View Poll Results: Welcome home starbucks?

Voters
382. You may not vote on this poll
  • LOVE starbucks! Can't wait for this!

203 53.14%
  • Hate it! Just more evidence that Main St is losing it's charm!

134 35.08%
  • How bout Seatle's Best, or another option. Anything is better than whats there now!

45 11.78%
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Re: Starbucks on Main Street!

As an admitted coffee addict I have concerns.

1. Most people are 'assuming' that there will not be a large Starbucks logo presence, but we do not know that for sure.

2. There is a Starbucks on almost every other corner and in every other hotel. I sense overkill here.

3. I am not willing to give up my free refills. I love being one of the first in line for my coffee in the morning and then getting a few refills during the day.

4. Any one here remember Conestoga Fries??? Remember how many of you 'hated' Mcdonald's being in the park, but now you are so willing to have Starbucks?

Bottom line if you guarantee me no 'large Starbuck's corporate presence' AND my free refills I will not complain. Otherwise prepare now for the biggest whiner on Micechat to be awarded to me, the caffeine addict.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    You're that guy who told me to turn off my cell phone on Main Street because I was "ruining the theme of your day", aren't you?
    Nah. I'm the guy with the friends in small mountain towns in California, Colorado and New Mexico that don't have cell phone service or Starbucks -- where in the last 10 years more and more people have been moving in from the cities to escape the modern vibe and raise their kids in a safer environment. Of course, the first thing they complain about after moving in are the lack of modern conveniences like cell phone service and Starbucks.

People who come to Disneyland and can't wait to queue up for their Starbucks while yacking on their cell phones -- that's real Disney magic! No wonder every other word from Rasulo's mouth is "relevance." He knows exactly what his audience wants: cheap admission, turkey leg carts, and all the nostalgia of their local mall.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I'll cop to not having read every post in this thread, so I apologize if this came up already, but wouldn't it be sorta cheeky if the cups from a Main Street Starbucks featured a modestly-sized Starbucks circle logo with mouse ears?

If they do go too overboard with plans for too-overt signage, I think we can count on Lasseter to step in and mediate.

I agree with the ideas expressed about Coca-Cola and Hills Bros et al being "old" brands that fit in with the thematic conceit of Main Street, but the pool of historically-plausible brands with which to partner is shrinking all the time.

It's a theme park that never had aspirations of rigorous historical accuracy. Do we really believe that the knob-and tube wiring in some Main Street shops is functional?

I'll be glad to be able to get a decent cup of coffee inside the berm. Al nailed it when he called Nescafe "industrial-grade." Hopefully this deal will include the WDW parks, too. I jones very hard for a good cup of coffee at WDW.

I will agree with the majority here,if Starbucks and Disney can construct a Main Street theme shop,I say go for it,but didn't Disney had a deal with Yuban many years ago and wasn't on Main Street as well?

• Circle of Ancients

That brings to mind our next question... What if it's a huge success? Will they have a rope line extending down to City Hall? Or will they require another Starbucks to open directly accross Main Street from the other one?

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    Otherwise prepare now for the biggest whiner on Micechat to be awarded to me, the caffeine addict.
    Honey, you got that award a LONG time ago.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Nah. I'm the guy with the friends in small mountain towns in California, Colorado and New Mexico that don't have cell phone service or Starbucks -- where in the last 10 years more and more people have been moving in from the cities to escape the modern vibe and raise their kids in a safer environment. Of course, the first thing they complain about after moving in are the lack of modern conveniences like cell phone service and Starbucks.

People who come to Disneyland and can't wait to queue up for their Starbucks while yacking on their cell phones -- that's real Disney magic! No wonder every other word from Rasulo's mouth is "relevance." He knows exactly what his audience wants: cheap admission, turkey leg carts, and all the nostalgia of their local mall.

But.......... How are you supposed to locate your other AP friends without a cell phone?

Oh and, by the way, having grown up on a ranch in the woods, I spend almost all of my vacation time in remote areas without cell phone service, preferably sleeping in a tent with a campfire.

• Senior Minion

Oh and, by the way, having grown up on a ranch in the woods, I spend almost all of my vacation time in remote areas without cell phone service, preferably sleeping in a tent with a campfire.
    When you grew up was ancient history. This is the age of Branded Lifestyle.

- Neil Gabler

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Still, you can't expect guests not to sip a latte or use their cell phones on Main Street. You can't expect guests to USE the themed lands the way they would be used in real life a hundred years ago. You don't go to Main Street to pick up a dozen eggs.

• Senior Minion

Still, you can't expect guests not to sip a latte or use their cell phones on Main Street. You can't expect guests to USE the themed lands the way they would be used in real life a hundred years ago. You don't go to Main Street to pick up a dozen eggs.
    Of course not. Nor (as I suspect you well understand) is that remotely my argument against the concept of Starbucks having a Starbucks on Main Street.

- Neil Gabler

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

OK Then by extension, you can't expect the Coffee House that already serves lattes to be destroyed by changing the coffee brand to Starbucks or adding a few menu items.

I highly doubt that Starbucks CDs or mugs or merchandise will be available or that there will be any mermaid logo, green apron or typical Starbucks kitsch.

It will be the Market House Coffee (inspired by Starbucks) just like the 15th Street Coffee and Tea, which I've been to, and looks like an indepently run coffeehouse. You would never know it was owned by Starbucks. And it isn't even in Disneyland.

So the idea that all their locations have to look like Starbucks is simply not true.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

It will be the Market House Coffee (inspired by Starbucks) just like the 15th Street Coffee and Tea, which I've been to, and looks like an indepently run coffeehouse. You would never know it was owned by Starbucks. And it isn't even in Disneyland.
    Is this an assumption on your part or do you know something factual? I have found when it comes to the Disney Corporation never to assume what they might do.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I just know it's unfathomable that Starbucks would WANT a typical Starbucks store on Main Street. They are trying to differentiate their stores, closing some that are dupicitous. I know Disney wouldn't remove the Main Street theme. So there's not too much to worry about. But that's just my opinion.

• The line's too long...

Has anybody ever considered Pepsi cola at Disneyland?

J/K
    Forget Pepsi and Coke, stock the parks with Virgil's cola, cream soda and root beer (and they're microbrewed right in SoCal to boot).

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by engine5972 View Post
    If they do go too overboard with plans for too-overt signage, I think we can count on Lasseter to step in and mediate.

When has Lasseter done that when it comes to theme? I don't believe he has.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

The Coffee Bean is far Superior than Starbucks. I guess that they want the name recognition vs. the quality.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 10-16-2009, 10:00 AM
  2. 10-14-2009, 05:20 PM