View Poll Results: What is your thought on "Showpass?"

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it is a great idea, it helps manage crowds well!

45 52.33%
  • I don't think it will make a difference.

18 20.93%
  • Its a bad idea! Keep the original plan!

23 26.74%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: What are your thoughts on "Showpass?"

I generally like it. I think it will help control the chaos of the show a little. I understand that APs who want to come for the night will miss out but there are people who go on vacation JUST to go to Disneyland and it will give them the opportunity to see it if educated properly.
    I know that I would be frustrated/disappointed if I came for a 3 day vacation and had to spend one whole day camped out for the world of color show. I don't know many people who travelled there for vacation that wouldn't be upset by wasting a day. Its like paying for a day just to see one show.
    I trust Disney will figure their stuff out. I am also willing to give it the summer and then go some obscure day next fall to see it.

• Minion

I don't like the idea of going into DCA just to get a Showpass and then having to come back several hours later to see the show. If the showpasses were also given out at DL, then they would not be as much of a problem.

• DL Obsessed

I generally like the idea for the purpose that i would rather wait an hour in a line to get a pass for the show than 3 hours in line in order to get a spot to see the show.

I think the system should maybe release tickets at different times. Maybe like 4000 in the from 10-11, and then like 1000 every hour until they're all gone, or something similar to that. That way if someone cant make it there till 2, they still have a shot to get in the show. But that might also lead to people waiting hours in line, so it would probably not work out very good.

Could they track tickets that entered Disneyland and if they havent re-entered DCA by a certain time their ticket gets voided?

Because the major flaw that i see in this whole thing is up to 1000 people might just get the pass cuz they "think" they might want to go to the show. So maybe like 10000 tickets could be given out and 1000 are SOL?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

This idea has a LOT of problems, many of which Al has already addressed. First, people who come early get Showpasses. What if a ton of AP holders get them and decide to go home early instead? Would people be then allowed to slip into the mix?

Also... if you're there early to get a showpass but your party joins you later. Will they be able to see the show with you? Most likely not! This is just mass confusion and grumpiness from all sides.

Even with people having Showpass, this is still going to create major chaos for ticket holders trying to get the best seat in the house. How early are people able to wait? Will the showpass have a designated section that people have to sit in? That would be my suggestion to avoid craziness.

There's talk of this show only playing once a night on occasion. That doesn't sound like a good plan to me. They definitely need to be playing this twice a night EVERY night or else there will be a lot of angry people at the end of the day.

What's great about the fireworks is that you can see them from many vantage points.. basically the ENTIRE park. World of Color? Only visible if you're close enough.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Dreaming of Disney...

I really like this Idea. But for people like me who was planning getting to DCA right when it opens and going to save a seat it sort of stinks unless they will let those people stay seating if they have a ticket I hope they do.

• Future Indy Castmember

This has got to be the worst idea ever. I mean whats the point of having this concept? It's like getting tickets for a broadway show. Except were not paying for it.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• I Miss Carnation Plaza

In many ways, Showpass's issues can be addressed in a similar way to Fastpass.

If there are 9000 tickets available, you can dole our 4500 of them slowly throughout the day. Each hour, if fewer people grab Showpasses than were available, you can add that capacity to later Showpass distribution hours.

On the ticket, you have a "come back at this time" message printed that is 15 minutes before the show starts.

You also have a "standby" line. That standby line will allow 4500 people to queue up in it.

This way, people who arrive too late to get a Showpass can stand in the "standby" line.

When it's 15 minutes prior to show time, you let all of the the people with Showpass into the seating area, and the first 4500 people in the standby area into the area.

After that, the area opens up to everyone. This way no excess space is wasted, and if you had a Showpass you had your chance, and if you wanted to wait in the standby line you also were given a choice over the people who did not queue up.

I supposed Disney could tweak the ratio of Showpass vs. initial standby based on the crowd during the day, but that's how I would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    In many ways, Showpass's issues can be addressed in a similar way to Fastpass.

If there are 9000 tickets available, you can dole our 4500 of them slowly throughout the day. Each hour, if fewer people grab Showpasses than were available, you can add that capacity to later Showpass distribution hours.

On the ticket, you have a "come back at this time" message printed that is 15 minutes before the show starts.

You also have a "standby" line. That standby line will allow 4500 people to queue up in it.

This way, people who arrive too late to get a Showpass can stand in the "standby" line.

When it's 15 minutes prior to show time, you let all of the the people with Showpass into the seating area, and the first 4500 people in the standby area into the area.

After that, the area opens up to everyone. This way no excess space is wasted, and if you had a Showpass you had your chance, and if you wanted to wait in the standby line you also were given a choice over the people who did not queue up.

I supposed Disney could tweak the ratio of Showpass vs. initial standby based on the crowd during the day, but that's how I would do it.
    I don't see the point in doling "out 4500 of them slowly throughout the day" unless you expect that those trying to get the showpasses will never exceed the number of available passes. If you are standing in line at 10:30 for a showpass when all of the 10AM passes are completely distributed, you probably will just continue to wait until the 11 AM allotment is available (or the 12 PM, etc). The person who actually arrives at 11 AM will still be behind those who got in line at 10:05 and now may need to wait even longer in that line (say for the 2 PM allotment to be released).

And assuming that the seating area is the equivalent of bleachers, I HATE the idea of letting more guests in to fill the empty spaces at 5 minutes before the show starts. I have sat in the F! bleachers at WDW and if there is more than an inch of space between you and the end of the row, some parent is going to come along and decide all 3 of their kids can fit just fine next to you! -- Suzanne

• Drink life to the lees.

I think it might help if they had the Showpasses numbered or something like that. Then the first people to get tickets could have a certain section and then the next group would get the next section etc... Similar to Southwest Airline's boarding process. Then you wouldn't have to sit for hours just to get a good spot.
    And to address the problem of some people getting a showpass and then deciding not to use it, there could be a "standby" ticket or something like that. The fastpass machines would distribute 9,000 showpasses and then 300 (not really sure how many) standby tickets. Then, 20 minutes or so before the show, if the viewing area is not full, they can accept in some of the standby people... However, you may have some angry people who had a standby ticket and think that they should still be allowed into the viewing area...

I still think they should've built a much bigger viewing area....

I think the Showpass idea isn't too bad...I would love to have a pass and go on rides then stake out a spot for hours. What if they released a certain number of passes every hour...so people who come in at different times can have a chance to get them...

• Senior Minion

I think if TDA doesn't maintain a heavy presence of security personnel at the Showpass location, at City Hall and at the WoC itself, they're going to seriously wish they had.

No matter the Showpass strategy -- given the the near-hysterical expectations for WoC, the enormous number of local APs and the relatively small seating at the venue, the choices of how this is going to go down are nasty, nastier, and "call the OC police."

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-14-2009 at 09:32 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Big Hockey Fan

i hate the whole idea! what if someone comes as soon as the show starts? huh? really bad idea

• Drink life to the lees.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I think if TDA doesn't maintain a heavy presence of security personnel at the Showpass location, at City Hall and at the WoC itself, they're going to seriously wish they had.

No matter the Showpass strategy -- given the the near-hysterical expectations for WoC, the relatively tiny seating at the venue and the enormous number of local APs, the choices of how this is going to go down are nasty, nastier, and "call the OC police."

LOL! I can't wait for the riots... And unfortunately, I have to agree with this post....

• Senior Minion

Seriously, if TDA is viewing this as simply "crowd control," I think they are very mistaken.

The thing that keeps the wall-to-wall crowds at DL under control during special events isn't the relatively few CM's with flashlights, it is the crowds themselves, because the majority of guests know the drill. The majority know what is available and what is possible; most of them have been there before and seen it before. Because of what they don't try to do, they act as dampers on what could otherwise be a runaway mob reaction of frustration and anger.

Now take 50,000 guests with enormous expectations for the biggest, most ballyhooed special show in DLR's history... who have no experience with the new venue... add a total inability for the venue to absorb even a fraction of them... and a DCA staff that doesn't know the drill any more than the crowd does. Throw into the mix the fact that many of the guests will have a huge sense of entitlement... that their frustration will grow as day after day they show up and still can't get in... and that many of the CMs will be unprofessionally trained in handling angry crowds.

Don't think this could be a major mess, with people getting injured? Ask LAPD. (I doubt OCSO has had to deal with anything this large, this unknown and this potentially problematic.)

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Judging by the summer nightastic issues with the huge crowds, it's going to be the APs that are the biggest problem, not the normal day guests. I think they either need to do about two weeks worth of AP previews, or simply block out the APs for the first two weeks. Then they can lottery off those days to the APs beforehand so that only X amount of APs can be there each night.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast