Thread: Taking a Train?

• 1 Fanboy to Rule Them All

Question Taking a Train?

Next Friday, my girlfriend and I were hoping to take a trip down to the ol' DLR. However, today I found out that the other people who planned to go are unable to. They were going to drive us all down there, which leaves us looking for a new mode of transportation.

So this got me wondering if the Metrolink would be a viable option. We would be coming from the Antelope Valley down to (obviously) Anaheim. Has anyone ever done this? Is it possible to get there, say, around 8:30-8:45? Would we need to walk a good distance from the train station to the park, or find a bus?

Just wondering because I've been itching to get back to Disneyland this month and would really like to see this trip made. Thanks!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Re: Taking a Train?

It's possible... but inconvenient.

See this site for more info:
    http://www.metrolinktrains.com/
    Assuming your departure is Lancaster, you could board either train 202 at 5:10am or train 204 at 5:50am and arrive at LA Union Station at either 7:03 or 7:45. Then switch to train 600 and arrive Anaheim at 8:49.

I would probably recommend train 202. It's an hour wait in LA, but the other train only allows a 15 minute "window" and that's cutting it close.

It's really too far to walk from the train station to Disneyland. You might find a shuttle, but you'll probably have to hire a taxi.

I love trains. I'd do it, but you're in for a loooooong day.

Plan on spending the night in Anaheim after your day at Disneyland. The last evening train back to LA is 5:37. That's just too early.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• I'm your huckleberry.

The trip Tom Cheney referenced would be $22.25 per person. At that price, you may want to consider renting a car for the trip instead. You should be able to rent one for under $50 a day, and it would be MUCH more convenient.

Metrolink is great. I highly recommend it, although I am unfamiliar with the line you would be taking.

Metrolink provides complimentary shuttle service to Disneyland from Anaheim Station.

The shuttles wait at the curb beside the station for each train to arrive.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 10-13-2005 at 11:53 PM.

• Rock Star Minion

I do not recommend the Metrolink for "opposite-flow" trips such as southward into OC or northward into VC morning, or back into LA in the evening.

1. Check the last train out of Union Station to Lancaster. (9:00PM)
    2. Check AMTRAK schedules from Anaheim to Union Station (589 arrives at 8:50PM, departs at 8:04PM).

Repeat for the morning commute.

For the morning, I recommend AMTRAK from Union Station to Anaheim. that's $8.50 each way, for $17pp r/t, and for two that's $34. Add on $35 ($17.50pp r/t) for the Metrolink tickets for a total price of $68.

For more than one person, I recommend borrowing or renting a car. Or maybe some other day.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• 1 Fanboy to Rule Them All

Thanks for the tips everyone!

PragmaticIdealist, I did not know that Metrolink provices comp shuttles the park. Have you taken these before? Is it really just as easy as it sounds?

Sediment, why would not recommend "opposite-flow" trips? Also, these trips wouldn't be round trips. I believe that we would have transportation to get back to the Antelope Valley at night. Just to clear up some things.

When I went to metrolinktrains.com, I clicked on their "Fare Calculator," and entered a trip from Lancaster to Anaheim. For 1-way, it came out to be $11.75. So for two people would that be $23.50, or am I missing some hidden cost? If that shuttle really is free, then that would help out as well.

The Metrolink shuttles to Disneyland are extremely convenient. They are operated by the O.C.T.A. and provide express service to three stops: the Harbor Boulevard Pedestrian Entrance; Team Disney, Anaheim; and, the backside of the Disneyland Hotel.

You probably want to use the Harbor Boulevard Pedestrian Entrance, so you would need to exit on the East side of Harbor Boulevard. Returning to the train station, the shuttle arrives at Disneyland on the West side of the street.

The shuttles are clean and well-maintained and are mostly used by Walt Disney employees, although anyone with a valid Metrolink ticket is welcome.