Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• e komo mai

Star Tours Shouldn't Be in Tomorrowland

I was just thinking that technically, Star Tours should not be in Tomorrowland because the movies start 'A long time ago...'.

That means it takes place in the past.

Okay, I'm kidding, but I thought that was funny. Too much time to think about trivial things I guess.

you'd better be kidding :P

it's too futurisitc to match anywere else

and people need to stop bringing up how MGM's is were it is, from what i hear they just tacked a cheap soundstage to the front of it and make it look more real as you walk in, I don't really consider that good theming seems like they just edged it in to get the ride count up

• Banned User

I also would ask if you were kidding because it is way more futuristic then buzz lightyear they are putting in there or their idea of the finding nemo sub attraction they want there.

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries
    But remeber, today is the future and the now is the past. It may be in their past but it is representative of our future. If we applied the rule that it must be our future, Buzz should not have been built. Space Mountain is also out of plce because it still represents basic space flight that hqs existed fo 30 years. The subas of xourse run on diesel and the monorail still uses wheels for propulsion.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• e komo mai

Yes, I am kidding.

I'm just making light of the fact that the movie is set in the past...

• Banned User

but if you think of it like this... TL is the future that was imagined long long long time ago.... thus Star Wars was still future.. this it is a future that never happened.. thus it fits in perfect with the palce.... Buzz was also (in a way) the same way... Space rangers have been in books by assiac azimov.....(hought it doesn't fit perfect..) and how are we going to be speeking with fish.. why in the past they thought we would have invented this gadget.. thus it works perfectly...

• Banned User

The "long time ago...." thingy with Star Wars was just to make sure the audience knew it was a fairy tale set in space and not to be taken as serious sci-fi. Star Wars is much more "Sleeping Beauty" than "Star Trek".

i am new, and just got back from another day at disney. can i get the download on what the heck is happening in tmrw land? i miss TL from 1977. white and retro modern.
    i miss the people mover, the rockets above it, and the mb murals. am i alone here?

• Minion

"A long time ago..." is inconic of Star Wars. That's why I always felt uneasy about it being in Tomorrowland. For a while, it was more appropriate because it represented a futuristic new technology, the motion simulator. But that's certainly not very futuristic anymore either.

I'm still rooting for the ride to end up in the huge empty lot that is the north side of HPB. Yes, DMGM missed a few opportunities, but the idea of presenting the Star Tours ride concept in a more immersive environment has its value, especially if it means better opportunities to do the sort of fan events DMGM does. I think people would like the ability to walk onto the Mos Eisley "set" and feel like they are in the movie.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Hero-in-Training

The past is future. The future is past. All are one.

Time is a great wheel, ever spinning. In our distant future, humanity will evolve to the Omega Point, where concepts like space and time and individuality are meaningless. We will become God, reversing the travel and the degredation of the stars and planets, winding back the clock to the point at which we first entered the universe.

And slowly but surely we will manipulate matter on the submolecular scale, setting the great universal machine in motion once again in a way that will ensure our own creation. Concepts like "fate" and "destiny" will be created by the lightest touch of our hand. And when humanity is ready to evolve once more, we will vanish into the ether from whence we came to explore the great Beyond, so that they might find the Omega Point themselves.

The past is future. The future is past. All are one.

.....................Gotcha.

hmmm... maybe we can have it magically moved to Fantasyland, like the Matterhorn? :P

• Que que no-tu-rah.

Time is realtive. Your future is someone elses past. Accept it.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by niki0619
    hmmm... maybe we can have it magically moved to Fantasyland, like the Matterhorn? :P

Subs, autopia, the train station.... all strong candidates for "relocation" to Fantasyland.... Star Tours, Star Traders, Buzz.... Heck, add a cartoon overlay to monorail, and you could push Tomorrowland all the way back to being just Space Mt and Innoventions.

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    The "long time ago...." thingy with Star Wars was just to make sure the audience knew it was a fairy tale set in space and not to be taken as serious sci-fi. Star Wars is much more "Sleeping Beauty" than "Star Trek".
    very true, Star Wars basicaly rids itself of trying to be Sci Fi and is a made up universe all it's own

the long time ago makes it so Lucas doesn't have to deal with earth or our own cutlures are all of that stuff that Gene Rodenberry had to deal with in creating Star Trek (I've noticed that earth is never really seen very much with the exception of a few of the Star Trek movies, most of the time they'd rather concentrait on cultures and places outside our own it matches the story but also helps to keep away from being too specific about exactly how human society has changed back home, we only see the society humans have created onboard the starships)

• Hero-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    the long time ago makes it so Lucas doesn't have to deal with earth or our own cutlures are all of that stuff that Gene Rodenberry had to deal with in creating Star Trek
    Yeah, but it's not in any way easier. I've been working on a sci-fi story for the past year and a half and...boy, it would make everything sooooo much easier if I had it take place in our galaxy. Earth gives you a foundation, a springboard for what to base your civilizations on. Creating a universe all from scratch (while maintaining originality) is about the hardest thing that you can do, since you basically have to create the entire past history of your fictional galaxy with nothing to base it on. It's really necessary, though. Earth's future is SUCH an overused milieu when we have an entire universe to tell stories in.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast