View Poll Results: Welcome home starbucks?

Voters
382. You may not vote on this poll
  • LOVE starbucks! Can't wait for this!

203 53.14%
  • Hate it! Just more evidence that Main St is losing it's charm!

134 35.08%
  • How bout Seatle's Best, or another option. Anything is better than whats there now!

45 11.78%
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Re: Starbucks on Main Street!

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico! View Post
    People call them fraps because no one can spell Frappaccinos, Frapaccinos, Frapachinos. . . Fraps.

I so agree on the increase in line waits. Someone on another thread complained about a recent 15 minute wait. Market House doesn't move fast and with a better cup of coffee calling people's names it could get ugly. Perhaps management would have coffee kiosks or something set up along mainstreet, to better accommodate the morning rush, for the overflow.
    Someone also mentioned turning the skyway into a coffee house with a view. That would be awesome. It might also become a favorite hang out with people lingering for hours creating what could be a problem. Great place. . . I want to get in. . . I can't because turnover is slow. . . frustration. . . okay, that's just me.
    Yes they can! Frappucinos. There. Shortening a word because it's "complicated" is just laziness ... by that logic, we'd be calling cappucinos "caps" and Caramel (yes, not Carmel) Macchiatos "CarMachs" or something equally as silly. Not such a big deal on the boards, but in person, day after day, it's one of those words that grates on you ...

Back to the real issue! :P

Assuming they're offering a full menu and using the current machines (which I REALLY hope they don't resort to the cheap Bagel Nosh-style machines they use around the resort for the "mochas"), it could create a backup, unless they were extremely efficient at calling out orders, calling the line, and prepping the drinks with a bank of machines. Prepping and making in bulk Caramel Frappucinos and Iced Vanilla Lattes wouldn't be preferable, but it'd make sense maybe in this situation.

And agreed ... no matter the location (Fantasyland Skyway chalet would be amazing), Starbucks has been ingrained in our heads as a "third place" ... where it's okay to linger for hours. Of course regular guests wouldn't do this, but AP's deffintly might, especially over a hot chai on a cold day (I know I would). Again, it'll be interesting!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I don't think they'll be Starbucks employees, I think they'll be specially trained Cast Members who don't accept tips or make that many special orders. Otherwise Disney would have to pay out bucks to cover the baristas' medical insurance.

• Yeti Enthusiast

My main concern beside any thematic issue is that Starbucks has become less about traditional coffee, and more about all of those iced coffee drinks that I've seen friends and family alike guzzle down like soft drinks. I predict people are going to get tired of seeing those plastic cups and green straws everywhere very quickly.

• Circle of Ancients

I've just had my first cup of Starbucks Via ... It's good stuff. Probably BETTER than their regular coffee (as you can regulate how strong you want it).

I may have to just get these and hot-water when I'm at the park from now on.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Wait, we are losing a Starbucks customer before the place even opens!

• Animation Domination

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Yes.

I'm in favor of this, as long as they do it right. Which I have to believe they will. Starbucks is a great corporate brand, regardless of their over-saturation.
    Well at least now I don't have to drink the cheap coffee.
    Yay! Starbucks...btw I'm a fan of Starbucks.
    "You are watching FOX"

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn Boy View Post
    My main concern beside any thematic issue is that Starbucks has become less about traditional coffee, and more about all of those iced coffee drinks that I've seen friends and family alike guzzle down like soft drinks. I predict people are going to get tired of seeing those plastic cups and green straws everywhere very quickly.
    Like any new addition, it'll be noticeable for a short bit, then just become another thing you get used to. I don't think there'd be a rise in protest anymore than a rise in protest against the red Coca-Cola logos ... and people are already guzzling soda in the park like crazy, and have been for decades. Truly, what's the big to do?

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    Well at least now I don't have to drink the cheap coffee.
    Yay! Starbucks...btw I'm a fan of Starbucks.
    I totally agree! I was skeptical but tried it on the first sample. I haven't done the hot yet, but I did the Columbia once iced, and it was VERY good!

• Future Cast Member

Do you think they'll have the seasonal coffee, like Gingerbread Latte? I hope so, it's one of my favorites, plus, it would work great if they started it in the park at the same time Holidays start. =)

• Yeti Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by WJNM View Post
    Like any new addition, it'll be noticeable for a short bit, then just become another thing you get used to. I don't think there'd be a rise in protest anymore than a rise in protest against the red Coca-Cola logos ... and people are already guzzling soda in the park like crazy, and have been for decades. Truly, what's the big to do?
    I think there's a certain "anywhere and everywhere" mentality that Starbucks markets with their iced drinks that clashes with a place that doesn't allow food and drinks anywhere and everywhere. The soda comparison is not quite fitting, as I usually don't see too many people trying to walk everywhere around the park with iced fountain sodas...most people drink from those inconspicuous plastic bottles sold at the ODV's that are easily stowed away.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I don't think they'll be Starbucks employees, I think they'll be specially trained Cast Members who don't accept tips or make that many special orders. Otherwise Disney would have to pay out bucks to cover the baristas' medical insurance.
    The way it worked in the past at least with Sunkist is that they were employees of Sunkist who were to abide by Disney's rules of guest service and so forth. These employees were paid by Sunkist and recieved their benefits from them.

In a sense Main Street was more like a mall back then than it is now, if you take into consideration the fact that Sunkist took care of most of the operational costs and paid a lease to Disney. Not unlike the relationship between a store in a mall and the mall owner.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    Does Starbucks have to be everywhere?
    Sure looks like it. Why not give it to an independent vendor who can compete? Starbucks is big enough!

At least put them in DTD. Main Street doesn't need more congestion that would likely be a result.

I vote NO...but of course it will prove lucrative for disney so I'm sure it will be there sooner or later.
    [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

Thumbs up Re: Starbucks on Main Street!

Quote Originally Posted by Joshnyah View Post
    As much as I love starbucks, I believe that they should leave anything that isint Disney outside the parks. I mean I would rather give Disneyland 8 Dollars for a Coffee instead of 6 At Starbucks. "Hmm thinks to self scratching head" Changes mind, Eh Let em in. It just better not Mess with the face of Main Street. Disney Has a Store that sells tons of Coffee Why not sell disney Brand Coffee, with a taste comparable to Starbucks? Use Donalds likeness and Call it StarDucks. I dunno it just rolled off my tounge.

i LOVE this idea!

• Hukuna Matata!

Thumbs up Re: Starbucks on Main Street!

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    As an admitted coffee addict I have concerns.

1. Most people are 'assuming' that there will not be a large Starbucks logo presence, but we do not know that for sure.

2. There is a Starbucks on almost every other corner and in every other hotel. I sense overkill here.

3. I am not willing to give up my free refills. I love being one of the first in line for my coffee in the morning and then getting a few refills during the day.

4. Any one here remember Conestoga Fries??? Remember how many of you 'hated' Mcdonald's being in the park, but now you are so willing to have Starbucks?

Bottom line if you guarantee me no 'large Starbuck's corporate presence' AND my free refills I will not complain. Otherwise prepare now for the biggest whiner on Micechat to be awarded to me, the caffeine addict.
    Well Said.

[QUOTE=Fantasmic!55;1055609734]I know this is semi of topic, but please do not give out mis-information without actually knowing the facts. A Grande Caramel Frappuccino, with whipped cream, is 380 calories. Whereas, ONE Big Mac is 540 calories. Someone else has already taken the idea that one Frappuccino is equal in calories to 3 Big Macs as truth.

Back to the actual topic, I am very much looking forward to this becoming a reality. I am pretty confident that both Disneyland and Starbucks will ensure a quality experience partnered with quality beverages.[/QUOTE]

That's left to be determined. Most Starbucks don't service QUALITY beverages anymore. Too big for their britches.

• Minion

I'm split on this one.

On one hand, I seem to remember the Market House having a checker board set up, like this was the "Floyd's Barber Shop" of this small town (so to speak) where people would gather, hang out and socialize. And it's not too hard to imagine that they might sip some sort of beverage while doing so - in this case, it's coffee. The market was also probably where people would buy their coffee beans or tea leaves, if not actual cups of coffee and tea. I could see them keeping the Market House theme on this one - instead of turning into the "Main Street Coffee Shop" - though it would be nice if they at least had a small section with old-fashioned jars of preserves or something like that.

Ideally, the Market House would be a market house, but at least they'd be selling some form of edible/drinkable products. That fits much better to me than putting art in a bank.

(BTW, what does the Market House sell right now? I must admit, I haven't been in there in a long time .)

However, I agree with those that say that Starbucks is very associated with our modern world. It's like the new version of "What's the deal with airplane food?" for comedians - everyone does a routine on how many of them there are, the terminology of the cup sizes, etc. So yeah, it would be nice if they kept the visibility of Starbucks on the DL (that's down-low, not Disneyland ).

Regarding the free refills - my mother always used to get them when I was a kid, but now, she always gets hassled. "We don't do that here. You need to go to this location." And when she goes there, they say they don't do it either. (Not blaming the CMs, I'm sure it's a policy thing). Is there somewhere special you need to go to get them?

And, regarding the use of "frap". I believe that "cap" for cappuccino never caught on because "cap" is also a word for a kind of hat. "Frap," on the other hand, is a unique word. To the best of my knowledge, it only means "frappucino". It has a certain ring to it. Also, don't people use "no caf" for "no caffine"? They do in Starbucks parodies on TV . Some things just get abbreviated, and they stick. Like in the previous sentence - I called it TV, not television .

EDIT - I went and checked on Wikipedia:

The etymology of the term is unclear. Frappuccino is a combination of frappe and cappuccino, an Italian style coffee with a topping of frothed milk. It is unclear whether frappe is taken from frappé a Greek iced coffee or from the New England term for a thick milkshake frappe (pronounced "frap"), both of which derived from the French word frappé. [1]
    So it's possible that customers are (inadvertently) using one of the root words of Frappuccino (Admittedly, I thought it was a contraction of "frozen cappuccino" )
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 10-14-2009 at 04:22 PM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 10-16-2009, 10:00 AM
  2. 10-14-2009, 05:20 PM