Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motion sickness cures?

So I'm going to DL next week and am a little worried about getting motion sickness again. Last time I went the TOT totally wrecked me for an hour and Space Mountain was also kinda tough. I've always been a bit weak when it comes to things like boats and curvy roads but I used to think my roller coaster riding skills were better!!!

What do you guys do to help with the mild nausea and headaches? The only thing I know of is Dramamine but I'm sure there are other things you can do and take to prevent it. I want to be able to ride Ghost Galaxy multiple times without feeling crappy about it!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Motion sickness cures?

Ride at night.......I know it sounds crazy but I know more than a couple of people who swear by this strategy.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Usul831 View Post
    What do you guys do to help with the mild nausea and headaches?
    stay off rides that make you feel sick.

Quote Originally Posted by mac81962 View Post
    stay off rides that make you feel sick.
    The thing is, they never used to make me feel like this. I think the added pounds I've gained since I last rode coasters a lot (my teens) has changed the impact of the G-Forces!

Riding at night seems like a really good tip considering a the sunlight alone can induce a headache.

• Rock Star Minion

So I'm going to DL next week and am a little worried about getting motion sickness again. Last time I went the TOT totally wrecked me for an hour and Space Mountain was also kinda tough. I've always been a bit weak when it comes to things like boats and curvy roads but I used to think my roller coaster riding skills were better!!!

What do you guys do to help with the mild nausea and headaches? The only thing I know of is Dramamine but I'm sure there are other things you can do and take to prevent it. I want to be able to ride Ghost Galaxy multiple times without feeling crappy about it!
    Stop moving.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• =)

Unfortunately, you may just have to be more careful as you get older. Not what you want to hear, I'm sure, but people's physiologies do change as they age. I wouldn't think any added weight would make an impact, though - motion sickness is thought to be the result of your inner ear disagreeing with your eyes.

Ginger is said to be good for soothing nausea, and it certainly tastes amazing, so you could try that. Keeping an eye on the horizon or road is usually recommended for seasickness and carsickness, respectively, but that's not really going to work for Space Mountain, obviously.

• Rock Star Minion

The thing is, they never used to make me feel like this. I think the added pounds I've gained since I last rode coasters a lot (my teens) has changed the impact of the G-Forces!

Riding at night seems like a really good tip considering a the sunlight alone can induce a headache.
    No. You're getting old.
    And all those coasters you rode when you were young have permanently damaged your balancing sensors. I guess someone should have warned you.

Each time I get off ToT I swear to myself it's the last time. I swear a lot.

Dramamine might make you sleepy. For headache, take an advil (or tylenol) before you hit the park.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Ginger candy will help.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Each time I get off ToT I swear to myself it's the last time. I swear a lot.
    You should have seen my before/after faces the last time I rode it. I was Mr. Cocky and Confident at the start of the ride, but walking out of it I was Mr. What Truck Just Hit Me??? It truly was the harshest of all the rides on my system.

I love ginger so I'll be bringing that along for sure!

• in the Golden Afternoon

I take dramamine. They have a less drowsy kind (the label is purple) and it doesnt ever make me tired.

My mother (who is not AT ALL a rollercoaster person or a seasckness person) took me on a 4-day cruise and to Six Flags for two days afterward for a birthday once. She wore a dramamine patch the whole day at the park, and didn't get sick once.

Try motion sickness bracelets. There are lots of different brands but the kind I tried are for sea sickness and are called Sea Bands. I think they're about $12 and you can get them at a regular drugs store like walgreens. They're basically wristbands with a small plastic ball that you place on the inside of your wrist and they work based off of some pressure point. I use them every time we go on a boat cause I get really seasick and they work for me. I'm sure they don't work for everyone but it's worth a try. Good luck!

• Minion

Motion sickness is often caused by a mismatch between what the eyes tell the brain and what the inner ear tells the brain. The inner ear is used for balance and equilibrium. In a movie theater, if the movie shows a lot of camera motion, the eyes tell the brain you are moving, but the inner ear says your body is not moving, so there is a mismatch. In a very dark ride such as Space Mountain, the inner ear detects motion of your body, but your eyes do not provide signals to the brain that agree with that, so there is a mismatch there. Seasickness is the same thing: you're on a ship, and the motion of the waves causes your inner ear to tell the brain one thing, but your eyes don't see the motion, so there is a mismatch and the result is motion sickness. For people who are prone to motion sickness there are a lot of recommendations, some work for some, others work for others. When riding in a car always sit in the front seat and either keep your eye on the horizon or your eye on the lines in the road, whichever works for you. On a ride at Disneyland, always sit in the frontmost car, and either keep your eye on the horizon or some fixed object, or keep your eyes on the track. Always get as much fresh air as possible between rides. I would avoid the Mad Tea Party because I think that may be the #1 ride for motion sickness.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I would avoid the Mad Tea Party because I think that may be the #1 ride for motion sickness.
    One trick: close your eyes the whole time.
    Sure, it's not as fun, but it counts on the rally sheet.

• Stop That!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I would avoid the Mad Tea Party because I think that may be the #1 ride for motion sickness.
    Many people don't know this, but the guest themselves can control the speed and direction of the cups' spin!

In addition, it's possible to ride the Mad Tea Party without the cup spinning for the ride's duration (not as easy as it sounds).

I recommend Ginger pills for the nausea. There is also a prescription patch that you put behind your ear. It lasts three days. My Dad used it a few weeks ago and said it worked great. (I don't know what it was called, but it didn't have the drowsy side effects of Dramamine.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast