Smile what else is there to do other than rides @ Disneyland?

I'm new to MC so forgive me if this has been asked and answered before! What else is there to do other than go on rides? I think I've heard of other areas that you can check out around Disneyland. I checked their site and they offer Behind the Scenes tours but I'd like things I can do on my own and free :o) I'm looking to do something different on my next trip there. Thanks for any input!!

• is poppin' tags

Re: what else is there to do other than rides @ Disneyland?

If you do a quick MiceChat search of the word 'secret', you will find a bunch of new things to look for. Plus, you will learn a bajillion facts about the park that you might not have known.

and Welcome to MC!!
    Last edited by leopardchucks; 10-14-2009 at 04:52 PM.
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

You might also do a little research on the web or buy some books about the park or the surrounding area. There are plenty of other things in and around the park.

• Minion

There is live entertainment all over the place. Some possibilities you may encounter include The Disneyland Band, the Dapper Dans, the Hook and Ladder Company, the Coke Corner piano players, the Main Street Strawhatters, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies at the Golden Horseshoe theater, Farley the Fiddler, Laughing Stock Company, the Bootstrappers in New Orleans Square, the Royal Street Bachelors, various jazz bands at Cafe Orleans and the French Market restaurants, the Disneyland Pearly Band in Fantasyland, the Trash Can Trio in Tomorrowland, the Jedi Training Academy in Tomorrowland, concerts on the Tomorrowland Terrace stage, various parades - there is usually at least one parade per day, often 2, the Celebrate! A Street Party event, the Flag Retreat Ceremony at Main Street in the late afternoon, the Fantasmic! show on the Rivers of America in Frontierland, the nightly fireworks show (which is currently Halloween Screams) usually centered around Sleeping Beauty Castle, and if you go to Disney's California Adventure, more shows including the Aladdin show at the Hyperion Theater. On Saturday evenings, the Jump, Jive, Boogie Swing Party at the Plaza Gardens stage. Also Disney movies shown at the Fantasyland theater. These are all free... no charge for any live entertainment. Many of the entertainers are phenomenally talented too. However not everything happens every day. When you go there, you can pick up a schedule of the day's events and entertainers when you pick up a park map. You can also see the schedule in advance for the main events, by going to the park's web site and type in "Calendar."
    Besides the entertainers there are also many characters out and about, you are likely to see any of the Disney characters just about anywhere but usually in the quieter places of the park. You can always walk up and say hello and have your picture taken. Sometimes they interact with guests, such as the game of musical chairs at the Coke Corner (but beware, the Mad Hatter cheats). And the famous Maynard, who I think should be the Mayor of Main Street, but you may have to ask around to find out where he is in the park that day.
    The park is also a wonderland of architecture, landscaping, and almost innumerable details that often go unnoticed by many guests. There are beautiful places to just sit and relax and watch the world go by. The ambience and atmosphere is what really sets Disneyland apart from other theme parks. At other parks you may not really enjoy being there except for the time you are on the rides. At Disneyland you can enjoy being there even if you never set foot on any actual ride. As they say, "The park is the ride."

Wow, you've been very helpful! I actually live near the park so I'm familiar with the area. I was looking for "secret" kind of stuff to keep me entertained in between rides. Thanks again!!

• Minion

Lots of different shows, parades. Downtown Disney is always nice to walk around if you'd like to take a break from the park for a few hours.

• Nerd

Looking for hidden mickeys.

• Following the Second Star

If my group goes on any rides, it's just one in the several hours that we're there. We watch parades, hang out with characters, watch performers like the Dapper Dans, and just play around. Don't let the rides dominate your visit.

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

• WDW Daily News *****

Just take your time walking around the park. Take everything in, the sights, sounds, smells...etc.... Sometimes just getting something to drink and looking at everything is the best thing to do.
    We are proud to be a MiceChat Partner Website!