View Poll Results: Welcome home starbucks?

Voters
382. You may not vote on this poll
  • LOVE starbucks! Can't wait for this!

203 53.14%
  • Hate it! Just more evidence that Main St is losing it's charm!

134 35.08%
  • How bout Seatle's Best, or another option. Anything is better than whats there now!

45 11.78%
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Re: Starbucks on Main Street!

I am ok with Starbucks on M.S. or any coffie house on M.S. (but as some people posted, they have to be careful when they are puting it in.)

Angry Re: Starbucks on Main Street!

I really feel like who ever is running Disney right now is trying to kill my childhood memories. Disneyland was always a place where I could get away from all the stupid people in the world & step back in time for a while. Starbucks is such an eye-sore. It's on every damn corner of every damn street. Personally , I love Disneyland coffee. Having my coffee with Mickey Mouse on it is way more magical than some retarded mermaid. First it will be Starbucks , & then WALMART. In time, Disneyland will just be another strip mall like the one five minutes down the street. DO YOU WANT THAT ? I certainly do not. Modernize your bathrooms, But don't touch Disneyland.

• Budding Pin Trader

About 30 min. away from Disneyland, California

Exclamation Re: Starbucks on Main Street!

Quote Originally Posted by sleepingjasmine View Post
    I really feel like who ever is running Disney right now is trying to kill my childhood memories. Disneyland was always a place where I could get away from all the stupid people in the world & step back in time for a while. Starbucks is such an eye-sore. It's on every damn corner of every damn street. Personally , I love Disneyland coffee. Having my coffee with Mickey Mouse on it is way more magical than some retarded mermaid. First it will be Starbucks , & then WALMART. In time, Disneyland will just be another strip mall like the one five minutes down the street. DO YOU WANT THAT ? I certainly do not. Modernize your bathrooms, But don't touch Disneyland.
    I completely agree!
    Starbucks had NO place in Disneyland.
    If you really don't like the coffee sold at Disneyland, Just don't buy it.
    Buy your darn Starbucks before you get into the park.
    Disneyland is supposed to be it's own little world.
    I mean, Walt Disney specifically designed it so you can't really see the "real world"
    So, why ruin the whole effect by bringing in something that's already taking over the world we see everyday?
    "Wow, time flies when you're obsessively looking at pins."

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmehface View Post
    I mean, Walt Disney specifically designed it so you can't really see the "real world"
    So, why ruin the whole effect by bringing in something that's already taking over the world we see everyday?
    I still don't think this is a valid argument. Were you this upset with McDonald's in the park? Coca-Cola? If Walt didn't want any of the 'real world' in Disneyland, he wouldn't have allowed sponsorships.

• Yeti Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by astrologic View Post
    I still don't think this is a valid argument. Were you this upset with McDonald's in the park? Coca-Cola? If Walt didn't want any of the 'real world' in Disneyland, he wouldn't have allowed sponsorships.
    It's been mentioned in this thread before, but McDonald's and Coca Cola are two completely different things. One is a branded restaurant that sells its own food/product and the other is a product that's sold practically everywhere. That's a huge difference IMO.

Opening a Starbucks sets a huge precedent for the kind of sponsorship Disney allows in its parks. I personally can't wait for the new Niketown store in Tomorrowland.

And I think you'll find that many people complained about the fry carts when they first appeared in Frontierland, and also the presence of "Burger Invasion" in DCA. And what do you know, both of these examples of McDonald's in the park are now gone for good.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmehface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn Boy View Post
    It's been mentioned in this thread before, but McDonald's and Coca Cola are two completely different things. One is a branded restaurant that sells its own food/product and the other is a product that's sold practically everywhere. That's a huge difference IMO.

Opening a Starbucks sets a huge precedent for the kind of sponsorship Disney allows in its parks. I personally can't wait for the new Niketown store in Tomorrowland.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn Boy View Post
    I personally can't wait for the new Niketown store in Tomorrowland.
    There's a Niketown store coming to Tomorrowland?

Also, the point I was making earlier is no one complains about seeing Coca-Cola in the park, even though it's part of the "real world." Coke is part of our lives, yeah, but face it... Starbucks is too. And how come no one is like "OMG NESCAFE IN THE PARK"?
    Last edited by astrologic; 10-14-2009 at 06:20 PM.

• Senior Minion

^ As was predicted in the early-to mid-80's by the great gurus of marketing, the genius of Branded Lifestyle marketing is its transparency to its target demographic.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-14-2009 at 06:40 PM.

- Neil Gabler

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    ^ As was prediced in the early-to mid-80's by the great gurus of marketing, the genius of Branded Lifestyle is its transparency.
    All right... so why is everyone upset about the Starbucks logo, which probably will not be as prominent as everyone is stressing it to be? Everyone's grown up with Coke, so we pay no mind to it. But a new generation is growing up with Starbucks. It's nothing to us now.

• Senior Minion

All right... so why is everyone upset about the Starbucks logo, which probably will not be as prominent as everyone is stressing it to be? Everyone's grown up with Coke, so we pay no mind to it. But a new generation is growing up with Starbucks. It's nothing to us now.
    Coke, Sunkist, Monsanto, Ford, Carnation = institutional. Starbucks, Nike = branded lifestyle.

Disney pre-Eisner = institutional. Disney post-Eisner = branded lifestyle.

- Neil Gabler

• Yeti Enthusiast

There's a Niketown store coming to Tomorrowland?
    That was a joke. But it wouldn't surprise me if in 10-15 years Downtown Disney and certain areas of both parks will be indistinguishable. I mean, it's my right as an American to buy Nike© basketball shoes and drink Starbucks® brand coffee in a theme park! They both suit my hectic lifestyle!

Also, the point I was making earlier is no one complains about seeing Coca-Cola in the park, even though it's part of the "real world." Coke is part of our lives, yeah, but face it... Starbucks is too.
    Disneyland is part of the real world, and yes, a lot of concessions have to be made. Disney can't make everything they sell in the park. But there are limits to everything, and building stores designed only to sell someone else's product is one of those. Coke is a product, and Starbucks is a store.

And how come no one is like "OMG NESCAFE IN THE PARK"?
    Nestlé: Founded 1866. Starbucks: Founded 1971.

Putting that aside, if Starbucks involvement in the park was similar to Necafe's...providing just their coffee in a nondescript fashion with no giant logos anywhere or the trappings of your typical Starbucks chain store, you'd probably hear less complaints from the anti-'Bucks people on here. But I seriously doubt that's how it will play out if this all comes to fruition.

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

Coke, Sunkist, Monsanto, Ford, Carnation = institutional. Starbucks, Nike = branded lifestyle.

Disney pre-Eisner = institutional. Disney post-Eisner = branded lifestyle.

I feel like everyone is forgetting why they're even bringing Starbucks in.

As quoted from Al Lutz's article:
    But the truth is that the complaints about the lack of good coffee at Disneyland from average Southern Californians grow louder every year. The industrial grade Nescafe that Disneyland currently uses just isn’t cutting it anymore, and most Disneyland visitors expect a Starbucks level of service and product.
    And nowhere in the article does it say the coffee will come in Starbucks cups, nor does it say there will be "frapps" and the like. Could we give Disneyland some credit? We all may disagree with them at some point, but I don't think they'd be as ignorant as to pull a stunt like that.

the Market House on Main Street USA would be reconfigured into an old-fashioned coffee house serving up a basic menu of Starbucks espresso and coffee drinks.

• Senior Minion

^ IMO the idea that Disney and Starbucks are a good fit because "Disneyland needs better coffee" is a joke. (Yes, DL's coffee sucks, along with much of their overpriced food -- but that's not the point.)

Google "lifestyle brand" and read up on how it works vs. institutional brand advertising.

- Neil Gabler

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

^ IMO the idea that Disney and Starbucks are a good fit together because "Disneyland needs better coffee" is a joke.

Google "lifestyle brand" and read up on how it works vs. institutional brand advertising.
    Okay so then what do you propose Disney do about its complaints about the coffee?

• Seeker of Fun

I want to vomit. Nothing like losing the nostalgia of Main Street. Why not just rip Main Street apart and put in a new strip mall. Or better yet, put a giant Starbucks sign right on Main Street. I wouldn't have a problem if it was outside of the park, but Main Street?? Boo! BAD, BAD, BAD IDEA!!

(It's easy when your right about everything in life, at least that's what I tell my wife.)

Although I am right about this!

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 10-16-2009, 10:00 AM
  2. 10-14-2009, 05:20 PM