Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: Would you go see Light Magic one last time?

wasn't there already a topic on this?

Quote Originally Posted by cfparkmanager
    If the hardcore Disney fans would've just kept their mouth shut and given the park some time to work out the bugs then I think the show would've worked out...
    Isn't Miceage's Al Lutz credited with shutting down Light Magic?

• Minion

It would've been interesting to see what it could have been. I only saw it on a preview night by invitation. A pity that "tragic" rhymes so well with "magic" which made it a catchy title for the critics.

I have to agree with some previous posts, even though the "ugly pixies" frightened some of the smaller children, Light Magic was doomed from well before the premiere performances. The Electrical Parade devotees, DL fanatics, AP holders and others were probably more at fault for its demise than the parade itself.
    Last edited by desertdweller; 10-15-2005 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    We need to move on. It was an attempt to reduce the cost of running a nightime parade. MSEP was expensive. They wanted a cheap version with only four floats. Hardly enough for a parade.
    Light Magic was the most expensive street show Disney had ever made up until that time. And it was way more expensive to run then MSEP. I believe it was a failure because of the logistics of running such a show in a park thats too small for it.
    Last edited by Tom319; 10-15-2005 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Escapé
    wasn't there already a topic on this?
    Yes but its such an interesting topic.

• Earth Intruder

WOW that is cool to see video of light magic.

And after watching some of it, no way in hell would I want to bring it back. Neat lighting effects, but the music and pixies make me want to projectile vomit. It seems a lot like the old ET ride at Universal Studios... like some kind of children's cereal commercial. Blech.

No wonder why I don't remember seeing it. Morrigoon said that once we walked past it and I was like "What's THAT?" and she's like "Light Magic!" and I'm like "Let's go on Space Mountain!"

Also did they even ATTEMPT to choreograph this thing? There are characters just wandering aimlessly around while the pixies appear to be attempting to figure out what sort of dumb dance to do next.
    Last edited by Chernabog; 10-15-2005 at 12:21 PM.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Minion

anyone got any pics of it?

There are a few pics and a nice write up here: http://www.yesterland.com/lightmagic.html

• Mice Chat Newbie

Nope. I was there for the opening (not AP, offical one) sat on the curb forever and got to see it up close. I kept waiting for something to happen, anything! But nope - just a bunch of freakish looking elves doing Riverdance. The only thing good about it was the confetti that poured from the tops of Main Street (much to the chagrin of the street sweepers)

• Brrr...its cold out there

I thought Light Magic was not all that bad. I think that everyone really tried to compare it to MSEP, rather than comparing it to something different. The music was pretty good.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Tom319
    Light Magic was the most expensive street show Disney had ever made up until that time. And it was way more expensive to run then MSEP. I believe it was a failure because of the logistics of running such a show in a park thats too small for it.

I have to completely disagree with the statement that DL was too small to support this "streetacular". The viewing space for this LITTLE show was so limited comparred to the number of people in DL. A much larger crowd could be accomodated for any other parade in Disney History comparred to Light Magic.

The first viewing of this for me was on a special show hosted by Alex Trebec (Jeopardy host) and there is a reason why you never saw Alex host any other Disney specials. Picture creepy looking pixie people prancing irish style with Disney Characters in Pajama's.

Then, I did see the show in person, one of the 1st nights they eliminated some of the creepy pixie make up job. I thought seeing some new floats with fiber optics, as well as the buildings on Main Street lit up with fiber optics would be a fantastic sights, something a step beyond MSEP, and something they would be as neat looking as the sign advertising Light Magic, at the exit tunnels, the previous years.

Fiber optic lighting may look neat on Christmas trees, and some other decorations, BUT when you place it on Buildings and large floats, one fiber optic light is miniscule in proportion. Even when placing thousands of fiber optic lights on the buildings and floats, the light it shines it puny comparred to that of the MSEP.

With something to replace the MSEP, most people were still wanting a parade of spectacular nightime illumination in thousands of sparkling lights, with a variety of Different Disney scenes from Movies in the 2nd golden age of Disney Animation, with a few scenes lighting up the parade from original Disney Classics stories all told in many different looking floats.

Instead, unfortunately 4 identical monsterous stages, that took their time rolling into position, in the dark, when most of the crowd began to wonder "What the heck is happening, and why did 4 large things roll down the street, in the dark, and not even bother to stop. Is the show cancelled? Then the units begin to rumble down the street in the opposite direction. Will they stop this time? and they do.

Then some of the Fiber Light Magic finally lights up, which are quickly overwhelmed by the multicolored parade spotlights. A few freaky fairies wake up to the music of Riverdance gone bad, after the Riverdance fad had already ran it's course. Yes, it is one of Michael Flattley's worst nightmares come true, right in the middle of Main Street USA. They run around a little, then some Disney characters, in p.j.'s are awakened by Tinkerbell and Friends (you know Mickey and Friends HAVE to be thinking "alien abduction")

The Disney Characters run around with the fairies. Then, Thunder sounds, a screen comes down in the middle of each float, and not viewable by most of the crowd, it looked like some animation scenes were showing on the screen. Then the screen goes back up. Disney Characters and Fairies dance around AND THEN WE HEAR THE riverdance stylings of MSEP title song "Barouque Hoedown". Everyone cheers when they hear the song, tears come to peoples eyes, as everyone begins to wish that MSEP really didn't "Glow Away Forever."

People begin to look for the familar Blue Fairy Leading the MSEP, the crowds begin to realize the Barouque Hoedown song was just a cruel joke. The fairies sensing their imminent doom begin to hide all the Disney Characters safely away, and take cover themselves and get the 4 thunderous identical stages rolling back to Small World, just in time to escape the crowds who were taunted with the Barouque Hoedown.

Unfortunately the fairies forgot to protect the Cast Members at City Hall.

And NOW, you know the Rest of the Story.

Good day!

Quote Originally Posted by DLResident
    I was looking at the logo design for Light Magic and I just help but really like it. It kind of misleading and mysterious at the same time. Mickey and Minnie stare at Tinker Bell in a mystical gaze as she floats with her wand, as if ready to show them the magic of light. In the background, a dark purple color hovers and twinkling light hold over the words Light Magic. In color theory purple represents mystery and unawareness. The artist did a great job. After staring at the design for a good five minutes, I couldn't help but download the video from Visions Fantastic. In saying that the artist did a great job, I mean he/she fooled me into seeing it and how utterly disappointed I was. The beginning part was actually not that bad. The pre-show song is cool with the lights coming from everywhere in Main Street. The floats come in very slowly and mysteriously as if the song is to wake them up. But when the show actually started, I wasn't impressed. It looked as if there was no choreography at all. It's like the perfomers were told to just to do whatever for 20 minutes. I can only see this show as a Celtic Irish step dance show fit for the Fantasyland Theatre.

It's a wonder how so drawn I was to that logo, almost like a subliminal message.

See Light Magic...
    LOL. I'm glad my little animation [the logo that was on the main page of VF] was effective! (perhaps too effective). Did I mention if you looked closely at it you may see the words "Watch me!" flash for 1/10th of a second? (Just kidding)

And I DO agree with what you said about Light Magic.

• Disney Memory Maker

Jim Hill has a very interesting (albeit unfinished) 7 part series on Light Magic. I really recommend reading it to find out what it was supposed to be, why it became what it did and why it shut.

After seeing VisionsFantastic's video of lightmagic, I have two things to say. First of all, the lighting effects are wonderful (I especially like the fiber optics on the Main Street Buildings). That said, that had to be the most boring thing I've ever seen. The music was bad, the story was bad, everything was bad. Random Disney characters....randomly breaking into Lord of the Dance. I almost fell asleep on it (although that could also be because it's 2am ). But seriously it get's 5 stars for lighting effects, but negative 3 stars for everything else.

-Michael
    Last edited by TheDisneyInquisitor; 10-15-2005 at 09:58 PM.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin
    I have to completely disagree with the statement that DL was too small to support this "streetacular". The viewing space for this LITTLE show was so limited comparred to the number of people in DL. A much larger crowd could be accomodated for any other parade in Disney History comparred to Light Magic.

Thats exactly what I was talking about. DisneyLand is too small to have a show like this that only plays in two stretches of the parade route. With stops next to the matterhorn to break between shows. When it was on Main Street, Main street might as well have been closed because its to small to pack a bunch of people in for the show.

It might have worked at say DLP because there main street is on a larger scale and has walkways behind it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12