View Poll Results: Welcome home starbucks?

Voters
382. You may not vote on this poll
  • LOVE starbucks! Can't wait for this!

203 53.14%
  • Hate it! Just more evidence that Main St is losing it's charm!

134 35.08%
  • How bout Seatle's Best, or another option. Anything is better than whats there now!

45 11.78%
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

• Future Indy Castmember

Re: Starbucks on Main Street!

As long as another coffee brand replaces Nestle and it doesn't dstroy the theme then I'm fine with it. I tried the coffee in there now, and it was pretty bad. I'll try starbuck's coffee first before I have second thoughts on Starbucks at Disneyland.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Hear, Hear!!! I've actually had 1/2 way decent cups of coffee at Disneyland, and then other times not so much. Starbucks is VERY good about quality control and if there is ANYTHING wrong with your drink, they will remake it for you.
    Starbucks quality control is so thorough... Some 10 years back I was sent to the local Starbucks with a list of what my parents wanted (never been a coffee drinker myself). But they didn't write down the proper name of the drink, so before the lady put in the order she took the list and corrected it. It's seriously like its own language.

So, my parents should like it if they ever get over to the parks... I'm hoping the store stays period. I wonder if the more upscale Nespresso store model was ever considered- there's one on Madison Ave. in NY. And Coffee Bean makes better hot chocolate hands down, although it seems to be limited to just the West Coast and Israel.

Like the idea as long as it's done with good taste (pun intended!). After all, remember Sunkist and Welch's? When compared to older sponsors from years ago, the difference as I see it is that Sunkist and Welch’s were grocery store brands, not having hundreds of stand-alone store fronts, so they weren’t “in your face” as Starbucks is. But I think it will work fine.

• Dreams do come true

I'm in favor, plus I loved when I was recently in Universal Orlanda and in the City section near Jaws there was a starbucks. we had a great time sipping our coffee and people watching.

• Keeping Disney Solvent

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cutlass View Post
    I'm certainly not a Starbucks fan, but I love Seattle's Best. In fact, when I read Al's article I took a quick informal poll of those around me and we agreed Seattle's Best would be a really nice option.
    A couple of points from an ex-Starbuckian: Firstly, Seattle's Best is owned by Starbucks. It was Stuart Brother's, changed its name to Seattle's Best, bought by AFC, then Starbucks bought 'em about eight years ago. Secondly, there are thousands of locations that look like they are run by Starbucks that aren't: every Target store, airport, grocery store, and most venues like sports stadiums, arenas, and convention centers are actually run by the companies that hold the service contracts. So if Starbucks believes the trained monkies that run their airport locations are qualified, then the Disney Cast Members that are friendly and customer-focused will nail this. In fact, I'd say Starbucks could learn a thing or two about customer service from Disney.

• Just Engaged!

I think Starbucks in the parks would be fantastic, as long as it is done tastefully, no giant green logo on the facade. I usually stop at the Ball/Harbor Starbucks before going to the park, and having a pumpkin spice latte on Main St makes my day!

• Disney Princess

This is a terrible idea. I worked at a Starbucks for three years, and know that the SB company won't allow just a tiny "sponser" sign in the corner, the name will be plastered everywhere. Personally, I think it's a rather disgusting thought to have someone walking around Disneyland with a caramel frappucino. And, I know that the Blue Ribbon Bakery sells seasonal flavored lattes. There is no argument, in my opinion.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    For me Starbucks is hugely contemporary, and selling it on turn of the century Main St. USA doesn't work for me at all.

I can't speak for all of the companies/brands mentioned, but Sunkist, Carnation, and Coke can all be tracked back to either the turn of the century, or darned close.

Starbucks is like, what, the 1970s?

I know corporate sponsorships have been a part of the fabric of Disneyland since the beginning, but for me Starbucks on Main St. USA doesn't cut it. It totally breaks the flow of the provincial theme of the area. Main St. is special.

Certainly I understand that if you look close enough, anywhere in the park, you'll find inconsistency.

But nothing as blatant as Starbucks on Main St. It just doesn't feel right.

Put it in Tomorrowland if you have to, but not on something that is so quaint and historical as Main St.

My opinion.
    Bingo. Disneyland's Main Street is about nostalgia and Americana. Carnation, Sunkist, Coca Cola, Hills Brothers, Swifts, Del Monte, Kodak all associate with longstanding Americana. Starbucks associates with contemporary, trendy and mall.

Thematically, the concept of Starbucks on Main Street, U.S.A. is typical post-Pressler thinking -- the same TDA "make it relevant to our guests" attitude that brought us McDonald's in Frontierland, forget how it conflicts with the theme of the land.

Starbucks says relevant to my modern lifestyle. Which is exactly what many of the posts in this thread are expressing -- people like Starbucks in Disneyland because it's a part of their life outside the berm.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-14-2009 at 09:12 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    My other concern about the market house is the merchandise. They need to have one area for coffee only, and one for merchandise. I can't imagine the lines in there if people are getting their merchandise and coffee from the same place, mainly food service.
    That brings to mind our next question... What if it's a huge success? Will they have a rope line extending down to City Hall? Or will they require another Starbucks to open directly accross Main Street from the other one?

• A Little Rabid

Quote Originally Posted by Kiba View Post
    And Coffee Bean makes better hot chocolate hands down, although it seems to be limited to just the West Coast and Israel.
    Have you tried their winter dream tea lattes during the winter? Divine! Better than anything Starbucks offers around the holidays!
    I lurk.

As long as they keep it out of the Bakery I'll be happy. (as well as many other customers) All we need is for that place to get even MORE filled up at certain times of the day.

But in all honesty, the park is doing pretty well with the coffee and hot chocolates it has now, why the heck do they need to mess with something that's fine?
    If they DO manage to put Starbucks in and keep the original coffee that's in Disney today it'll be a match made in heaven. Put in Starbucks, get rid of the other, and you might as well close the park early because there won't be any decent drinks to keep kids warm at night. XP
    That's my two cents.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Which is exactly what many of the posts in this thread are expressing -- people like Starbucks in Disneyland because it's a part of their life outside the berm.

You're that guy who told me to turn off my cell phone on Main Street because I was "ruining the theme of your day", aren't you?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    That brings to mind our next question... What if it's a huge success? Will they have a rope line extending down to City Hall? Or will they require another Starbucks to open directly accross Main Street from the other one?
    They had two Citrus Houses back in the day, albeit not both on Main Street. But in light of that I don't see any problem with a Starbucks on Main Street and anotherone near the Bengal BBQ or somewhere else.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KittyPrincess1206 View Post
    This is a terrible idea. I worked at a Starbucks for three years, and know that the SB company won't allow just a tiny "sponser" sign in the corner, the name will be plastered everywhere. Personally, I think it's a rather disgusting thought to have someone walking around Disneyland with a caramel frappucino. And, I know that the Blue Ribbon Bakery sells seasonal flavored lattes. There is no argument, in my opinion.
    15th Ave Coffee & Tea

This bears repeating. Take a look at this site. See any Starbuck's logos or decor that you recognize? Why not, the store is wholly owned by the Starbuck's corporation! Because, they're trying something different, like they'll be doing by sponsoring the Coffee House on Main Street.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    They had two Citrus Houses back in the day, albeit not both on Main Street. But in light of that I don't see any problem with a Starbucks on Main Street and anotherone near the Bengal BBQ or somewhere else.
    Maybe they'll let them operate the Mint Julep Bar.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 10-16-2009, 10:00 AM
  2. 10-14-2009, 05:20 PM