Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Cool Report Card: Halloweentime at Disneyland Resort

So, I finally got a chance to experience this year's Halloweentime at Disneyland.

1. Haunted Mansion Holiday - It's back. It's fun, although the novelty is wearing off after a few years. They should budget a few extra bucks each year, and come up with a new scene or new effects, or even extra decor on the outside. B+

2. Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy - I wasn't impressed, it was kind of lame overall, especially being able to see the edges of the screens the ghosts were projected onto. I liked that it seemed a little darker (literally, as in there was less light) but it was also darker in a storytelling way, and I could see how the whole experience might have been frightening for kids. C-

3. Halloween fireworks - Good idea, limited selection of villains. Why was it almost all Jack Skellington and Ursula? Wanting to differentiate from Fantasmic perhaps? With all the Disney villain material, it seemed odd to highlight these two, who I had just seen in the mansion and in Fantasmic. B

Finally, since it's opening coincided with Halloweentime...

4. Disney Gallery - lost most of the charm associated with former location in NOS. Busy tile pattern on the floor, and wallpaper and bank elements detract from the presentation. The exhibet was one of the weakest in memory. Glad to have a Disney Gallery back, but it's kind of a sad photocopy of it's former self. D

If you have visited recently and have experienced any of these with your own eyes, I invite you to give out your own report card.

• DL podcaster

Re: Report Card: Halloweentime at Disneyland Resort

1. HMH - I agree that it's getting a bit old and some new additions would be nice. but I love nightmare before christmas so it's still one of my favorite holiday overlays. just something new every so often would be nice. B-

2. Ghost Galaxy - I was disappointed too. It seemed like a glorified version of the mummy ride at universal...instead of cardboard cutouts of mummies, projections of ghosts. I do appreciate the effort put into it though and I could get what they were trying to do. I'm not sure how they could have improved it, but the projections were incredibly obvious. Overall, A for effort but I give it a C

3. Halloween fireworks - the new elements were great and i loved the idea of a halloween fireworks show. honestly i wanted the show to be darker and less....pop music. i understand that it's disneyland and they don't want it to be scary, but just a little bit scary would be nice...like the haunted mansion part of the RDCT fireworks show. overall it was entertaining, but not what i expected in a halloween fireworks show. B

4. disney gallery - wasn't open when i went, so i can't pass judgement on it yet

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Ghost Galaxy should have been more of an Alien Atmosphere.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

HMH - A, loved it as always. Will always be a classic

Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy - B, loved it! It was AWESOME!!! Much tamer then the Hong Kong version. Loved the outside projections on the mountain.

Halloween Fireworks - A++++++++++++, need I say more???? IT WAS AWESOME!!! Puts "Magical" to shame!!

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Outside projections on Space Mountain were fun. What did you love so much about the inside of the attraction?

The fireworks show was fun but not as much punch as the 50th anniversary show which was both fun and emotional.

HMH-meh
    Ghost Galaxy outside-A inside-B
    Halloween Screams-A
    Disney Gallery-not open on my visit
    Matthew

• Murphy Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    HMH - A, loved it as always. Will always be a classic

Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy - B, loved it! It was AWESOME!!! Much tamer then the Hong Kong version. Loved the outside projections on the mountain.

Halloween Fireworks - A++++++++++++, need I say more???? IT WAS AWESOME!!! Puts "Magical" to shame!!

I totally agree with the Fireworks!
    Jennifer
    http://www.facebook.com/cadensmama
    Disneyland Cast Member - Class of 2006 - January 2006 - July 2006 Fanstasyland Stores Lead

• Murphy Lover

HMH - This year is the 2nd time I have been on it, I thought that it was great! A

Ghost Galaxy - Outside B; I can't get on the ride cuz I go with my son all the time to DL and he is only 2. But from what I heard its a total Failure.

Halloween Screams - A+++++++++++

Gallery - Wasnt open when I went.
    Jennifer
    http://www.facebook.com/cadensmama
    Disneyland Cast Member - Class of 2006 - January 2006 - July 2006 Fanstasyland Stores Lead

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

It was great seeing you again yesterday, CA. You must come by more often!

I pretty much agree with your grades on everything except GG which I would grade a b+ to a-

I know the halo effect of the projections are bothersome to some on here. But after having ridden it I think this actually enhances the effect in that it gives an impression that there is an energy radiating from and surrounding the ghost galaxy. Although there is one part where you see the shadow of your car on one of the projections as you go by, but that can easily be adjusted

In all I think gg is a great overlay and pushes DL's Halloween festivities closer to that of Knotts. Which in regards to Halloween is a good thing.

• Future Indy Castmember

HMH: Didn't go on it yet.

Ghost Galaxy: A+. The effects and the ghost encounters really freaked me out. And I agree with DIP's view of the halo effect

Halloween Screams: A-. A very well done show. Wish it was longer though.

Disney Gallery: B+. While it is smaller than the previous location, it nethertheless is well done and provides easy acess into the Opera House next door.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Halloween Screams-A. I really, really enjoyed it. The only part I didn't like about it was the Poor Unfortunate Souls portion, I thought that was off.

Ghost Galaxy-B+ I enjoyed it, but thought it was going to be a bit scarier. I got a bit of a Mummy feel from it also. It was defintely re-rideable

HMH-B It seemed to us that the graveyard seemed hastily put together, lacked a bit this year. Just my personal opinion.

Outside of GG and Disney Gallery-didn't get to see either-Since I didn't get to see either of these I won't give an opinion just based on what I've heard.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom View Post
    Halloween Screams-A. I really, really enjoyed it. The only part I didn't like about it was the Poor Unfortunate Souls portion, I thought that was off.

I was thinking they were going to use the other version of Poor unfortunate Souls used in Hallowishes in WDW. Was more upbeat IMO.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    It was great seeing you again yesterday, CA. You must come by more often!
    Thanks, you too buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    In all I think gg is a great overlay and pushes DL's Halloween festivities closer to that of Knotts. Which in regards to Halloween is a good thing.
    I think it's important to keep the tradition going.

But I'd like to see something more like Green Martians take over Space Mountain, and "force" you to ride with a pitchfork at the loading area. Use the fear of extra terrestrial aliens coming and taking over Earth. It goes back to Orson Welles. Maybe even have the recording in the queue?

• Pongo is my hero.

If Halloween Screams is A++++++++++++++ does that make Remember A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++?

Some teachers you guys are :P

one hundred and one

• Banned User

Blog Entries

If we were giving out grades that high, REMEMBER would earn it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast