, etc, while the other would be based off a movie. The original production would last for 5 years or so, with the movie based production rotating out every year. A christmas special could be run for the original special with the movie based production running double time, and every January, they could close down the movie based show to add a new one.
    • Standardizing the schedule -Disneyland offers alot, however, they seem to offer much more on weekends. This should not be the case. Disneyland should offer the same entertainment every day of the week. Fireworks, Electrical Parade, World of Color should run every night, once a night except for peak days. The park should have some extra entertainment showings on weekends, but the offerings should not change greatly at all. This, in theory, would allow the park to not have to run World of Color and Electrical Parade twice a night as much because you could see them other times in the week, diluting the crowd. However, both should run twice on peak days, and on their big debut season.

    Wow this post was longer then I thought. Thanks for reading my rant. I also have a few finer details that I may add later. What do you think?
    Last edited by Ice101; 09-28-2009 at 03:32 PM.

  2. #2

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,027

    Re: Entertainment Schedule

    Fantasmic! could be performed on the north end of Rivers of America. maybe with permanent benches as in WDW.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  3. #3

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,272

    Re: Entertainment Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Fantasmic! could be performed on the north end of Rivers of America. maybe with permanent benches as in WDW.
    No, it is old and needs to go. Plus Fantasmic at WDW feels way too much like a theater show. Because of that mentality, far too often people leave before the grand finale.

  4. #4

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    124

    Re: Entertainment Schedule

    Fantasmic! shouldn't go anywhere. It should have regular updates but to take the whole show out? I don't think so, no way. And it's not outdated at all. Show me another park in the world that can pull off a show like that!

  5. #5

    • Imagineer in training
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    202

    Re: Entertainment Schedule

    Fantasmic! is clearly still successful given the huge crowds it pulls in.

    I like the idea of more characters.

    One needs to remember that the other Magic Kingdoms (i.e. WDW, DLP) have the blessing of size to disperse the crowds during big entertainment events. Disneyland simply doesn't have this luxury.

    Weekends are entertainment heavy due to higher crowds. Basic economics.
    Last edited by DarylF; 09-28-2009 at 01:21 PM.

  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    144

    Re: Entertainment Schedule

    With as much attendance as Fantasmic still attracts, I don't believe it to be feasible nor worthy of getting rid of at this time. And with "Murphy" apparently working now, this is a major upgrade to the show. So I cannot see any reason to get rid of it. And with the addition of World of Color over at DCA, the resort now has a major night time competitor for attention once WOC begins next spring.

    I do like, Ice, your suggestions for the Hyperion and the Fantasyland Theaters, as they both could use another show that would really make them more attractive. However, I would hate to see Aladdin go, as it is a great show. With an inventive genie, the show can always seem fresh by adding up-to-the-minute jokes (like the genie using Kanye West this weekend) to keep the show current.

  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Posts
    78

    Re: Entertainment Schedule

    1) Fantasmic is a great show, one of the best of its kind anywhere.

    2) Fantasmic is an immense disruption to normal park operations

    3) Fantasmic is compromised as a show because it has generally bad viewlines and seating arrangements, especially for kids.

    Conclusion: DL would be better off moving Fantasmic to an alternative venue, one that is out of the flow of normal parkgoing traffic, one where everyone who wants a seat can get a seat without "staking out territory" for hours in advance, and where everyone gets a great view of the show. Not to mention the probability that a dedicated venue would allow significant enhancements to the show in terms of special effects, lighting, etc.

    There's underutilized land available for this, it stretches from the ROA to the Fantasy Faire. This might be one of the single biggest enhancements DL could make to today's parkgoing experience. AND, it would be relatively cheap to implement.

  8. #8

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,272

    Re: Entertainment Schedule

    Great, here goes my Kill Fantasmic thread 2.0....

    You all don't realize, that it is old. Murphy is the only segment that has been updated since the debut with the exception of the new eels. That is it. The show is 17 years old and is still here. A show should not last so long with no updates. It's time has come it needs to go.

    Alright, can we please not talk about Fantasmic and instead the other ideas.

  9. #9

    • Senior Monorail Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)
    Posts
    1,511

    Re: Entertainment Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Great, here goes my Kill Fantasmic thread 2.0....

    You all don't realize, that it is old. Murphy is the only segment that has been updated since the debut with the exception of the new eels. That is it. The show is 17 years old and is still here. A show should not last so long with no updates. It's time has come it needs to go.

    Alright, can we please not talk about Fantasmic and instead the other ideas.
    Then you shouldn't have brought it up. We are only commenting on the ideas YOU have put forth.

    I for one believe Fantasmic should stay. It continues to draw large crowds and has had many, almost too many, updates. Just because it's old it's bad. You do know the MSEP started in 1972, right? It had a few updates, just like Fantasmic... and it ran until 1996 (minus about 4 years). Let's see that makes its run about 20 years... that's more than Fantasmic... it also doesn't count its run at DCA. So, therefore, it is bad because it is old right? I guess in your book it must be.

    Characters: Yes, yes... they need to be out more often. Do away with the schedules and just throw them out in random places at random times. No more designated Meet N' Greets (Yes, I'm looking at you PFF and Pixie Hollow...)
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!


  10. #10

    • 'splosions
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    16.4 miles from Disneyland
    Posts
    796

    Re: Entertainment Schedule

    Ice, you forgot the new crocodile.

    also
    Out with Fantasmic, In with Electrical Parade


    Your argument failed me with that statement there.

    How, oh how, is F! too old by today's standards when EP is 20 years older?

  11. #11

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,272

    Re: Entertainment Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by Browncoat View Post
    Ice, you forgot the new crocodile.

    also [/B]

    Your argument failed me with that statement there.

    How, oh how, is F! too old by today's standards when EP is 20 years older?
    Did you read what I said? I don't want the original Electrical Parade back, I want a version of Dreamlights from Tokyo.

    There, I changed the title so you don't have to read the description to know what I am talking about.
    Last edited by Ice101; 09-28-2009 at 03:33 PM.

  12. #12

    • 'splosions
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    16.4 miles from Disneyland
    Posts
    796

    Re: Entertainment Schedule

    I would change that bullet point then. I read what you said but that totally invalidates the argument

  13. #13

    • Future Indy Castmember
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Torrance, California, United States
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Entertainment Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Great, here goes my Kill Fantasmic thread 2.0....

    You all don't realize, that it is old. Murphy is the only segment that has been updated since the debut with the exception of the new eels. That is it. The show is 17 years old and is still here. A show should not last so long with no updates. It's time has come it needs to go.

    Alright, can we please not talk about Fantasmic and instead the other ideas.
    Well, if you didn't wanted to discuss fantasmic! further, maybe you shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place. Not to be mean but just saying.

    In terms of the last idea, not all shows should be presented every day. The costs of running and maintaining the big shows like WOC and Fantasmic! is very high. Not to mention you have to consider attendance patterns in the off and peak seasons. If the parks have low attendance, then whats the point of showing the big shows? I like the entertainment schedule pattern as it is since it's familair with locals and gives tourists who visit on weekends and holidays the icing of Disney.



    Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011



    The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

  14. #14

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,274

    Re: Entertainment Schedule

    No Fantasmic should not go and Dream lights is a horibble replacement. Keep play house disney its meant for childrten not 40 year old men. Yes on brown derby though but in an alternate location maybe Hollywood and dine?

  15. #15

    • Fleeting Inspiration
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kissimmee, FL
    Posts
    221

    Re: Entertainment Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    Then you shouldn't have brought it up. We are only commenting on the ideas YOU have put forth.

    I for one believe Fantasmic should stay. It continues to draw large crowds and has had many, almost too many, updates. Just because it's old it's bad. You do know the MSEP started in 1972, right? It had a few updates, just like Fantasmic... and it ran until 1996 (minus about 4 years). Let's see that makes its run about 20 years... that's more than Fantasmic... it also doesn't count its run at DCA. So, therefore, it is bad because it is old right? I guess in your book it must be.
    Yes, MSEP is bad because it's old. Because, being old, it can't begin to utilize the lighting and float tech available that would bring it into this century. What they added to it this year is pitiful compared to what they could do if they started from scratch. I'm sorry, but far to many have a death grip on the past, not because it's good, but because it's the past. The only reason (besides Disney just being to cheap to build a new parade) that the parade even exists anymore is because fans can't seem to let go and move on. They seem to ignore glaring signs that the parade has been outpaced by everything, and yes, Fantasmic is starting down that path as well. The only things interesting to me watching F! now are the three things they added to it this year. That's not enough to support a whole show. Entertainment, more than anything else in the parks, needs to change at a constant rate. Or else you end up like WDW, showing the same parades (that weren't that good to begin with), for a decade.

    I don't know if I would completely get rid of F!, but at the very least it needs an overhaul to it's very structure, new sequences etc... Also, they need to work on how they approach crowd control. Comparing TDR's exemplary crowd control to all of the other parks just makes them look disgraceful. I would hold off on declaring F! should go until we see what WoC does to the crowd landscape. If there's little positive effect, I would possibly be more in favor of removal, then add another option to DCA's night line up. Perhaps a new(ish) form of night parade that's significantly different from the Dreamlights style parade that would go to DL. Something like the Halloween night parades TDL has, but amp up the float and light tech, and obviously have a different theme. That way you have two night options at each park.

    As for your other ideas ICe, I couldn't agree more. How great would it be to see a princess and her prince spontaneously waltzing through Fantasyland? Or have all the classic toon characters seemingly living out normal, yet wacky, days in ToonTown? The B'rer characters having escapades in Critter Country. That's Disney Magic, the unexpected, the characters truly coming to life, not just standing around at static photo spots. I'm currently a Halloween atmosphere character at an non-Disney park, and this type of interaction and character work is completely doable, and a lot of fun. Just use Hatter, Alice, Mary and Bert as templates.

    Also, I remember reading somewhere that the Hyperion was built to be able to support three separate shows I think, so two should be within the realm of possibilities. You just need to get rid of the false proscenium built for Aladdin. And give the theater a real interior that doesn't look like a warehouse.

    Quote Originally Posted by DarylF View Post
    Weekends are entertainment heavy due to higher crowds. Basic economics.
    No, it's not. It's Disney saving an extra buck on weekdays while giving guests a downgraded experience while charging them the same price. TDR often gives you more than what you strictly pay for (certainly more than any US park ever gives you) by not only having a full entertainment schedule every day, but also having lavish seasonal entertainment that they never charge extra for. No Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party or Very Merry Christmas Party here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Is Billy Hill just entertainment, or is it dining/entertainment?
    By DaddyDeuce in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-15-2009, 12:17 PM
  2. [Question] First Week of June Entertainment Schedule
    By KCmike in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-30-2009, 05:51 PM
  3. [Question] Need help with Entertainment schedule
    By CrystalCastle in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 09:40 AM
  4. Dec. schedule
    By twingirlsmom in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-04-2007, 08:30 AM
  5. May entertainment schedule is now available at Disneyland.com
    By Darkbeer in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 10:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •