View Poll Results: Welcome home starbucks?

Voters
382. You may not vote on this poll
  • LOVE starbucks! Can't wait for this!

203 53.14%
  • Hate it! Just more evidence that Main St is losing it's charm!

134 35.08%
  • How bout Seatle's Best, or another option. Anything is better than whats there now!

45 11.78%
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Starbucks on Main Street!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    I'm sorry, but your opinion is way overkill. You limit yourself tremendously by only using companies that can be tracked down to a certain year.

They are only replacing the coffee brand. The workers that work the coffee shop are Merchandise employees and not food, so they are limited to what they can serve. I know as I used to work it. Don't expect fraps and mochas.
    Perhaps if we're talking about Main St. USA at Disneyland it's perfectly acceptable to "limit ourselves tremendously" to a certain time period.
    What do you think?

Way overkill? Hardly. If it was, you wouldn't have even those who are okay with it saying that they're okay with it as long as they keep it WAY low profile. I mean, why make it low key if you're perfectly okay with it? It should either fit with the theme of Main St., or it doesn't. Obviously there's some questions that it brings up. Maybe not for you, but for many.

Opinion? Yes. As asserted in my post.

Valid observation? Yes. Especially considering we're talking about a theme park, and Main St. is highly themed....to another time.

I spent ten years as an Attractions CM, and some of that time was spent on the Steam Trains, and driving the Main St. Vehicles up and down Main St. Main St. was special. It was unique. It had a purpose.

Will there be inevitable inconsistencies found throughout the park? Of course. Maybe even on Main St. somewhere.

But in all those trips I made up and down Main St. there was a feel that was 99%-100% authentic to the time period it was meant to represent. Nothing really stood out as out of place for me.

A hyper contemporary company like Starbucks doesn't fit the intended provincial setting of Main St. USA, IMO. And considering there are 5 of them on every city block, they're not exactly a low key, invisible company. They stand out.

Again, will the world be changed as we know it if Starbucks goes onto Main St? No.

I'm sorry, but to call a simple observation about a stand out, contemporary addition to Main St. (that doesn't fit the theme) "way overkill" isn't exactly on the mark. Again, IMO.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Anywhere a Starbucks exist, I'm a happy camper.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    A hyper contemporary company like Starbucks doesn't fit the intended provincial setting of Main St. USA, IMO. And considering there are 5 of them on every city block, they're not exactly a low key, invisible company. They stand out.

I'm sorry, but to call a simple observation about a stand out, contemporary addition to Main St. (that doesn't fit the theme) "way overkill" isn't exactly on the mark. Again, IMO.
    As far as we know, it will fit the theme, and nothing has even been mentioned yet about logos. There may be nothing but a "coffee by Starbucks" on the window.

That's my optimism though.

I don't want to think Disney would be as ignorant to try anything else. But, ya never know.

• Merry 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    According to Al's article, Starbucks will be training the Market House employees to their standards ... which when you think about it, doesn't sound quite right. Should be the other way around right? Just goes to show the dropping quality of Disney in some areas.
    I agree that Disney has, and still should, maintain excellence in staffing. But with Starbucks wanting to train staff it makes me wonder what would happen once Starbucks relinquishes that control. It would be a while, but still could happen just like the declining Disney quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by KENfromOC View Post
    Like the idea as long as it's done with good taste (pun intended!). After all, remember Sunkist and Welch's? When compared to older sponsors from years ago, the difference as I see it is that Sunkist and Welch’s were grocery store brands, not having hundreds of stand-alone store fronts, so they weren’t “in your face” as Starbucks is. But I think it will work fine.
    Sunkist and Welch's had no other connotation with their product other than just orange juice or grape juice. You thought quality and trusted product and nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by kindagoofy View Post
    A couple of points from an ex-Starbuckian: Firstly, Seattle's Best is owned by Starbucks. It was Stuart Brother's, changed its name to Seattle's Best, bought by AFC, then Starbucks bought 'em about eight years ago. Secondly, there are thousands of locations that look like they are run by Starbucks that aren't: every Target store, airport, grocery store, and most venues like sports stadiums, arenas, and convention centers are actually run by the companies that hold the service contracts. So if Starbucks believes the trained monkies that run their airport locations are qualified, then the Disney Cast Members that are friendly and customer-focused will nail this. In fact, I'd say Starbucks could learn a thing or two about customer service from Disney.
    As long as Starbucks don't mess with the Seattle's Best coffee bean roasting formula I'm cool. But sigh, another potential monopoly.

As for the "Monkies" serving drinks, maybe Starbuks isn't as concerned with staff knowledge as we think. Maybe if disney just limits the menu to brewed coffee thing will be fine. Espresso is another story. That takes some learning to get it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Bingo. Disneyland's Main Street is about nostalgia and Americana. Carnation, Sunkist, Coca Cola, Hills Brothers, Swifts, Del Monte, Kodak all associate with longstanding Americana. Starbucks associates with contemporary, trendy and mall.

Starbucks says relevant to my modern lifestyle. Which is exactly what many of the posts in this thread are expressing -- people like Starbucks in Disneyland because it's a part of their life outside the berm.

This. From Wikipedia:

A lifestyle brand is a brand that attempts to embody the values and aspirations of a group or culture for purposes of marketing.
    Each individual has an identity based on their experiences and background (e.g. ethnicity, social class, subculture, nationality, etc.). A lifestyle brand aims to sell product by convincing potential customers that this identity will be reinforced or supplemented if they publicly associate themselves with the brand.

Sources

Many lifestyle brands purposely refer to existing groups or cultures.
    A prototypical lifestyle brand is Abercrombie & Fitch. A&F has created a lifestyle based on a preppy, young Ivy League lifestyle. Their retail outlets reflect this lifestyle through their luxurious store environment, admirable store associates (models), and their black and white photographs featuring young people living the Abercrombie lifestyle. In doing so, Abercrombie & Fitch has created an outlet for those who lead, or wish to lead this lifestyle.

Success One key indication that a brand has become a lifestyle is when it successfully extends beyond its original product category. For example, Nike used to be a product-focused company focusing on making running shoes. But over time, the company and its logo has become associated with the athlete subculture.
    And Iwould be remiss, and called out, if I didn't post this from the same article:
    Dangers

Many companies have unsuccessfully attempted to turn their brands into lifestyle brands. Certain brands appear to lack the cachet or excitement to make the transition. Both McDonalds and Microsoft have attempted to become lifestyle brands in the last decade, and had marginal success at best. Starbucks has also struggled on this front, with failed or struggling attempts to expand into music, magazines, and merchandising.
    Quote Originally Posted by astrologic View Post
    As far as we know, it will fit the theme, and nothing has even been mentioned yet about logos. There may be nothing but a "coffee by Starbucks" on the window.

That's my optimism though.

I don't want to think Disney would be as ignorant to try anything else. But, ya never know.
    That's right. . . you never know.
    There is cynicism on the board to be sure but it isn't without past experiences backing it up.
    Last edited by Fantasmico!; 10-14-2009 at 10:02 PM. Reason: fixing stuff
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Embrace the kitsch!

As one of the "old guys" of the DL community, going back to the a.d.d. days, here's my take. I have a feeling this is all going to go down somewhat like the old McDonald's fry cart. (Remember that?) Back in the 90's, when the fry cart was first announced, a firestorm of criticism much like this one erupted on a.d.d. Many of the same arguments were made. The word was, a McDonald's was opening in DL, and the natives were restless.

Surprisingly, Disney listened to the concerns. When the cart opened, it was themed to a Conestoga wagon selling a "new" food product: french fries! Even those who derided it admitted the idea was clever. Clever or not, however, the attempt at postmodern humor further underscored the fact that it was still a degree of decline and a serious breach of theme.

Over time, people accepted the fry cart and when it was finally torn down a decade later, some people (yea, even unto this board) said they missed the McDonald's fry cart.

Like the fry cart, there will probably be a half-arse attempt to justify Starbucks' presence. Like I said in the Main Street Bank Art Gallery thread, you can always find a way to weasel it in. ("On the border between Main Street and Tomorrowland, a time warp occurs." There, now they can't use that one.) Give it a few years and people won't even remember a time when there wasn't a Starbucks on MS.

Will it be a decline of degrees? Yes. Will we kvetch about it? Yes. Will the AP's still renew when the time comes? Yes.

Don't get me wrong; I don't like the idea. I agree w/ Wiggins when he says this is a grab at a branded lifestyle demographic. I've just realized we can't fight it anymore. After the fry cart, the gallery, and G-d knows how many other offenses, it's plain to see DL has no more respect for theme than Cedar Fair's Knott's.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Defender of the castle

No more NESCAFE Bring on the Daddy Warbucks. Hey maybe they will bring back the Bandito frito guy to Zocolo

• Relapsed

This is easy for me to say because I don't drink them, but I wish everyone drank less coffee and energy drinks and would just calm down a bit.

I think people are already too worked up when they're at Disneyland without having coffee they want to drink a lot of. For this reason I want the bad coffee everyone complains about to stay.

I also don't think the modern brand works with the theme of Main Street but mostly I'd prefer less people bickering at each other about Fantasmic and Fireworks viewing places.
    Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers - can you see how incredible this is going to be? - hang gliding, come on!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    Don't get me wrong; I don't like the idea. I agree w/ Wiggins when he says this is a grab at a branded lifestyle demographic. I've just realized we can't fight it anymore. After the fry cart, the gallery, and G-d knows how many other offenses, it's plain to see DL has no more respect for theme than Cedar Fair's Knott's.

Haha not yet anyway. Let's just be glad they didn't put a Panda Express on the Pacific Wharf.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

I'm surprised. I always thought that if they put in a Starbucks, it would be in DTD, not in the park itself.
    But hey, i'm not going to complain! I like this idea!
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Closed Account

I agree that this does NOT belong. It absoloutly has NO business on Main Street. I love, however, that everyone is throwing around the "But DL ALWAYS had sponsers!" meme. Guess what kids, those companies "fit". Kodak, Carnation, Sunkist, Nescafe, Coca Cola, ALL formed in the 1880s or 1890s. This is why they fit into the theme of Main Street. They were a brand of familarity and an institution by then. Starbucks is ultra modern and no amount of costuming or theming by Kim Irvine is going to hide that.

• Disney Princess

This whole idea is so completely unnecassary. We've gone HOW MANY YEARS without Starbucks on Main Street? (Or anywhere else in the park, for that matter!) I think we'll be ok with the coffee shops already available in The Land.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Coke, Sunkist, Monsanto, Ford, Carnation = institutional. Starbucks, Nike = branded lifestyle.

Disney pre-Eisner = institutional. Disney post-Eisner = branded lifestyle.

Give me a break. Advertising in the 50s verged on brainwashing. Those shows you watched were branded by one product.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KittyPrincess1206 View Post
    We've gone HOW MANY YEARS without Starbucks on Main Street? (Or anywhere else in the park, for that matter!)
    We've gone Too Too long.

The coffee is gross at Disneyland.
    Last edited by CaliforniaAdventurer; 10-15-2009 at 09:23 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Haha not yet anyway. Let's just be glad they didn't put a Panda Express on the Pacific Wharf.
    Panda Express has a bigger menu and better food than Lucky Fortune.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    As one of the "old guys" of the DL community, going back to the a.d.d. days, here's my take. I have a feeling this is all going to go down somewhat like the old McDonald's fry cart. (Remember that?) Back in the 90's, when the fry cart was first announced, a firestorm of criticism much like this one erupted on a.d.d. Many of the same arguments were made. The word was, a McDonald's was opening in DL, and the natives were restless.

Surprisingly, Disney listened to the concerns. When the cart opened, it was themed to a Conestoga wagon selling a "new" food product: french fries! Even those who derided it admitted the idea was clever. Clever or not, however, the attempt at postmodern humor further underscored the fact that it was still a degree of decline and a serious breach of theme.

Over time, people accepted the fry cart and when it was finally torn down a decade later, some people (yea, even unto this board) said they missed the McDonald's fry cart.

Like the fry cart, there will probably be a half-arse attempt to justify Starbucks' presence. Like I said in the Main Street Bank Art Gallery thread, you can always find a way to weasel it in. ("On the border between Main Street and Tomorrowland, a time warp occurs." There, now they can't use that one.) Give it a few years and people won't even remember a time when there wasn't a Starbucks on MS.

Will it be a decline of degrees? Yes. Will we kvetch about it? Yes. Will the AP's still renew when the time comes? Yes.

The McFry cart was disgusting. The bank/art gallery clearly demonstrates modern 'reuse' designs for buildings.

But changing Nescafe to Starbucks brand coffee at the coffee shop is an improvement! It's not going to look like Starbucks. It's just going to taste like it.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 10-16-2009, 10:00 AM
  2. 10-14-2009, 05:20 PM