Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

• All-American

Re: Do you think Tahitan Terrace will ever be on Tony Baxter's List of Returning Clas

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    I think an interesting way to bring back Tahitian Terrace would to offer continuous Polynesian entertainment and a exotic virgin cocktail/extended pu-pu menu, perhaps self-serve. No reserved seating, no hassle -- just a wonderful environment to relax and refresh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I think they can pull it off. They have a very successful model in the popular Polynesian Luau at Disney World.

I'd like to see them do booth a Luau and a Hoop De Do Musical Review type of show at Disneyland. I think they would be quite successful, especially if they use the current price/menu from Florida.
    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    As much as I would enjoy Polynesian food I think an Adventurer's Club would be far more appropriate given that it sits right next to Jungle Cruise.

There is a thread I did a long time back that explained how they could run multiple shows throughout the day and then host Adventurer's Club at night.
    So many good ideas... so little being done...

I hope Tony addresses this place again soon!

• Special Agent

Re: Do you think Tahitan Terrace will ever be on Tony Baxter's List of Returning Clas

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I'd like to see them do booth a Luau and a Hoop De Do Musical Review type of show at Disneyland. I think they would be quite successful, especially if they use the current price/menu from Florida.
    California isn't Florida. Just doing business in California substantially adds to the cost. Utilities, labor, insurance all cost more. Something brought from Florida would cost twice as much, JUST because it is in California.

Definitely, things cost more now than in Walt's day. Then again, Walt and the airline CEOs of his era didn't make anything like Bob Iger's $30 million compensation package, either.
    Before or after inflation? Didn't Walt ask the studio once to pay him $60 million just because he was Walt?

Quote Originally Posted by SodaInTheMorning View Post
    I know that competition with Southwest has driven some of this, but the airlines are also responsible. Just another example of how looking at a small piece of the picture instead of the larger one can hurt you.
    But Disneyland isn't like an airline. People NEED to fly, but they don't NEED to go to a Disney park. It is a luxury expensive and the prices at Disneyland are all pretty much driven by the market - what people are and are not willing to spend.

When folks started to tell Disney that their prices were too high (Pre-Pressler) they responded by offering discounts and promotions designed to bring in more people. That eventually evolved into the AP program which is the biggest discount program ever.

That passholder discount program basically started a chain reaction that resulted in the changes that we see. Passholders didn't spend as much on merchandise, so they started offering more stuff for tourists. Passholders didn't spend as much on food so they had to offer more ODV.

The problem though is that, with the Annual Passes, would folks really be willing to spend more money to go to Disneyland, even if the experience was better? Most likely they wouldn't.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    California isn't Florida. Just doing business in California substantially adds to the cost. Utilities, labor, insurance all cost more. Something brought from Florida would cost twice as much, JUST because it is in California.
    While I was going to state basically the same thing my thoughts went down a different path. I remember reading that a primary difference between WDW and DL is that WDW is primarily a tourist destination and DL is more of a local park that also hosts tourists. In that vein WDW is seen as a once in a lifetime opportunity where a majority of individuals are tourists and as such are willing to pay a premium to experience something they likely will not see again in a long time. This happens at DL as well but in smaller numbers because there are reportedly a LOT more AP's. Those tourists support the successful dinner theater shows in WDW that may actually fail if brought here. When you then add in the extra costs and profit margins Disney maintains the end result is a price most AP's refuse to support on a continued basis and there are not enough tourists to make the location a success. A "case in point" is Celebration BBQ.

The problem though is that, with the Annual Passes, would folks really be willing to spend more money to go to Disneyland, even if the experience was better? Most likely they wouldn't.
    Is the question would the AP's be willing to spend more on a per pass basis... or would Disney be willing to invest more instead of pocketing the increase?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    When you then add in the extra costs and profit margins Disney maintains the end result is a price most AP's refuse to support on a continued basis and there are not enough tourists to make the location a success. A "case in point" is Celebration BBQ.
    Well last time I checked, the BBQ was still open and business had picked up significantly. So they seem to be doing pretty well with that.

You're right though that different demographics bring in different spending habits, and DL's demographics primarily skew toward less spending.

Are DL's margin's less than WDW's though? I would almost guess they have to be considering how expensive it is to do business here, and how much Disney is willing to spend in Florida compared to here. DL's margins are probably a lot smaller than most folks here would be willing to admit.

Is the question would the AP's be willing to spend more on a per pass basis... or would Disney be willing to invest more instead of pocketing the increase?
    If Disney were to eliminate the AP program, could they convince people to spend 50 bucks a pop to come into the park (which would still be discounted compared to the actual price of entry).

I doubt they would. At this point everyone in so cal has been on pirates and mansion 100 times in the last few years, and unless Disney wanted to invest billions of dollars and replace their classic attractions, there's nothing that can be done.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910