Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Bigger Parking Structure ... How are they going to get people across Harbor?

The last bit of Al's article yesterday that hasn't been discussed is the bigger parking structure ...

Quote Originally Posted by Al
    And Disney has recently made arrangements to buy property north of Pumbaa (shown above) and expand their parking footprint to the north of the Pumbaa lot, with a six level parking structure on the way there for early next decade. Originally the Pumbaa lot was going to have an eight level garage built on a smaller footprint, but with the new piece of property added into the mix the garage is now planned to be wider and lower to help with resort area sightlines.
    I think having more spots is a great thing ... but, how are they going to get these people from Pumbaa to the park? Disney can't POSSIBLY think that having shuttle busses or people crossing the street at the Harbor signal is going to cut it. Some parts of this new structure are most likely going to be just as much of a walk than it is from Mickey and Friends.

Disney needs to come up with some economical, environmental friendly (no trams) way for people to get from this new structure to the park.

My Ideas:

• Moving Sidewalk. It can be either below or above Harbor. This is the easiest, most cost efficient way for people to get across the street without having to walk and wait for a cross walk.
    • PeopleMover. An automated system to get people from the parking structure to the entry plaza. While your at it, do the same thing for M&F as well. Have the Peoplemover be for regular guests without strollers/wheelchairs and have shuttle for wheelchair guests/people with strollers
    • Tunnel/Bridge over or under Harbor. At the VERY least, there needs to be a walk-way that people can use to walk from the structure to the park without having to clog up the crosswalks at Harbor. It was bad enough that the M&F parking structure walk-way wasn't constructed so people didn't have to cross Disneyland Dr.
    Anybody else have any ideas on how Disney can more easily get people to the park?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Bigger Parking Structure ... How are they going to get people across Harbor?

We had a great thread on this once, I wish I remembered where we discussed this. The WESTCOT proposal showed some sort of elevated train that took a big group from the garage to the esplanade. I hope we get something futuristic and exciting like that. No more tramzillas.

• Hukuna Matata!

Re: Bigger Parking Structure ... How are they going to get people across Harbor?

I thought the same thing they are going to have to build a bridge or tunnel. I am going to have to make sure I get to Mickey and Friends and park early.

• Ambassador of good will

how about Helicopter?

• Rock Star Minion

There is a legend that Harbor is an emergency landing strip and that nothing can cross over it.
    Tunnel-under peoplemover, with room for one stroller in each carriage.
    I'd also like them to be like detachable chair lifts, in which during loading and unloading the carriages are slower moving, but between those times, the carriages run 25mph or so.

Or, a simple walking tunnel under Harbor, that is only accessible from parking lot or Esplanade.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Slingshot

• Sha-lalalalala my oh my

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Slingshot
    You betcha'

Or maybe a catapult.

I know they have been working on a possible elevated monorail or peoplemover system. Not sure how far they got with that.

One thing that desperately needs to be considered by the city of Anaheim and Disney is to build elevated crossing points along a couple major streets.

The Harbor/Katella corners along with the Harbor crossing area towards the Gardenwalk desperately need something to get people off the busy and sometimes dangerous crosswalks.

• Ambassador of good will

how about balloons?
    it can have an "UP" theme and call it an attraction

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Catapult.......

Have a large size net at the entrance plaza to receive the airborne guests ......this would be much faster than walking or even a speedy peoplemover.

Others beat me to it.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    There is a legend that Harbor is an emergency landing strip and that nothing can cross over it.
    Tunnel-under peoplemover, with room for one stroller in each carriage.
    I'd also like them to be like detachable chair lifts, in which during loading and unloading the carriages are slower moving, but between those times, the carriages run 25mph or so.

Or, a simple walking tunnel under Harbor, that is only accessible from parking lot or Esplanade.
    That legend has been debunked. But be a good buddy and show us the link to that other thread, you know the one.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Slingshot

Fantasy Proposal: Build a second monorail track that provides service to both Mickey & Friends and this new structure. Build a hub for the parking lot monorails where the current shuttle-bus depot is.

Reality Check: Disney will probably commision a fleet of tour busses to shuttle guests to and from the structure.

• Hakuna Matata!

monkey bars high above Harbor... you slip.. you die... less APers to clog the parks. lol

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

No worries. By the time this thing is actually built, teletransportation will be a reality.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I know they have been working on a possible elevated monorail or peoplemover system. Not sure how far they got with that.
    Al mentioned this briefly with respect to the high speed rail center DLR connection.

One thing that desperately needs to be considered by the city of Anaheim and Disney is to build elevated crossing points along a couple major streets.
    I've often thought this. Usually when I'm in Vegas. Those elevated crossing points are genius.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast