Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Year's Eve Pros and Cons

I know it will be CROWDED. However, I have always wanted to go to DLR on New Years. I think that this might be our year. I am taking my 13 years old with me. I am also going to have to convince my husband that I am not crazy. What are some pros and cons to going to DLR for New Year's Eve? Thanks.
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

• I'd rather be @ D-land

Re: New Year's Eve Pros and Cons

I've always wanted to be there on New Year's Eve too. A friend of mine told me that every year she tries to time it so that she is in "Hell" in Mr. Toad's Wild Ride right at 12:01 so that the year can only get better from that minute. Unfortunately I've never been so I have no advice I can offer and I'm h peing I can hear some through this thread.
    Last edited by sueb; 10-07-2009 at 12:32 PM.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

The biggest con of New Years Eve is the crowds. Disneyland is usually quite full, but CA Adventure is a pretty good alternative: Not too crowded, you can enjoy a glass of wine if that's your thing, eat some good food and watch some fireworks. I also find that, regardless of crowd size, I find Disneyland to have a very fun atmosphere. It's a very celebratory air and makes for a fun evening.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• We Want The Redhead

Quote Originally Posted by sueb View Post
    I've always wanted to be there on New Year's Eve too. A friend of mine told me that every year she tries to time it so that she is in "Hell" in Peter Pan's Flight right at 12:01 so that the year can only get better from that minute. Unfortunately I've never been so I have no advice I can offer and I'm h peing I can hear some through this thread.

Hell is Mr. Toad, Peter Pan is London, which some would argue is roughly the same thing...
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Banned User

The PROs:

-Fireworks countdown show and pre-shows are one of a kind.
    -Freebie Disney handouts like hats, noisemakers, etc.
    -The satisfaction of saying that you survived NYE at Disneyland.
    -The afterparty at the House of Blues.
    -Knowing that by the time you make it out of the resort (2am or later) all of the really drunk drivers have either gone home or have sobered up by then.
    -If you're visiting from out of town and have a room near or at the resort you don't have to worry about driving home.

The CONs:

-It is CROWDED!! So crowded in fact that you almost cannot walk around freely in the park, instead you need to find a wave of people heading in the direction that you're going in, jump into it, and hope that when the wave breaks that you are at your anticipated destination.
    -Trams and Shuttles to the parking areas are a nightmare to get onto, hence why I mentioned as a plus that by the time that you are back in your car it will be about 2-2:30 and most drunk drivers will be off the road by then.
    -Bathroom lines.. even the secret bathroom needs a fastpass machine.
    -Dining.. since they close the park gates for high attendance early on NYE you are most likely going to have to figure out where/when you are going to eat ahead of time. I would suggest that you get preferred seating for one of the sit-down restaurants for both lunch & dinner to avoid long waits at the food counter.
    -Ride queues.. think of a fastpass strategy and stick to it, you'll be glad that you did when you see at noon that the Indy standby line is 120 minutes.
    -Rude guests.. well maybe just people frustrated that the park is so crowded but they still throw tantrums, watch out for flying elbows.

I'm sure that you can have a great time in the parks just as long as you plan ahead and are willing to deal with the crowds. I for one hate when the park gets to max capacity so naturally I don't really like NYE or the other major holidays that much.

• Disneyland History Lover

Me and my boyfriend went last year. It was super crowded, but we had a blast nonetheless. It was also very chilly and foggy, so we couldn't see the fireworks. But it was fun anyway just to be there to ring in the new year. We're planning on being there again this coming New Years. I would definitely say get there early.

What offerings do DCA have vs DL? If one wanted a spot for Fireworks how early is early enough to get a "good" spot? Are we talking 6pm? Is the park open passed midnight, or does it close just after? Tell me more tell me more.
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

• I'd rather be @ D-land

Quote Originally Posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
    Hell is Mr. Toad, Peter Pan is London, which some would argue is roughly the same thing...
    silly me!!! I stand corrected. And I call myself a Disneyland fan....
    I fixed it. Thanks
    Last edited by sueb; 10-07-2009 at 12:34 PM.

• Disneyland or bust!

Quote Originally Posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
    The PROs:

-Fireworks countdown show and pre-shows are one of a kind.
    -Freebie Disney handouts like hats, noisemakers, etc.
    -The satisfaction of saying that you survived NYE at Disneyland.
    -The afterparty at the House of Blues.
    -Knowing that by the time you make it out of the resort (2am or later) all of the really drunk drivers have either gone home or have sobered up by then.
    -If you're visiting from out of town and have a room near or at the resort you don't have to worry about driving home.

The CONs:

-It is CROWDED!! So crowded in fact that you almost cannot walk around freely in the park, instead you need to find a wave of people heading in the direction that you're going in, jump into it, and hope that when the wave breaks that you are at your anticipated destination.
    -Trams and Shuttles to the parking areas are a nightmare to get onto, hence why I mentioned as a plus that by the time that you are back in your car it will be about 2-2:30 and most drunk drivers will be off the road by then.
    -Bathroom lines.. even the secret bathroom needs a fastpass machine.
    -Dining.. since they close the park gates for high attendance early on NYE you are most likely going to have to figure out where/when you are going to eat ahead of time. I would suggest that you get preferred seating for one of the sit-down restaurants for both lunch & dinner to avoid long waits at the food counter.
    -Ride queues.. think of a fastpass strategy and stick to it, you'll be glad that you did when you see at noon that the Indy standby line is 120 minutes.
    -Rude guests.. well maybe just people frustrated that the park is so crowded but they still throw tantrums, watch out for flying elbows.

I'm sure that you can have a great time in the parks just as long as you plan ahead and are willing to deal with the crowds. I for one hate when the park gets to max capacity so naturally I don't really like NYE or the other major holidays that much.
    I would agree with much of this, except that it's more negative than it needs to be... it's really just like any very busy day at the park, with an EXTRA measure of festiveness. I don't think the guests are any more rude, I don't think the ride queues are any more busy, than they would be on a super busy day in the middle of summer, BUT you have the advantage that at least you're not broiling in the sun!

I've gone a couple of times, and sometimes the Park doesn't fill to capacity... last year, with the fog, we got into Disneyland itself even without going earlier in the day so we'd swipe as re-entries.

OH! That would be my one bit of advice: go in the morning so you can enter Disneyland, even for one minute, just so your pass shows that you came into the Park. As the day advances, admission to Disneyland (as opposed to DCA) will slowly become more and more restricted, i.e. they stop daily ticket sales, then they restrict to "re-entries" (has to have been to Disneyland itself, not DCA), and so on, ending with no one being allowed into the Park because it fills to capacity.

But last year, with the fog, attendance was down, and it was supremely cool, very surreal and pretty, so that even though you couldn't really see the fireworks, it was still a huge party! Very much worth the trip. I hope to spend New Year's Eve there again this year, this time with my someone-special.
    "A bad day at Disneyland is better then a great day at work." ~ Max Fischer

• Disneyland or bust!

Quote Originally Posted by sleepybear View Post
    What offerings do DCA have vs DL? If one wanted a spot for Fireworks how early is early enough to get a "good" spot? Are we talking 6pm? Is the park open passed midnight, or does it close just after? Tell me more tell me more.
    I don't know about how early you would have to go to secure a good spot for the fireworks, as that's never been my priority. I do know that Disneyland stays open until about 2am, if I recall correctly, and DCA until 1am. Very cool to be going on Space Mountain in party hats at 2am! LOL!

Oh, and both Disneyland and DCA have DJ'd music areas, like huge block parties with different types of music... but DCA has more separate areas, if I recall correctly. Trying to think back, I think DCA had at least 3-4 separate areas, each with their own kinds of music, different DJ's, and so on. I think Disneyland just had the one huge Main Street party.
    "A bad day at Disneyland is better then a great day at work." ~ Max Fischer

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sleepybear View Post
    I'm not sure about the DCA offerings but I know that they do not have their own fireworks show. With that said there are different viewing locations so I'll try to cover the popular ones.

- Hub: The earlier, the better! As a general rule you should try to get a spot anytime before it becomes dark. Within an hour after dusk the hub is usually full.

- Mainstreet and the train station: 9ish, the hub will balloon out slowly into this area and collide with the guests entering the park from DCA, that is as long as they are still letting people in the front gate. It is probably best to avoid this area as it will get crowded pretty quickly.

- Fantasmic Viewing Area: Try to get there by 10:30 since much of the hub and the mainstreet overflow will start getting re-directed here. Guest Control CMs will clear out a walkway that directs the Tomorrowland and Fantasyland traffic straight into NOS and start flashlighting the guests in.

- Small World: If you don't want to deal with the crowds and being told where to go this is the best seat in the park. There are plenty of parade speakers that will play the show and event music broadcasted from the hub and there is plenty of open space around you even during the fireworks. Even at 11:45 it is not that crowded there.

• Minion

Or consider Las Vegas at New Year's Eve... the only time I would ever set foot in Las Vegas. A large fireworks show is fired from several locations on the rooftops of several major hotels, and you can see it from just about anywhere. The closest thing to being in Times Square that you'll find in the western U.S.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Or consider Las Vegas at New Year's Eve... the only time I would ever set foot in Las Vegas. A large fireworks show is fired from several locations on the rooftops of several major hotels, and you can see it from just about anywhere. The closest thing to being in Times Square that you'll find in the western U.S.
    I agree with this, especially since the resorts are clamoring to get rooms booked you can expect to see record low holiday prices this year. Vegas is just an all-out wild party on NYE, the only con that I can think of really, besides losing my money at the tables, is realizing that I had been out partying for 26 hrs and had paid $350 bucks just to use a marble shower for the night, lol.

• Hukuna Matata!

I went two years ago, I had the choice between Disneyland And California Adventure to celebrate New Years Eve, I chose Disneyland because I figured thats where the most fun would be At good ol Disneyland, Really this is what my day consisted of showing up early to stay ahead of the crowds and that was nearly impossible, The Dj showed up around 7pm and started spinning the hottest Hannah Montana radio Disney tracks "Says sarcastically" They Did give out free Party favors and hats, but the fireworks were cancelled due to wind. We made a b-line out of the park after the countdown and Power 106 a local radio station was dj'ing at California Adventure and it looked like thats where the party was, they had loud music, lights, it just looked like a huge party compared to Disneyland, they did close disneyland that day which was pretty cool, But wow what a crowd. We scored our spot around 8:45 am and stayed all day, And pretty much anyone and everyone pretty much walked right up at 11:00pm ish and just pushed there way in. The joke was on them though the fireworks were cancelled.
    Last edited by Joshnyah; 11-24-2009 at 02:01 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Joshnyah View Post
    ..And pretty much anyone and everyone pretty much walked right up at 11:00pm ish and just pushed there way in.
    That's an example of the "rude" people that I mentioned earlier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast