Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Do you think Tahitan Terrace will everbe on Tony Baxter's List of Returning Class

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    But why would Tony place it back in the same location - he like to "mix things up" like placing the Disney Gallery on Main Street (when the Dream Suite is an unused waste of space.) Yeesh, placing two Disneyana stores on Main Street! No sense in keeping the Bank functioning as an AP center, making use of the bank teller windows. Now the AP center is at an old restaurant ~ oh, yeah it's trying to be themed as a restaurant that was closed, made an AP center, then closed and re-opened as an AP center.

Naw, Tony's current logic, he would bring back the Tahitian Terrace in Tomorrowland, or Fantasyland, before he would bring it back to Adventureland.
    Clueless.

• Minion

Re: Do you think Tahitan Terrace will everbe on Tony Baxter's List of Returning Class

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    Tony is the creative executive for Disneyland. He has influence on what goes into DL, but doesn't have the final say. The influence varies from project to project, depending upon many factors, including construction costs, operational costs, return on investment, profitability from franchise being represented through merchandise tie-ins, et al.
    AND whether TDA will let him.

• "I Break Things"

I'm always curious just how much control WDI has over the creative direction of a project. In an interview John L gives an interesting account of how Disney Co almost ruined Toy Story by insisting on specific character modifications. This was the 90's Disney Co that everyone on here loves to hate. I'm curious how 2009 Disney Co operates when it comes to creative decision making.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    Tony is the creative executive for Disneyland. He has influence on what goes into DL, but doesn't have the final say. The influence varies from project to project, depending upon many factors, including construction costs, operational costs, return on investment, profitability from franchise being represented through merchandise tie-ins, et al.
    Tony's title is Senior Vice President of Creative Development for Walt Disney Imagineering.

Projects done on his watch include the restoration of the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthru, Buzz Lightyear's Atom Blasters, the Captain Jack Sparrow update to Pirates of the Caribbean, Pirates' Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, Tarzan's Treehouse and Winnie the Pooh.

He's also the guy who said in an interview in the last issue of E-Ticket Magazine that Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage was a "major E Ticket" attraction.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    They could have the Mine Train and Big Thunder share some of the same real estate. To rebuild the Mine Train now would require re-designing its route though. I really wish they would, that would make Frontierland stellar.
    Star Tours really belongs either in Fantasyland or Hollywood Pictures Backlot. The Star Wars films take place in the past, not the future, and Star Tours has never belonged in Tomorrowland.
    Hahaha Star Tours in Fantasyland That's Like putting a lion King Ride in Critter Country! Or is that on your to do list too? hahaha

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Clueless.
    My point is that Tony Baxter often compromises his projects so that things end up worse than before. He's really hit and miss. Original Disney Gallery was a great addition, theme perfectly for the original location in New Orleans Square, not so much for the Gallery on Main Street. Tony's TL'98 Project - turned disaster.

Tony's Big Thunder undercut what likely would have been another Marc Davis Classic with Western River Expedition, planned for WDW. Unfortunately, we have not had a chance to see that project realized. Tony did rescue America Sing's characters with the creation of Splash Mountain.

Tony's timing isn't the best either. Sure he opened Sleeping Beauty Castle walk thru after a ridiculous closure of 8 years, but the walk thru was closed during DL's 50th. And the audio animatronic Lincoln was not brought back in time for Lincoln's 200th birthday early this year, it's just plain dumb to see that after the 200th birthday DL started advertising that Lincoln would be back to celebrate the 200th (guess Tony planned for Lincoln to be late to his own party)

Likewise if Tony did plan for a Tahitian Terrace return, I hope it would come back as successfully as Tommorland Terrace came back, But odds are a new Tahitian Terrace would suffer from some odd compromises.

• We Want The Redhead

I've met Tony B. a few different times, and he is a very sweet and pleasant guy. He listens and responds better than any other Disneyland exec I have meet. He's just as likely to take the time to show a kid where he used to sell popcorn at the hub, as talk shop with any imagineer.
    That being said, when Alladin writes:

[QUOTE=Aladdin;1055592676]My point is that Tony Baxter often compromises his projects so that things end up worse than before. He's really hit and miss. QUOTE]

I have to agree entirely.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Minion

My point is that Tony Baxter often compromises his projects so that things end up worse than before. He's really hit and miss. Original Disney Gallery was a great addition, theme perfectly for the original location in New Orleans Square, not so much for the Gallery on Main Street. Tony's TL'98 Project - turned disaster.
    The original Disney Gallery was there because of Baxterís efforts. The loss of it was because, at the time, he had no power due to WDI politics. The Gallery is now on Main Street, not because thatís where Baxter wanted it, but because that was the only option given to him. Were there better options? Yes. But they were blocked, so he took the one offered rather than have the Gallery go to Yesterland.

Tony's Big Thunder undercut what likely would have been another Marc Davis Classic with Western River Expedition, planned for WDW. Unfortunately, we have not had a chance to see that project realized. Tony did rescue America Sing's characters with the creation of Splash Mountain.
    Whether Western River Expedition would have ever been built can be speculated, but the failure of it being built cannot really be blamed on Big Thunder.

Tony's timing isn't the best either. Sure he opened Sleeping Beauty Castle walk thru after a ridiculous closure of 8 years, but the walk thru was closed during DL's 50th. And the audio animatronic Lincoln was not brought back in time for Lincoln's 200th birthday early this year, it's just plain dumb to see that after the 200th birthday DL started advertising that Lincoln would be back to celebrate the 200th (guess Tony planned for Lincoln to be late to his own party)
    Baxterís timing is not his to determine. It was his ingenuity that got it redone at all. The timing was set by others. He just had the ability to take advantage of the opportunity when it presented itself.

As for the Lincoln show, I understand that he had tried to get that effort off the ground early enough to get it opened of the 200th birthday. I believe that the original concept even had a much grander Opera House redo planned. But again, he had no control over those who wield the power. And again, weíre lucky just to get the show at all.

So, to assert that itís Baxterís intention to do things haphazardly is wrong.

Likewise if Tony did plan for a Tahitian Terrace return, I hope it would come back as successfully as Tommorland Terrace came back, But odds are a new Tahitian Terrace would suffer from some odd compromises.
    If Baxter intends to redo Tahitian Terrace, you can be assured that the will do everything in his power to retain itís original integrity.

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Off topic -- Tomorrowland is NOT about the future. It is about hope and optimism using today's technologies and technologies yet to be developed. At least that's what it was about until people started assuming it was about the future. That's when it started going downhill.
    I do not agreed with you, hole heartly!
    Can we get a Tomorrowland back to the FUTURE!
    Future about "H O P E " !
    Last edited by Eagleman; 10-03-2009 at 06:46 PM.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Tony's title is Senior Vice President of Creative Development for Walt Disney Imagineering.
    Correct. Sr VP is his title, but his job description is Creative Executive of Disneyland. Tony was "returned" to Disneyland in May 2007, heading up WDI's efforts in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Projects done on his watch include the restoration of the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthru, Buzz Lightyear's Atom Blasters, the Captain Jack Sparrow update to Pirates of the Caribbean, Pirates' Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, Tarzan's Treehouse and Winnie the Pooh.
    I'm not so sure about Buzz or the Jack Sparrow update being done on "Tony's watch."

Tony was removed from creative control of DL in the summer of 2001, when Tom Fitzgerald was promoted to Executive VP in charge of Creative Development for WDI, and Barry Braverman was put in charge of WDI-Anaheim. Barry was subsequently removed from that position, but it wasn't returned to Tony until two years ago at the urging of Lasseter.

Both Buzz and the update to PotC were done before Tony took back the creative reins of DL.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Return of" Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland "would be great!
    So many us who remeber as I do,Express they want it back in someway!

• We Want The Redhead

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Off topic -- Tomorrowland is NOT about the future. It is about hope and optimism using today's technologies and technologies yet to be developed. At least that's what it was about until people started assuming it was about the future. That's when it started going downhill.

From opening day it was also about education and the 'hard facts' of what it would take to keep us moving forwrad as a species.
    That included understanding the need for alternative energy sources (in those days it was presumed nuclear would be the way to go) as well as space exploration and new ways of conceiving life in cities here on earthn a way that could preserve the nature surrounding them. Some of us remember rather wistfully the large model of the origiinal Experimental Prototype City Of Tomorrow (EPCOT) before it was abandoned as a concept for possible future living, and diluted to the point of being a watered down theme park.
    It wasn't all optimism, it was also almost a warning about some of the paths we were taking and how some might not be as positive as we might think. That's why so many alternatives to lifestyles we were already immersed in (the original house of tomorrow) and transportation (People Mover for urban travel, Monorail for long distances) were being offered along side the 'Astro Jets.'
    Tomorrow is still a dream away...
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Seems like all of my favorite eateries have gone to yesterdayland....Captain Hooks, American Egg House, Tahitian Terrace, Space Place, Plaza Pavilion....(sigh)

The only one left is Blue Bayou....thankfully I never went there in my youth(first time I dined there I was 19) or it'd probably be gone too
    I do not remeber the egg house all other place you have list I do
    and your right great eateries...Blue Bayou is a cool place But the food not the same..............to me not to the good
    Last edited by Eagleman; 10-03-2009 at 07:04 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
    Hahaha Star Tours in Fantasyland That's Like putting a lion King Ride in Critter Country! Or is that on your to do list too? hahaha
    Since you couldn't figure it out on your own, I'll go ahead and spell it out explicitly: Star Wars is fantasy.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE View Post
    I personally would love if he decided to bring Tahitan Terrace back as well. I personally have never experienced it and I don't believe it would be too hard to bring it back and it would give Disneyland some more of that special feel that Tony Baxter has been giving back to the park.

Same here. Never had much interest in the place when i was younger, but I now regret never having seen it.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast