Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Cool Should the Disney hotels give away WOC viewing passes to their guests?

It seems to me if you booked a room at a Disney hotel for a vacation to DLR for the specific purpose of seeing the new World of Color show, you should be entitled to at least one viewing of the show before you return home. I don't think Disneyland should be a playground for the rich but I do think priority should be made for the people who are investing the most in their Disney vacation. APers can view from the back of the pier until crowds settle down.

• time to go

Re: Should the Disney hotels give away WOC viewing passes to their guests?

I think it's a good idea, and stated so in another thread this morning:

http://micechat.com/forums/al-lutz-c...arbucks-3.html

"Given the outrageously large number of APs now, TDA needs to think of a more equitable solution to this problem with regard to hotel guests. Even though many AP holders would disagree with me, the folks booked into Disney hotels on vacation packages should be given first priority for the show passes, making at least one show available for everyone during their stay. These "VIP" show passes could be given out at the hotel desk during check-in, with the day and time to be decided at that time."

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I missed that post, but agree wholeheartedly.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Yes, this seems fair to people who dont have two hundred dollars to spend.

• time to go

No problem. I'm glad others are thinking about this and posting. Hopefully, this idea will also blossom in TDA, where it can be made a reality.

Giving DLR hotel guests at least one show pass for WoC upon check-in would be a great selling point for the vacation packages. I typically stay off property when I visit the parks, but this one perk would definitely entice me to stay on property for a change. I wouldn't have to camp out hours before the show, nor stand in line at the main entrance hours before opening in order to guarantee a show pass from the old Tough to be a Bug FP machines.

I'm also hoping that dinner packages will be offered with WoC show passes as well. Napa, Storyteller's, just about any table service restaurant in DCA and GCH would be great, with different price points depending upon the restaurant. Everyone I know would definitely reserve these packages to enjoy a terrific night in the park, without having to spend several hours guaranteeing a decent seat for WoC, not to mention braving the dinner crowds before the show.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    No problem. I'm glad others are thinking about this and posting. Hopefully, this idea will also blossom in TDA, where it can be made a reality.

Giving DLR hotel guests at least one show pass for WoC upon check-in would be a great selling point for the vacation packages. I typically stay off property when I visit the parks, but this one perk would definitely entice me to stay on property for a change. I wouldn't have to camp out hours before the show, nor stand in line at the main entrance hours before opening in order to guarantee a show pass from the old Tough to be a Bug FP machines.

I'm also hoping that dinner packages will be offered with WoC show passes as well. Napa, Storyteller's, just about any table service restaurant in DCA and GCH would be great, with different price points depending upon the restaurant. Everyone I know would definitely reserve these packages to enjoy a terrific night in the park, without having to spend several hours guaranteeing a decent seat for WoC, not to mention braving the dinner crowds before the show.
    My concern would be the misconception that "I have a ticket so I don't need to show up early". I don't care how many CM's say "be there early"... some "VIP" Guests will likely show up late and then complain when they get bad seats, all but demanding that they get tickets to the next show. Don't believe me... how many people continue to complain that not all lands are open at Magic Mornings even though they are told by multiple individuals that this would be the case?

As a concept it sounds great, on paper it looks great, implementing it would be a great deal harder for the CM's and likely lead to complaints no matter how hard they try.

You also have to consider those tourists who are there to see the show but staying off property. On nights when you only have 1 show... what do you do? Do you stuff it full of hotel guests or do you encourage everyone to get their tickets and then get there early?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Peaches and Dreams

I think this would be an excellent idea! I stay at the hotels already so it would be a nice bonus for me.

• Fantasmic! Fanatic

I think the show pass should be just like the Fastpass. First come first serve. If your staying at the hotel you should have plenty of time to line up early at the showpass distribution center. I do agree that the showpass will lead many people to not show up early and most likely complain when they get bad seats. I think the showpass is a great idea though since F! has people still showing up at 6 or 5pm for the prime seats, I can only imagine what we'll see at Woc.

• Launch sequence engaged

I would have to agree that hotel guests should be given a guaranteed ticket, because I think it would make a good impression to guests who invest more money to stay in a Disney hotel. It would be just another amenity allowing Disney hotels to stand out from Good Neighbor or other off-property hotels.

Showpass is also an idea that I am in complete agreement with, because I think a first-come first-serve system plays to the benefit of Annual Passholders. I have an AP, but I think they should level the playing field to allow tourists an equal chance to view the show. I find it rather unfortunate that people will have to be turned away from prime viewing points, but that is just how hype works out sometimes. This show is sending waves of excitement among many people, and I can only imagine how busy DCA will be. Those wide walkways might finally be used for something.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland Tourist View Post
    Showpass is also an idea that I am in complete agreement with, because I think a first-come first-serve system plays to the benefit of Annual Passholders.
    Actually the FastPass system, if you know how to use it plays towards the Out-of-town guest that gets to the park at opening, and versus the AP's that usually doesn't show up early in the morning.

If Showpass is implemented as Al Lutz mentioned, then there will be a line starting in the Main Entrance Plaza prior to 9 AM.

Then when the Turnstiles open, the line will move to Sunshine Plaza, and line up near the fountain. And I am SURE than Disney will walk the line with multiple CM's (to prevent line cutting) to the Bug's Land area when the park opens at 10 AM.

Since most AP's do not spend a full day at the parks, the ENTIRE group of AP holders have to show up early, as the machines will not dispense a ticket if the Admission Media is not used for entry. (So no having one person bringing 8 AP's to the park, and the rest of the group hooking up in the afternoon).

So Disney benefits in either allowing the guests in the Anaheim Resort area, who will show up at park opening, or gain in forcing AP holders to spend the entire day in the park, and hopefully get more food and beverage sales.
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 10-13-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Typos
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Johnny and Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Since most AP's do not spend a full day at the parks, the ENTIRE group of AP holders have to show up early, as the machines will not dispense a ticket if the Admission Media is not sued for entry. (So no having one person bring 8 AP's to the park, and the rest hook up in the afternoon).
    You can get sued for that sort of thing?

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    You can get sued for that sort of thing?

Hey! Show some respect! He's an "expert"!

Yeah, since we stay on-property pretty much all of the time, I could go for another benny!

But since this is pretty much just a rumor, I won't hold my breath. We'll see the show either way...

Hey, here's an idea! How about showpasses for Club 33 members! Or how about members of the rumored new DCA wanna-be Club 33??? Yeah, that's it!!!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Answering the OP, I'd say heck yes. You know all the APers will gobble up the fastpasses at opening and go to Disneyland all day. I think the out-of-towners need their shot too and there's no better way to reward the family willing to shell out $1000 to stay at a hotel for 5 days.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Why does it have to be a "Disney owned only" hotel perk?

I think Disney might look at the bigger picture and offer the "perk" to anyone who books a multi-day vacation package for Disneyland, including some, if not all, Good neighbor Hotels.

Remember, for the next few years, about 1/6th of the Disneyland Hotel inventory is not available due to the major remodeling.

The one MAJOR problem is the "date of" voucher. If there is about 9,000 guests that can fit into the Amphitheater, you can't hand out a bunch of "Come anytime you want" Showpasses. You need to carefully count out how many you issue on every day, and that will be very difficult if you try and do something at the Check-in desks.

And let's do some math....

Rooms available at the Disney owned Hotels.

GCH - about 950 with the expansion completed

PPH - 489 rooms

DLH - 990 rooms (Let's say 830 with the construction)

That is about 2,270 rooms available. And while the maximum for most rooms is 5 persons, we will go conservative, and say the average of 3 guests. (This also helps take into consideration that not every room is rented out every night). I would make it closer to 4 guests on average for each room.

2,270 x 3 is 6,810 guests.

Pretty much the ENTIRE amphitheater for one show of the evening.

Here is one idea, allow the Disney owned Hotel guests to enter DCA early (say 9:30 AM) to access the Showpass machines first, prior to the 10 AM opening for everyone else. If WOC is a priority, then the Hotel guest can get his/her entire family over to DCA (as the entry media has to be scanned at the turnstiles prior to being allowed a Showpass/Fastpass) and pick up a Showpass.

(And here is a presumption, that on days there will be two shows, half the machines will be labeled for the early show time, and the other half for the late show, so everyone gets the same time in the group (if they read the signs).

That way, the Hotel guests have to show their interest in getting a voucher for that days show, and will keep the "count" pre show fairly close. (Yes, some folks won't show up for whatever reason after getting their Showpass, but at the beginning, it will be a VERY small percentage).
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

^I like it!
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast