Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Kawasaki Kreep

Re: Elevated Peoplemover System from the Pond/Rail Station to Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    We'll get you and your bike to Anaheim in 90 minutes.
    A big part of any vacation for me is the journey there and back.

Spending a glorious day carving canyons and redlining the motor on deserted straightaways sounds like a much better way of getting to Anaheim for someone like myself. I've got an entire route to socal that doesn't use 5 or 101 at all. Granted my route takes about 6-8 hours depending on stops speed ect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Jenny1987 View Post
    Oh dear sweet zombie jesus on a stick no.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

OK I think I know someone else who will use your HSR ticket. I tried!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by evmo View Post
    Why would I take a train when I can have a 110hp 600cc motor screaming between my legs??

Gas to LA on my Kawi is less than $20.
    Yeah, but burning up $20 worth of gas on a bike involves about 4 hours of 1500% intense concentration on the road, the weather, and every other vehicle within 500 feet, unless you want to be a road pizza. And there are only two types of street bike riders, the ones that have wiped out (or been wiped out by a car) bad enough to land in the hospital, and those that haven't... Yet.

Have had front-row witness experience three times in the family. And the last time he was on a Kawasaki 1100 Police Special with that funny black and white paint job... (On duty, of course.)

Evmo is right, it's Post 9/11 so there will be some security geting on the train, almost has to be. Probably not as intense as at an airport but it's not going to be drama free.

Tommorrowland_1967 - Running a light rail line due west from ARTIC to Long Beach would work, or make a spur line from the Blue Line and send it East along the same alignment, same difference. Only trick is finding a route with very moderate grades, trolleys do better than trains on hills but you still want to restrict the grade to 2% or 3%.

One huge problem with making a properly integrated transit system (again) is that each of the various light rail systems inside Los Angeles County all have slightly different train systems, other than the rail gauge they are for the most part not inter-operable.

You can't just turn back the clock to the Pacific Electric and L.A. Railway days and make a "Special" train that can go straight from the Harbor to Union Station on Blue and Red Line tracks, and then all the way out to Monrovia on the Gold Line ROW, because the signaling or catenary voltage or automatic stop systems (or a dozen other little things) are different.

They forgot the rule "Specialization is for insects." You want to accomplish new and varied tasks easily and quickly, you have to be a generalist. And they wrote standards for a reason.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    They forgot the rule "Specialization is for insects." You want to accomplish new and varied tasks easily and quickly, you have to be a generalist. And they wrote standards for a reason.

--<< Bruce >>--
    They are just now learning what the Railroad industry learned generations ago... KISS... Keep it Simple Stupid!.. I can't tell you how often the specialized stuff sent to the Marines didn't work because the overly complicated thigimabob didn't connect just right to the wire on the dohiky and then the thigimijig didn't line up with the whatchamacolic... in English the designer made it too easy to fail! Meanwhile the phone bought right before Korea still works great... takes two D-Cell batteries... 1 up, 1 down.. doesn't matter which is which!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

What percentage of DLR guests are local, what percentage are regional and what are distant?

A HSR network will not help local guests in the slightest. All those guests from Santa Barbara to San Diego will still come by car. It also won't help distant guests where air travel is the most convenient. Ultimately, it will only be good for those from San Francisco, San Jose, Las Vegas and Phoenix (and it doesn't even go here).

Don't get me wrong, I love the concept, I just don't see the practicality.

• Banned User

Most Disneyland guests are actually local, unlike Disney World.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

I think they should worry about putting something on the people mover track they already have as opposed to spending money designing a system for a train that may never exist.
    I agree
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Rock Star Minion

If ARTIC can become a major regional hub of public transportation of all sorts,. then maybe there would be a need for an additonal parking lot.
    That said, we have already determined the optimal mode and the optimal route in other threads.
    ARTIC planning documewnts contain various routes.
    Chatter CA'er made a mass transit thread in the planning section.

And Bruce, I can get you home late to Woodland Hills via public transit:
    Bus South to some street. (I can't remember which, but it's in the mass transit thread mentioned above.)
    Bus West to Blue Line.
    Blue Line to Red Line
    Red Line to Orange Line
    Orange line to WH.

Carpooling will always be the best option, if you have DL friends in your area.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Galactic Member

Didn't we approve the bullet train in last years ballot?

• Kawasaki Kreep

Yeah, but burning up $20 worth of gas on a bike involves about 4 hours of 1500% intense concentration on the road, the weather, and every other vehicle within 500 feet, unless you want to be a road pizza. And there are only two types of street bike riders, the ones that have wiped out (or been wiped out by a car) bad enough to land in the hospital, and those that haven't... Yet.
    I've already been there, and the saying goes,"There are two types of riders, those who have been down and those who will go down."

I'm not nearly the hothead on wheels I pretend to be. If I do venture into the 80+ range its somewhere remote and isolated with clear sight lines. I've slid down the road with my bike bouncing next to me due to conditions outside my control and I've witnessed riders/friends slide off roads and get hit by cars ect. I'm well aware of the risks of two wheeled transportation and still I'm still obsessed with it.
    I would still rather ride my 600 then take a 20 billion dollar tax-payer funded folly to SoCal.
    Last edited by evmo; 10-15-2009 at 07:14 PM.

• Kawasaki Kreep

Quote Originally Posted by spacejockey View Post
    Didn't we approve the bullet train in last years ballot?
    We also approved BART to San Jose, like 7 years ago. Guess what, still no inkling of a start date.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I've already been there, and the saying goes,"There are two types of riders, those who have been down and those who will go down."

I'm not nearly the hothead on wheels I pretend to be. If I do venture into the 80+ range its somewhere remote and isolated with clear sight lines. I've slid down the road with my bike bouncing next to me due to conditions outside my control and I've witnessed riders/friends slide off roads and get hit by cars ect. I'm well aware of the risks of two wheeled transportation and still I'm still obsessed with it.
    I would still rather ride my 600 then take a 20 billion dollar tax-payer funded folly to SoCal.
    Okay, just so you're clear on the subject, and being realistic about the hazards...

You can always tell the true cases of "Live fast, Die young..." - they are the ones riding a 900 Ninja wearing a T-shirt, Chucks & Cutoffs. And to satisfy the helmet laws, a Taiwan knockoff Pickelhaub with the forged DOT Sticker.

Mojave - I'll make an educated guess that it's evenly split, give or take. 33% Local (2 hour radius), 33% regional (CA NV AZ), and 33% long distance.

While air travel might be more convenient, it's also a LOT less energy efficient. Diesel-electric trains are better, and electrified trains are much better because you can use almost anything to make the power - natural gas, clean coal, bunker oil, hydro, solar, wind. (And it's a lot easier to scrub the flue gases from fossil fuels at a fixed plant.) Planes have one choice - Jet Fuel (kerosene) - and they spray unburned fuel out the exhaust.

And air travel has a higher safety risk than rail.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

A people mover from the parking area? I just might ride that all day!

• Kawasaki Kreep

While air travel might be more convenient, it's also a LOT less energy efficient. Diesel-electric trains are better, and electrified trains are much better because you can use almost anything to make the power - natural gas, clean coal, bunker oil, hydro, solar, wind. (And it's a lot easier to scrub the flue gases from fossil fuels at a fixed plant.) Planes have one choice - Jet Fuel (kerosene) - and they spray unburned fuel out the exhaust.
    True but jets are already here and require no additional power sources to be built. Also what's the capacity of this rail system? I suspect that even if it is built it won't be able to accomidate everyone who wants to go south (or north) so the end result will be jets + rail as opposed to just jets.

And air travel has a higher safety risk than rail.
    I seriously doubt this is true. I'm always hearing of train accidents of some kind or another yet large scale accidents involving passenger jets are very rare. Even fatal general aviation accidents are uncommon, yet people are hit by trains almost daily.

In one of Darkbeers photo updates he posted several photos about the elavted system being considered. The photos gave a timeline and if a remember correctly had specific deadlines for diferent phases of the project. The final compeltion date for the whole construction project i believe was set for 2016.

That timeline also seems to match pretty close to the timeline i have heard for the possibility of the third gate. It also matches the timeline that they have set for the temprary parking at the strawberry field. That parking lot is suppose to open in a few months and is proposed to be a five year temporary lot with the possibility of extention to ten if needed. There goal is to have it gone in five though. By then the new parking structures in the convention center and pumbaa would be done.
    Last edited by Baloo; 10-15-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast