Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Why was Light Magic such a failure?

k quick question, how did they go about cancelling? did they give a few days warning? how bad was everyting behind the scenes? were there getting lots of complaints or was it the technology that was a pain? Youd think after spending 40 million dollars they would try and make some fixes to make it last so they arent in the hole.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Well, it was fibre optics, so they don't burn out... Now, people didn't like the show, they had line up's going down main street at city hall of people complaining, wanting MSEP back!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• 1 Fanboy to Rule Them All

Hmm... Upon reading those Jim Hill articles, I discovered that I actually went to one of the 3 exclusive "Vons Nights" before the premiere. I remember only seeing this parade once, but was too young to remember the night clearly. I do still, however, have some confetti ('pixie dust') that I saved once the parade had ended.

Quote Originally Posted by grvtydefy
    For anybody who doesn't know, a video of Light Magic is now available at www.visionsfantastic.com - I thought it was pretty good- and I really wish I had the chance to see it!
    For those curious, VF has been crashing constantly under the massive server load of hosting this large (90 megs plus) video. We've already had over 1000 downloads of this video and the server is tired. You may want to wait a few days to download this.

• Minion

The thing I found most telling about the parade was that it's climax involved the MSEP music coming back (slightly punched up, but the same theme) When the finale (and best part) of your new parade is the couple minutes where you have the old music back, you know you have a problem. I actually do enjoy the "Dream our Dream" theme song though.

Light Magic would have been better off had it debuted in the Fantasyland Theatre where it actually be performed as a show and not a "streetactular" as it was.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Rule #1 of shows on streets: no stopping.
    Yep. I agree. Which is why I don't like PoD.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Parade of dreams fixed the issue though, you have a 3 minute show stop, instead of a 30 minute show stop!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• A Pirate's life for me!

We first saw LM during the TV preview/opening night. Camera crews and reporters were everywhere. We thought that we had a good spot, until the floats stopped about 25' from where we were told they would. Due to the sideways view, we could barely see the large monitor, so not much made sense to us. We were SOOO disappointed...On our way out, the CM's were asking folks for their opinions. We gave ours and we PERSONALLY feel responsible for its demise. We trashed it bad and I even commented that I would be surprised if it would last through Labor Day. No surprise (to me), it was announced that after the Labor Day w/e, it would be cancelled.

• Banned User

What i guess happened is this.. it was new.. original.. and people loved a parade and not a seatacular.. which WDW has been doing show stops for it's 25th b-day... but never tested on a nighttime event..

also.. as said before.. it got bad rep from it's preview nights... due to mis communication....

• Super saucy pixie!

You know, I always thought the music was cute, and I liked the colors, and the lights, but it was the lack of storyline/plot that did it. I think it also had an air of trying to outdo the MSEP (which most people won't allow). On the other hand, I think anything that followed the MSEP had its work cut out for itself. How do you follow a classic beloved by all?
    Ooh...yeah and the pixies were kinda creepy... with that hand gesture thing they'd do? They were kinda cheesy and I always found it hard not to laugh at them sadly.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DCADude
    k quick question, how did they go about cancelling? did they give a few days warning? how bad was everyting behind the scenes? were there getting lots of complaints or was it the technology that was a pain? Youd think after spending 40 million dollars they would try and make some fixes to make it last so they arent in the hole.

http://www.yesterland.com/lightmagic.html

Light Magic, Disneyland's "streetacular," ran from May 1997 through Labor Day 1997. Disneyland officials announced that Light Magic would be "on hiatus" until the year 2000.

The year 2000 came and went without the reappearance of Light Magic. It's highly unlikely that anything resembling the 1997 edition will ever be back. And it's doubtful that even the name "Light Magic" will ever be reused by Disneyland.

To put it nicely, guest reactions to Light Magic were mixed. The Long Beach Press Telegram (May 24, 1997) reported, "Disneyland's Light Magic street show was unveiled Friday night to overflow crowds and a lukewarm reception." The Los Angeles Times (Oct. 15, 1997) called it "the $20-million dud." According to the Orange County Register (Oct. 16, 1997), "It failed to attract much of a following."

For Summer 1998, Disneyland presented a new nighttime parade, "Mulan Parade," based on Disney's new animated feature. The movie "Mulan" is based on a Chinese tale about a courageous young woman who distinguishes herself in the army, disguised as a man, in the place of her ailing father.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Prefect

Blog Entries

people viewed it as a replacement for MSEP instead of another parade/show on its own. i think people were used to how bright the lights were on MSEP & the fibre optics just couldn't compete. also, the pixie masks were very creepy & weird. i think they should have just done without the masks and used some pretty, sparkly make-up. also, the whole waking up of the characters was a very long, slow way to start the show (i.e. boring).

the music and dance was cute & the floats/stages were pretty. too bad there were just too many things going against it.
    <o>

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Because it sucked.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• ...lurks...

I dunno, but would have liked to have seen the actual event...as long as the next one does not inclued dopey graduating down mainstreet to 'pomp and circumstance'...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12