Flag Retreat Ceremony

I saw this on the schedule and I was wondering what it is and where it is.

• Minion

Re: Flag Retreat Ceremony

It's right where the dedication of Disneyland plaque is on Main Street. It's when they let down the American Flag in the evening.

• Senior Minion

It is right in smack dab in the middle of The Town Square by the Train Station, Opera House, and City Hall and Firehouse and Walt's Apartment. Rumor has it Mickey Rooney was there yesterday for the morning ceremony.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Photographer/Disney Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    It's right where the dedication of Disneyland plaque is on Main Street. It's when they let down the American Flag in the evening.
    Its pretty neat to watch. Sometimes they bring in celebs or military to do the drop and raise. Best view from the main st. train depot.

For the record....when the flag is raised in the morning there is NO ceremony. A Security Officer, maybe 2 if another is not busy, simply raises the flag. It usually happens around 6am, well before the park opens. On very rare occasions....Veterans Day, 4th of July, etc..... there MAY be a special raising later in the day when the park opens. This doesn't happen very often.

In the recent past, on Veterans Day, all cast members who served in the military were invited to attend a special raising ceremony in their military uniform. This also took place before the park opened to the public.
    Last edited by 10-8atDisneyland; 10-14-2005 at 02:06 PM.

• e komo mai

Ah, I was just thinking about this the other day at the park. I have never seen the flag retreat ceremony. I'll have to remember to catch it sometime.

• SM - 14 TIMES! DLAND!!!

Over the summer.......they have the flag retreat with the All American College Band and its very moving.........when they fold up the flag the band plays music but during normal season there is silence and its very interesting to watch.
    "I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."

¡Quédese sentó por favor!

• Not really a Member

Here are some photos from this summer:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mauska...=/fa21&.src=ph

• Sock Puppet

It is pretty awesome to see and the security guards that participate in the flag lowering ceremony do a great job and with great care too. It is moving hearing the National Anthem played as well. My only disappointment is that the majority of guests, mainly american guests, cannot take the time to pay respect to their flag, despite being at Disneyland.

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

Quote Originally Posted by TENORDRUMMER
    It is pretty awesome to see and the security guards that participate in the flag lowering ceremony do a great job and with great care too. It is moving hearing the National Anthem played as well. My only disappointment is that the majority of guests, mainly american guests, cannot take the time to pay respect to their flag, despite being at Disneyland.
    It's not that we don't want to pay our respects, most of us just didn't know about the ceremony. I'm looking forward to catching it the next time we are there.

• Sock Puppet

I was not talking about you bejeweledcat, I was making my general observations that I have seen. There have been times when you hear over the loud speaker that they will be lowering the flag and to stop what you are doing to observe the ceremony (I don't remember the exact verbage). But again, i have seen people walking and actually looking at the ceremony, with the National Anthem playing in the background, w/o stopping to pay tribute by taking off their hats, etc.. Of course I have seen younger people singing to the National Anthem in mockery, which pisses me off. maybe I am too patriotic.

• Who's your DaddyB?

There's is always music playing during the ceremony. From the time that the color guard comes from behind the castmember exit over by the MadHatters shop well past the time that they've gone back behind. I've never seen the All American College Band perform this, and while I would say that it would more likely be the Disneyland Band performing it (and I've seen neither) I wouldn't doubt that they've done it at some time in the past. It's just whenever I've seen it, it's always been recorded music.

Many people do not stop to watch and pay respects to the flag retreat ceremony. I would say "most". What I learned very recently is that the castmembers inside City Hall stop what they're doing and come out to observe the retreat from the steps. I thought that was kinda' classy.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• done

Quote Originally Posted by daddyb
    Many people do not stop to watch and pay respects to the flag retreat ceremony. I would say "most".
    When the pin traders were in the Showcase area, it used to tick me off that they wouldn't stop talking and stop what they were doing during flag retreat.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyb
    What I learned very recently is that the castmembers inside City Hall stop what they're doing and come out to observe the retreat from the steps. I thought that was kinda' classy.
    On September 11, many more cast members attend flag retreat. You'll generally see City Hall and tour guide cast members in attendance as well as many Emporium cast members. If September 11 is on a weekday, I've also seen a lot of TDA people in attendance.

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

Oh dear, something else to bring tears to my eyes at DL. I'm such a softy.