Alright so I have been examining Tokyo Disney Resort's schedule obsessively and noticed some things Disneyland simply should pick up on. Tokyo Disney offers a unique, and diverse selection of entertainment offerings that cater to everyone's needs. These are some concepts I would like to see come to the Disneyland Resort:
- Out with Fantasmic, In with Electrical Parade Dreamlights - Before, anyone kills me, listen to my resoning. Fantasmic! is a terrific show but is simply old. Its technology is clearly outdated and has been around for over 17 years. That is just too long for any entertainment offering without any major changes. Not to mention, Fantasmic! creates a crowd control issue like no other show. It makes the park a fiasco for getting thru Adventureland, New Orleans Square, Frontierland, and Critter Country. My solution is to bring in a 21st Century version of Dreamlights. Before I became interested/obsessed with Tokyo Disney, I still wanted this. Not only would it be far easier to control crowds, but it would also offer a much more diverse nighttime entertainment schedule. Fire and fountains in World of Color, fireworks, lasers, and spotlights in the 55th Fireworks, and live actors, and beautiful floats in Electrical Parade. Please don't go crazy on me for this one.
- More Walk Around Characters - Disneyland would not be as successful as it is today if it didn't have the famous walk around characters. While I do think that today there is a nice selection of Walk Around characters, unfortunately most of them (Mad Hatter, Marry Poppins) being a few exceptions spend their times taking pictures. In my humble opinion, it would be far more entertaining if these characters were performers instead of photo ops. Yes they should definitely still take pictures, but still have lots of fun at it! Dance with guests and play around before taking a quick picture, make a memory that can't be caught in a still photo. While we are on the subject, lets bring in some more characters as well. Daisy, Hewey, Dewey, Lewey, the Big Bad Wolf, Pete, and many other supporting classic characters should be crawling over in Toon Town. Each of the Fab 5 + Chip n' Dale/Daisy should be easy to find in the park with different costumes. In most of the lands, they should have their own unique costumes!
- A Real Fantasyland Theater - Even though, I do love the Fantasyland theater, it needs to be renovated. I think the park could do much more if they bull dozed it, made a new indoor theater, and left room for a E-Ticket in Fantasyland. It is very possible. In the theater, I would love for one mega show that showcases lots of Disney classics. Each year, the show could be updated to feature the latest Disney movie like Princess and the Frog, Rapunzel, The King of Elves, and other movies to keep it fresh before removing it after at least a 5+ year run. This would be much better use then to have a cop out known as Princess Fantasy Faire.
- Bye Playhouse Disney Live on Stage! - The show is nice, but that area is soon to be (hopefully) a 1930s Hollywoodland. Playhouse Disney live on stage could easily become a beautiful recreation of the Brown Derby, or a small dark ride, but it needs to go. As a subsitute, for the Plaza Garden stage in Disneyland I would like a high energy, short and fun show. It would feature some of little kids favorite characters like Goofy, Mickey, Donald, Daisy, Minnie, and more as well as some high energy performers to play in a bright and colorful performance! In DCA, every morning 30 minutes after opening, the characters come out for an adaptation of 'Meet and Smile' where a small performance plays before lots of characters come out and greet the park guests. 10 minutes after the show ends, the trolleys could start running.
- Hyperion Theater - Hyperion needs to be the grand daddy of them all. I am not sure how feasible this is, but I would love it if the theater could support two shows. One show, would feature an original storyline, and deal with Hollywoodland, with original music, etc, while the other would be based off a movie. The original production would last for 5 years or so, with the movie based production rotating out every year. A christmas special could be run for the original special with the movie based production running double time, and every January, they could close down the movie based show to add a new one.
- Standardizing the schedule -Disneyland offers alot, however, they seem to offer much more on weekends. This should not be the case. Disneyland should offer the same entertainment every day of the week. Fireworks, Electrical Parade, World of Color should run every night, once a night except for peak days. The park should have some extra entertainment showings on weekends, but the offerings should not change greatly at all. This, in theory, would allow the park to not have to run World of Color and Electrical Parade twice a night as much because you could see them other times in the week, diluting the crowd. However, both should run twice on peak days, and on their big debut season.
Wow this post was longer then I thought. Thanks for reading my rant. I also have a few finer details that I may add later. What do you think?