View Poll Results: Welcome home starbucks?

Voters
382. You may not vote on this poll
  • LOVE starbucks! Can't wait for this!

203 53.14%
  • Hate it! Just more evidence that Main St is losing it's charm!

134 35.08%
  • How bout Seatle's Best, or another option. Anything is better than whats there now!

45 11.78%
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8151617181920 LastLast

• Yeti Enthusiast

Re: Starbucks on Main Street!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    Are you serious? Because the company wasn't around 80-90 years ago doesn't make it appropriate for Disney to have that product available to guest on Main Street? Just because a company has been around for that long does not mean its the better one in the business. Plus if we went by that rule, I don't think we would see A LOT of things on Main Street that we do now.
    Yeah, I am serious. If you look at the history of the original sponsors, specifically on Main Street, they've all been brands that were around at the turn of the century. Do you think that's just a coincidence?

I don't think Main Street needs to be a completely accurate period representation of an American Main Street, but it seems like keeping some sort of connection to the period and not introducing modern trendy brands like Starbucks isn't asking for a whole lot.
    Last edited by Matterhorn Boy; 10-17-2009 at 10:19 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn Boy View Post
    Yeah, I am serious. If you look at the history of the original sponsors, specifically on Main Street, they've all been brands that were around at the turn of the century. Do you think that's just a coincidence?

I don't think Main Street needs to be a completely accurate period representation of an American Main Street, but it seems like keeping some sort of connection to the period and not introducing modern trendy brands like Starbucks isn't asking for a whole lot.
    Sorry, but I just don't see how the selection of coffee beans Disney is going to use is suddenly going to change the thematic and period connection of Main Street.
    Jeff Wayne

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Would totally agree with you if they decide to make any reference to the Starbucks brand. Most likely that will not be the case though.

• HauntedOne999

Due to the state of the economy and how so many old businesses have closed or been bought out... trying to keep all the sponsors of Main Street "turn of the century" is next near to impossible. Since Starbucks is an american business and it started with a small idea that went global (just ike Disneyland) it makes perfect sense to bring them into the parks. Also since it is a global entity and there are Disney parks around the world it makes it easy to incorporate it into all the parks.

Granted I would like to see "classic" sponsors in the park but there just arent many left in the country that could translate to all the parks.... the only one i can think of is Campbell's - although they would be a nice sponsor for a bistro.

Trivia: The gold seal on the Campbell's soup cans is from an award they won at the 1900 exposition in Paris for their idea of condensed soup.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Barnes & Noble... Universal Citywalk... Starbucks...

Sounds more like Mall Street, U.S.A. all the time.

Question: Were Bekins van lines around at the turn of the 20th Century?

So you'd be opposed to B&N selling BOOKS on Main Street? Something people don't buy anymore now that the internet has made them increasingly obsolete.

Bonus Question: Can anyone tell me where can you plug in these BOOKS you speak of, or how long do they hold a charge?

• Banned User

You know, last time I was in WDW, I would have KILLED for a Starbucks coffee. There is a nice little coffeehouse in DHS, near that eyesore of a Muppet studios, and it's got nice pastries and a great staff and comfortable places to sit (nothing to sneeze at in WDW) but the WORST coffee I have ever tasted. Not even the little whipped cream Mickey face on top of my latte helped. So I'm glad Starbucks is going to be in DL; hopefully it'll migrate to WDW as well - as LONG as its building is themed properly; that nekkid mermaid will HAVE to go (doesn't mesh well with Ariel ).

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Question: Were Bekins van lines around at the turn of the 20th Century?
    Bekins Van Lines was founded in 1891.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    So you'd be opposed to B&N selling BOOKS on Main Street?
    I'd be opposed to Barnes & Noble selling anything on Main Street.

The Main Street Book Store was sponsored by Western Publishing, which was founded in 1907.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

personally, I don't care. I don't drink coffee, and bring my own Tea-bags and travel mug with me.

But, I think it would lend itself to some interesting cross merchandising. Starbucks tends to have specialized mugs for each of it's locations. and a DL one could be cool. And maybe beanies or pins of the core characters as baristas.

(and I don't know if it was mentioned, as I didn't go through all the posts: but on the poll, option 3 is "How bout Seatle's Best, or another option. Anything is better than whats there now!".... not sure if you knew it or not, but Starbucks owns Seattle's Best)

• Disney Dream 10/23!!

I'm just going to miss my cinnamon tea latte. Those are the freaking best, and they're cheap too.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

The Main Street Book Store was sponsored by Western Publishing, which was founded in 1907.

Honestly, I understand where you're coming from on this Mr. Wiggins, the more historically accurate the products and stores are, the more coherent Main Streets theme becomes. Although in this situation I think an exception is in order because coffee has been around so long and cannot be associated with Starbucks alone. You can theme around a cup of coffee any way you want and that includes the theme of Main Street USA. In this case quality is more important than historical accuracy, something so minor that it will go unnoticed. The Disney Gallery, that's another story.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 10-18-2009 at 09:40 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Here's something to consider.

If all these companies were brand spanking new for the time period represented, wouldn't the very concept of Main Street on opening day really have represented a turn of the century strip mall? Because the livery and printing office and land sales office and grocery were already displaced by Coca Cola, Bekins Van Lines and all these new fangled entities that became midcentury corporate beheamoths.

Quote Originally Posted by keith1phx View Post
    All I can say is Thank The Maker for even considering the removal of the swill currently being served.
    However, here is a thought to ponder:
    I am sure Disney is after the sponsorship dollars but if they wanted to they could run it themselves and make even more.
    They have a perfectly good Probat Roaster over in DCA that they only pretend to use. That thing will turn out enough coffee to supply an entire town of coffee shops and households.
    Green coffee beans, good ones, only cost $3.00 to $6.00 a pound for Arabica beans not to mention any robusta they may want to blend with it.
    It could be a very lucrative venture for them, they would just need to hire someone who knows something about roasting coffee. They could have several different roasts from a lighter City to a Full City to my favorite Espresso (way past second crack).
    But, as I said, they are probably really after the sponsorship dollars.

Just a thought
    I like the way you think... I often wondered what exactly they were doing with that Probat over in DCA. And I know a few good roasters here in SoCal with exceptional pedigrees. They just need to find a buyer who has a great knowledge of what is available to them, and if they're willing to fork over the dough for quality green beans, then more power to them.

I, alas, don't see that happening. But I like the way you think.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I've only waded through about half of this thread, so if this has already been brought up, sue me.

There used to be a place called the "Hills Brothers Coffee House" in the Town Square. Later, there was the American Egg House - both with large corporate logos, larger I assume than the one Starbucks would use.

And we all lived.

The current so-called coffee sold at the resort is nothing short of awful. Recycled grease from the trams or whatever would taste better.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

The theming will be very important to my final decision regarding this. While Starbucks is so-so coffee, it may be better than what is available now. Being a teacher I get bombarded by starbucks gift cards around the holidays and would probably be more pro "starbucks in the parks" if I am able to use the gift cards.

• Banned User

OK, off the top of my head:
    Hollywood Maxwell's Intimate Apperal
    Timex (the watch company didn't even use that name until the 1950s)
    Bank of America, comes out of the stock market crash of 1929 or 1930.

I'm sure there's more.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 10-16-2009, 10:00 AM
  2. 10-14-2009, 05:20 PM