View Poll Results: Welcome home starbucks?

Voters
382. You may not vote on this poll
  • LOVE starbucks! Can't wait for this!

203 53.14%
  • Hate it! Just more evidence that Main St is losing it's charm!

134 35.08%
  • How bout Seatle's Best, or another option. Anything is better than whats there now!

45 11.78%
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Re: Starbucks on Main Street!

Would this mean the end of free coffee refills at Market House? Will the price of coffee go up?

I don't know why people are complaining about a corporate sponsorship. If you have an opinion about coffee from Starbucks, that's one thing. However, Disneyland exclusively serves Dreyer's ice cream, Coca-Cola soft drinks, Boudin sourdough bread and Mission tortillas. How in the world is Starbucks any different?

• Parmageddon Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Joshnyah View Post
    In Disneyland, the Sunkist Citrus House survived on Main Street until 1990, when the Blue Ribbon Bakery replaced it.

It got replaced with the blue ribbon Bakery. That was easy
    Actually, The Blue Ribbon Bakery replaced the Carnation Ice Cream Parlor, which moved next door to become the Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor, which replaced the Sunkist Citrus House.

Sunkist, I Presume, in Adventureland, became the Bengal BBQ.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

As long as the theme of Main Street USA is still intact and continuing, then I don't mind Starbucks at all. I'll probably get sick of Starbucks cups everywhere though.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    For me Starbucks is hugely contemporary, and selling it on turn of the century Main St. USA doesn't work for me at all.

I can't speak for all of the companies/brands mentioned, but Sunkist, Carnation, and Coke can all be tracked back to either the turn of the century, or darned close.

Starbucks is like, what, the 1970s?

I know corporate sponsorships have been a part of the fabric of Disneyland since the beginning, but for me Starbucks on Main St. USA doesn't cut it. It totally breaks the flow of the provincial theme of the area. Main St. is special.

Certainly I understand that if you look close enough, anywhere in the park, you'll find inconsistency.

But nothing as blatant as Starbucks on Main St. It just doesn't feel right.

Put it in Tomorrowland if you have to, but not on something that is so quaint and historical as Main St.

My opinion.

I think that's a valid observation, but would get more and more difficult to with hold as time goes on. It WOULD be great if all the companies that sponsored Main Street were around in 1900 but the question would be: where does it stop?

I think if they made Starbucks look as if it was from the time period, that's good enough for me.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Ive been waiting for something like this for years. Unfortunately they are going with the bux... there are other vendors out there who provide a better quality product at a comparable price.

If I had it my way, we would see a Peet's Coffee & Tea in there

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Side note: As a former Starbucks employee, PLEASE quit calling them "fraps" haha :P

Okay:

This news makes me incredibly happy. My only lament about visiting the park is the lack of a decent latte or iced Americano to get me through the day! We are dealing with a park here that has a long history of corporate sponsorships, so while I'm sure the logo WILL be displayed (did you guys have a fit with Coca-Cola and Kodak logos?), I'm sure it'll be done tastefully.

I am a bit surprised that the response to this is generally welcoming ... I find it interesting that a Starbucks on Main Street has been met with far less criticism than a gallery in a bank. :P

My biggest concern, though, is that these locations will be PACKED. While Starbucks-brand coffee will be served throughout the park, I would be a bit concerned about the efficiency of a singular espresso-based coffeehouse (assuming they were to offer the full menu at Market House). It'll be interesting to see how this is handled.

• Ravenclaw

Meh. Starbucks is not an upgrade from the Nescafe. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• Minion

Starbucks' coffee prices already seem a bit high to me in the real world...adjusted for the captive audience of Disneyland, a cup of joe will probably cost as much as an annual pass .

BTW, does anyone else think NEScafe sounds like a place people would go to drink coffee and play old 8-bit Nintendo games?
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Merry 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Hear, Hear!!! I've actually had 1/2 way decent cups of coffee at Disneyland, and then other times not so much. Starbucks is VERY good about quality control and if there is ANYTHING wrong with your drink, they will remake it for you.
    It seems that if it is a sponsorship then Disney would be managing things. Same as now, depending on the person, time of day, tiredness, etc., the coffee may have the same quality problems. Does Disney replace your unsatisfactory drink now? Yes or no, I doubt that would change just because Starbucks was the house coffee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Code90 View Post
    Would this mean the end of free coffee refills at Market House? Will the price of coffee go up?
    Disney currently charges over $3.00 for a below average cup of coffee. I'd say odds are good the prices would rise since it is generally agreed Starbucks is a superior brand. (I think the coffee stinks and that the masses have been brainwashed by marketing and convenience but I digress )
    Quote Originally Posted by WJNM View Post
    Side note: As a former Starbucks employee, PLEASE quit calling them "fraps" haha :P

Okay:

My biggest concern, though, is that these locations will be PACKED. While Starbucks-brand coffee will be served throughout the park, I would be a bit concerned about the efficiency of a singular espresso-based coffeehouse (assuming they were to offer the full menu at Market House). It'll be interesting to see how this is handled.
    People call them fraps because no one can spell Frappaccinos, Frapaccinos, Frapachinos. . . Fraps.

I so agree on the increase in line waits. Someone on another thread complained about a recent 15 minute wait. Market House doesn't move fast and with a better cup of coffee calling people's names it could get ugly. Perhaps management would have coffee kiosks or something set up along mainstreet, to better accommodate the morning rush, for the overflow.
    Someone also mentioned turning the skyway into a coffee house with a view. That would be awesome. It might also become a favorite hang out with people lingering for hours creating what could be a problem. Great place. . . I want to get in. . . I can't because turnover is slow. . . frustration. . . okay, that's just me.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

If Starbucks owns and operates the Main Street location then I am not too worried about good quality and service being delivered. If on the other hand Disney runs the location using Starbucks recipes then there is bound to be problems, especially with the less than stellar way that Disney runs it foods operartion in general. I hope that Kilogridis (or whatever his name is) decides that foods needs to be overhauled and then this wouldn't make a difference. But until then I can only hope that Starbucks rubs this operation instead of Disney.

And I am not a fan of Starbucks. I prefer The Coffee Bean but it doesn't really matter. Heck, cracking open a can of Folgers is an improvement to what they are currently serving.

Sponsor names have been all over the park since opening day or close to it, so having Starbucks served at a coffeehouse on mainstreet seems fine to me just as long as I don't have to see starbucks cups and those green straws all over the place.

• Brand new CM!

Quote Originally Posted by zeitzeuge View Post
    Sponsor names have been all over the park since opening day or close to it, so having Starbucks served at a coffeehouse on mainstreet seems fine to me just as long as I don't have to see starbucks cups and those green straws all over the place.
    My thoughts exactly!
    I Donald Duck!

I've never been to Disneyland in Anaheim, just to DLRP and WDW.

Does Disneyland also use Nescafe products like DLRP does?

Although the Nescafe coffee isn't too bad, I prefer Starbucks coffee or any other coffee chain.
    I'm very happy that DLRP got a Starbucks in Disney Village, so now we don't have to drink Nescafe all the time and can enjoy a "real" coffee.

During my time in the US I became a fan of Starbucks, so I vote for Starbucks and hopefully it is still there in 2011 when we are visiting Disneyland.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    Starbucks' coffee prices already seem a bit high to me in the real world...adjusted for the captive audience of Disneyland, a cup of joe will probably cost as much as an annual pass .
    All I know is I paid $3 last Friday for a nasty Nescafe', and $1.85 for a yummy Starbucks yesterday. The "drip" coffee probably won't be much more than it is now.

My other concern about the market house is the merchandise. They need to have one area for coffee only, and one for merchandise. I can't imagine the lines in there if people are getting their merchandise and coffee from the same place, mainly food service.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico! View Post
    It seems that if it is a sponsorship then Disney would be managing things. Same as now, depending on the person, time of day, tiredness, etc., the coffee may have the same quality problems. Does Disney replace your unsatisfactory drink now? Yes or no, I doubt that would change just because Starbucks was the house coffee.
    According to Al's article, Starbucks will be training the Market House employees to their standards ... which when you think about it, doesn't sound quite right. Should be the other way around right? Just goes to show the dropping quality of Disney in some areas.

I have mixed feelings on this, but the third poll option summarizes it perfectly. I'm certainly not a Starbucks fan, but I love Seattle's Best. In fact, when I read Al's article I took a quick informal poll of those around me and we agreed Seattle's Best would be a really nice option. In fact, I'd spend a lot of money on coffee at Disneyland (at least a cup a trip) if they went that route. I definitely do appreciate moving to Starbucks as a better alternative to Nescafe, but it just seems a little too mainstream, like McDonalds. In general, I have no problem with operating participants (sponsors) running different locations in the park. Walt was all for it, and very often they can do their specialty better than Disney can. I just prefer that the operating participants be a little out of the ordinary and of the highest quality. Seattle's Best fits that description much better. Still, I'm encouraged when Al indicates the locations will have an actual theme and not just look like normal Starbucks locations.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 10-16-2009, 10:00 AM
  2. 10-14-2009, 05:20 PM