Page 3 of 134 FirstFirst 123456132853103 ... LastLast

• (Not a) New User

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Part 6: A Prequel in Time, The Unrelenting

Kreepy Karl, when I went to the site and I clicked on one of the links, and it told me that there was an address error. I did this with all the sites you put up, and they all did the same.

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

• Perhaps he knows too much

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Part 6: A Prequel in Time, The Unrelenting

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post

I always felt that Disneyland got the shaft on the spooky themeing. I realize Walt didn't want something like that in his parks (which all Mansions since abandoned).
    The thing I driven home by watching the Martin/Warren ridethrough vid is that the visitor is totally isolated from the WDW facade. You're shuffled through a bunch of side structures, and enter through a hole in the hill with the actual facade always looming above you out of reach. Which I'm sure sets up it's own interesting psychological context for the ride, but I think there's something to be said for being able to walk up on the front porch and physically touch the building itself.

• Yoiks!

Weird!
    They used to work. Try typing them in manually.

• Shopping With You

Quote Originally Posted by anazgnos View Post
    I think there's something to be said for being able to walk up on the front porch and physically touch the building itself.
    Very true, I noticed this my first time at DL after many WDW visits.

Also yes, flash really ruins the effects. Check out the "Phantom Residents" section on [Happy-Haunts] [Phantom Manor] Welcome, some look gold!

Happy-Haunts.com - Phantom Residents

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyKid1994 View Post
    Kreepy Karl, when I went to the site and I clicked on one of the links, and it told me that there was an address error. I did this with all the sites you put up, and they all did the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreepy Karl View Post
    Weird!
    They used to work. Try typing them in manually.
    You can't get to them that way. That's what the links in my post were for. You can do better by going to archives.org and going to their internet archives. Find their "way-back machine" and type in the address there. If anything is still floating in cyberspace, that usually turns it up. Once you get to one of those derelict sites, see if it still has a set of HM links in it somewhere and try those. Something eerie about those electronic ghost towns.

I'll reward all you Thread-heads by posting a link to a dead HM site that even Madame Leota would never be able to conjure up for you. You simply have to know that it exists by some sort of previous contact.

<http://www.geocities.com/cast_classics/HauntedM.html>

And GRD, granny is still looking for you. She wants you to meet Mister Stick.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Inhospitable about happy

In defense of the DL façade, it used to be part of a subtle process of gradually increasing spookiness. The house and grounds look normal. Then there's that family cemetery. Kinda creepy. Some of the tombstone epitaphs betray a mordant wit. Nothing knee-slappin' funny, just whimsy. None of them went beyond the humor you can find on grave epitaphs in the real world. As you get closer to the door, you can hear the faint sound of a creepy organ playing in there. The foyer is dark and sombre, but there's nothing overtly spooky. Not until the door closes behind you do you hear something definitely not right. A deep masculine voice is coming from nowhere, reciting some kind of poetic litany. Finally, he announces that he is in fact a ghost.

From the first sighting of the building on the outside until "I am your host, your ghost host," you have a subtle escalation, a quietly growing sense of dread.

DL rocks. Or it did.

Now, of course, with that stupid horse harness, the whole thing is rushed. And the pet cemetery with its Tim Burton-ish fantasy element is a poor substitute for X Atencio's droll but perfectly possible tombstones. And they don't close both doors behind you. They did the first time I ever went on the HM.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Larger Than (After)Life

I hadn't thought of any of these differences between the original and present Haunted Mansion, until HBG2's mention of them — and he's right. But the difference is not subtle; it's marked! And it's not because I know what to expect now. With regard to approachment, even a slight variation in the tones of visual and other sensory stimulation changes the gradual build of the HM entrance process, until the crescendo of the lightning strike that illuminates the hanging corpse in the cupola above the stretching room. It's really quite artful in its reveal/quiet foretelling — or was, until the Burton overlay and other elements fairly recently added began giving away too much, too soon and too obviously. What keen perception on HBG2's part! And now that I realize what's gone, I miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bungle View Post
    Check out the "Phantom Residents" section on [Happy-Haunts] [Phantom Manor] Welcome, some look gold!

Happy-Haunts.com - Phantom Residents
    Phantom Manor's bride looks like Miss Kitty from "Gunsmoke."

Back to the Haunted Mansion entrance and graduating impact:

I always thought that the changes made outside the attraction were done simply to make room to accommodate longer lines.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

I've often thought about the difference in appearance between the two facades, but thinking about how we approach and connect with those facades is an interesting new wrinkle.

I love the WDW façade, and have grown frustrated with how difficult it's gotten to get a good look at the front of the building anymore. Between the continued growth of the trees out front and the awning added with the 2007 refurb, you can't really get a nice view of Florida's mansion's best side.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Sort of a random comment, but Bassy and I noticed a new stone in the pet cemetery. It's a monkey with cymbals....Perhaps a previously unnoticed part of the HMH overlay, but still rather interesting.

Phantom Manor is much darker to me than the other incarnations around the world, and the photos that DarkF shared just make me want to go there even more.

As for the ride being different than it was....Other than the HMH, I don't mind it the way it is. Constance wasn't my favorite addition, but she grew on me--hell, I might be Constance for Halloween if my plans for playing pirate fall through.

EDIT: Googling looking for a Constance picture to compare to a costume I found on buycostumes.com, I found this: YTMND - Original Haunted Mansion Bride Stare ....Which means that some HM fan, somewhere, penetrated YTMND with this!!!! Not really anything noteworthy, but a nice version of the full "I do!" attic loop. Also, any input on the costume linkage? I figure if I add five pearl necklaces and an axe then it couldn't be any worse than the 40th Anniversary party's Connie.
    Last edited by CaitlinMcFly; 10-07-2009 at 01:17 PM.
    dreams. come. true.

The monkey toy was a transition device used in the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical remake of "Phantom of the Opera."

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    The monkey toy was a transition device used in the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical remake of "Phantom of the Opera."
    And here I thought it was a shoutout to my username.

• Mr. Ghost

First a word on the haunted in the HM .. There was an article on Phantasmechanics.com that was basically the same as HBG2's prose on the build up to the guest seeing the mansion.. (is this place haunted) getting closer( is that a light in the window).. closer (family graves)
    entering the foyer( funeral dirge).
    Halloween: Just Imagine!
    And as for the WDW mansion, there was a blog( the name of which escapes me) that gives tip on getting good photo's
    from Tom Sawyer Island, The Lily Belle, and other places in Frontierland.
    And now for something completly different.... for flash photos changing the way something looks, the most glaring example I can think of is the Catwoman costume in Batman Returns, on film it looked great, but under flash , not so much... (off topic) the stitches were 'gasp' glued on.
    Batman Unmasked Image Gallery - Screen used prop pics/DSCN0152

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

Quote Originally Posted by anazgnos View Post
    The thing I driven home by watching the Martin/Warren ridethrough vid is that the visitor is totally isolated from the WDW facade. You're shuffled through a bunch of side structures, and enter through a hole in the hill with the actual facade always looming above you out of reach. Which I'm sure sets up it's own interesting psychological context for the ride, but I think there's something to be said for being able to walk up on the front porch and physically touch the building itself.
    Think of WDW's entrance as thus, the canopy area actually leads from what used to be the sleepy hollow booth which was a place to get halloween masks and the like and it was made to look like the mansion's stables and the entrance itself is the servant's entrance.
    The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.