Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Do you think Tahitan Terrace will everbe on Tony Baxter's List of Returning Class

Let's see....a virtually unused area bringing good food that will drive profits up? It's a shock Disney hasn't jumped on this idea already. Problem is I'm sure a turkey leg cart is cheaper and equally profitable. Curse you bean-counters!!

• Disney is home

Re: Do you think Tahitan Terrace will everbe on Tony Baxter's List of Returning Class

Quote Originally Posted by wanderw1 View Post
    The kitchen for next to the Aladin show is being renovated so that it can be used as the main kitchen for that side of the park when the New Orleans kitchen renovation starts soon. In a few years when that whole mess is taken care of, then its a maybe. if not that then maybe a different dinner show.
    It's already been renovated and has been in use since April.

It makes perfect sense that the nostalgia-loving Mr. Baxter might be considering this. It is a vacant area in a prime spot. The Tahitian Terrace was very, very cool. I always enjoyed going there for a luau in Anaheim, much more than I ever enjoyed attending a luau in Hawaii or Tahiti. When there, it always feels wrong and sooo touristy. At Disneyland, it just always seemed fun.
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

• Banned User

Blog Entries

You get three wiggles and a torch spin, Mickeyandme67!

• Minion

So where can I read Tony Baxter's List of Returning Classics?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I didn't work the dessert stand (called the "punchee" stand for reasons I don't remember).

But I can tell you that the flaming dessert that was so popular was called "the Goodness of Pele'". I imagine that referred to a god of some sort that was likely discussed in the narration for the dinner show.

They would have one man working the "punchee" stand, and he'd be the guy pouring the special "punch" they served (which was delicious), along with iced tea and other drinks...and he'd plate the desserts including as I recall a rum cake, and the Pele' treat which was by far the most popular dessert.

The punchee stand was adjacent to the main entree cooking and plating line.

I'd be curious to know when the Pavillion Central Kitchen will no longer be being used for the NOMK refurb. I was really surprised when they turned the Pavillion itself into an AP processing center.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I fear that if it does come back it will go a similar route to Celebration BBQ... lowered quality with raised prices.
    But why would Tony place it back in the same location - he like to "mix things up" like placing the Disney Gallery on Main Street (when the Dream Suite is an unused waste of space.) Yeesh, placing two Disneyana stores on Main Street! No sense in keeping the Bank functioning as an AP center, making use of the bank teller windows. Now the AP center is at an old restaurant ~ oh, yeah it's trying to be themed as a restaurant that was closed, made an AP center, then closed and re-opened as an AP center.

Naw, Tony's current logic, he would bring back the Tahitian Terrace in Tomorrowland, or Fantasyland, before he would bring it back to Adventureland.

• Minion

But it's so Adventureland.

• A Weather Eye Open

i agree. i would love the tahitian terrace back! a dinner show (a good one, not the roundup) would be a good way to get people sitting down for a full priced meal in the parks more. it's definitely the primary change i'd like to see in adventureland. the aladdin building is just an eyesore sitting there empty.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    ...It would be a great place to concentrate the movie characters for stage performances and meet-and-greet so that the rest of the land could be more pseudo-realistic.

NO! NO MORE DAMN MEET & GREETS!

They should all be moved out to the Esplanade or somewhere not using up valuable attraction/resturant/show space. There are too many meet & greets as it is.

Move them all into the empty shops in DTD and solve two problems.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

I would dine at the Tahitian Terrace any day over the Blue Bayou. The dinner show with great food was the come on even when it went to Aladins Oassi and the food was not as good it was still packed. And the chocolate filled Aladins lamp with mouse inside sitting amid rasberry syrup wasnt bad either. I would still rather have my Terriaki steak special and a planters punch.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by skimouse View Post
    I'd be surprised if the new menu wasn't one-price-shocks-all, as opposed to a la carte.

But, probably a better value than the BBQ, because TT could offer a legitimate show.
    I have fond memories of TT from my youth, especially the dinner shows. I would love to see TT return, but I know it would not be the same dining experience as in the past, particularly regarding price point.

Look at how ridiculously expensive Celebration BBQ was with the prix fixe menu, in order to cover the cost of the entertainers. The same thing would happen with TT and the Polynesian dancing troupe. Bringing back the old dining experience from the sixties and seventies in this Disney era of 20% returns, would require a more expensive version of 'Ohana at the Poly in WDW. TDA will never provide you with "free" entertainment; the dancers will be subsidized through greater costs for the food.

The only way TDA would give the green light for TT's reincarnation, is to charge through the nose for the experience, even more so than Celebration BBQ. I could easily envision $45 per adult for dinner, with a similar (if not exact) menu to 'Ohana, which is charging $31 per adult for dinner. Anaheim is more expensive in general for dining, and the entertainers would also need to be covered. So, $45 for an adult dinner seems about right.

Would I pay $45 to dine again at TT? Probably not. Like with Celebration, most of the foods served at 'Ohana are "filler" in nature, and quite inexpensive in cost. Only the animal protein is costly, I never eat enough of that to justify the expense. I would love to see the Polynesian dance troupe again, but not at that price.

Celebration BBQ was not particularly "successful" for themed outdoor dining with entertainment, most likely due to excessive pricing. I suspect the return of TT would also suffer, since pricing would most likely be even higher than Celebration.

The sharp pencil boys got stung with bringing back the BBQ, so I doubt they'd be eager to pour capital into TT refurbishment and try Polynesian dining for an encore.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• HauntedOne999

I personally would love to see The Tahitian Terrace return. My family had been part of the entertainent their since it opened in 1962, the last cousin who worked there ended up getting transferred to the Polynesian Resort in Disney World when the Terrace closed. However, the kitchen was gutted after the Oasis dinner show closed, and a huge computer tower was built in the main kitchen area for RDCM...so turning it back into a dinner show would be hard. Also, the theater area would need to be completely redone and the rebuilding of the Tree would be expensive... and the cost of entertainment really doesnt fit into the budget - especially since they cant keep people hired for the princes or extra characters
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• Minion

So is Tony Baxter in charge of what gets added to or removed from Disneyland?

• time to go

Tony is the creative executive for Disneyland. He has influence on what goes into DL, but doesn't have the final say. The influence varies from project to project, depending upon many factors, including construction costs, operational costs, return on investment, profitability from franchise being represented through merchandise tie-ins, et al.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast