• e komo mai

My DL Trip Report - 10/11/05

I travelled from Boston to LA this past weekend to go to my partner's sister's wedding. It was a wonderful ceremony at Calamigos Ranch, we cried, we ate, the bride's father got into a car accident...

So, with all the hullabaloo and a visit to the emergency room (he's fine - just a black eye and bruised ribs) and shuttling relatives from Tehachapi to LAX and back, I didn't have time to make a whole, full day trip to the park.

I ended up going to DL for a couple of hours on Tuesday. I often go to the park solo and it actually turns out to be a lot of fun. No schedules to keep, no waiting outside of bathrooms for friends, no stress, just me and the park.

Here are a couple of things I observed:

1. As someone else posted on another thread, the Observatron was working. I hadn't seen it before and didn't realize that it came with its own soundtrack. It actually drew and audience when it ran. This was probably due to the fact that Space Mountain was closed for a good chunk of the day.

2. Space was down while I was there and it was kind of a bummer. I really wanted to ride it again, but oh well...

3. One of my favorite pasttimes at DL is observing face characters. I like to see how they carry on the magic started by their character in their movie. I watched a practically perfect Mary Poppins for awhile and was delighted by they way she really sounded like Ms. Andrews 100%. But what truly got me was Ariel. I wanted to watch the transistion to her break and see if another Ariel popped up in her place or what (and to see the shell that she sits on turn complete with soundtrack and dry ice effect - yes, I'm a nerd) so I waited and watched her interact with several guests. She was amazing. She remembered guests names, whispered secrets in the ears of little princesses and had wonderful things to say like 'Come sit next to me, I don't bite, I'm not a shark.' and 'Is that your daddy? Is he the king of your family?' Love that. One of the best parts was when a large family from Mexico came up to her to take pictures with her. The mother of the family told Ariel that they didn't speak English and Ariel told her (in Spanish) that it was no problem and spoke to the children in Spanish. Boy was that great! The kids were stunned that Ariel spoke Spanish and that she could say a bit more than just 'hello' and 'thank you'. It made those kids' day. Kudos to that Ariel who also showed up in the parade that evening. (When she went on break, no other Ariel popped out. She was gone for a good 45 minutes.)

4. Haunted Mansion Holiday was okay this year. One of my big concerns was that the soundtrack that plays for you in your doombuggy is simply drowned out by the goings on outside of your car. The best part, for me, about the ride is the soundtrack. The rhyming script is superb (except for when he says 'unlike no other' which is grammatically wrong). But you can't hear it after you get in your car because the man eating wreaths, the sound effects and everything else drowns the sound out. I do like what they did in the ballroom and the new animated Jack in the moon at the end.

5. The park was not crowded at all. It was fun doing the park without the massive crowds.

6. DCA was even less crowded.

7. At DCA, I went to see 'Turtle Talk' with Crush. I thought the show was very cool for kids. Even some adults were trying to figure out how it was all done.

8. A funny moment in DCA was when a buff guest went up to Elastagirl and told her that she was hot. Elastagirl put her hands on her hips, grabbed the man by his wrist and walked him over to Mr. Incredible. She whispered into her husband's ear and Mr. Incredible chased the guest around the Hollywood Backlot. When he caught him, they both had a 'pose off' competition in front of the other guests which ended in the guest apologizing to Elastagirl! Great stuff!

9. I noticed a crate of dynamite on Big Thunder trail that I had never seen before. It's up on a wall across the now gone 'Little Patch of Heaven'. (LPH is being transformed into a Santa meet and greet complete with live reindeer coming in Nov.)

10. I rode Splash to see the owl talking again and got drenched. Seriously. Drenched. I was pissed. (Well, not really pissed...) But it took me awhile to dry off.

11. I was asked by at least three or four guests where I got the turkey leg I ate for lunch.

12. Forgot to add that in DCA's Animation Bldg, the Abby character was walking around with a CM. No one spoke to her. No one knew her. When kids came up to her, the CM asked them if they knew who she was. They said they didn't know. The CM said he didn't either! D'oh! Then he said he was joking and told them that she was from 'Chicken Little'. I don't know if I like the idea of having a new, unknown character walking around the park. (Boy, they must really want CL to fly high, huh?)

13. I had seen parts of the Parade of Dreams before but did not see it do a stop before with a float that transformed. I watched the Ursula float sit and sing before at a stop but it didn't do anything. I was surprised to see the towers on the floats expand upwards at a certain point after it came to a halt. That was pretty cool. With that being said, I don't care for this parade much. They had an opportunity to pay homage to the park and didn't. It even looks like they were going to (with the first float) and then didn't. Bleh to the PoD.

Well, that's about it. If I remember any more, I'll post more.

GC

• Gay Man

Re: My DL Trip Report - 10/11/05

I just have one important question......Is Frodo home now?

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid
    I just have one important question......Is Frodo home now?
    We brought Frodo, our Welsh Corgi, back to the Boston shire with us. He's sleeping. He's very tired from the long trip.

• Circle of Ancients

Awesome TR.

I agree about the HMH soundtrack. Even more upsetting is the spanish spiel at the beginning which makes the ride seemed rush since it's so long.

Gotta love those lawyers.

• Gay Man

HI FRODO!!!!!!

I love that puppy! (Oh and his daddys aren't too bad either )

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    I agree about the HMH soundtrack. Even more upsetting is the spanish spiel at the beginning which makes the ride seemed rush since it's so long.
    I think this time was the first time I heard it. Maybe I kept my ear out for it.
    I'm wondering if they could just post a sign somewhere inside that tastefully expresses what is being said in the warning spiel. That way they could do many languages...

• Circle of Ancients

^ We thought why couldn't they use a "Pal-Mickey" type of technology where you have a little headset or something that will play the entire attraction in the language you want.

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    ^ We thought why couldn't they use a "Pal-Mickey" type of technology where you have a little headset or something that will play the entire attraction in the language you want.
    I think that's a good idea.
    Off topic, but on the same note, Univision should have English sub-titles for English speakers. I'd love to know what they're saying on some of those soap operas...