Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Elevated Peoplemover System from the Pond/Rail Station to Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Part of the expense of the CA HSR will be all the grade seperations that will be made. It won't go by at 100 mph with just crossing arms.

The first stretch to open will be from Union Station to Anaheim. So even if it never goes from Sacramento to San Diego (long term plan), it will funnel people down to Anaheim from LA a lot faster than Interstate 5.
    It's only 25 miles from downtown LA to Disneyland. Is it really going to be faster to travel to the station, wait for the scheduled departure, get to the Anaheim station and transfer via PM or bus to DL? Is that faster than just getting in your car and driving directly to your destination?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

California High Speed Rail Authority Interactive Map

Do your own trip visualizations here.

1 hour 13 min from Bakersfield (Mojave Desert) to Anaheim/ARTIC.

Faster and cheaper than a car.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    It's only 25 miles from downtown LA to Disneyland. Is it really going to be faster to travel to the station, wait for the scheduled departure, get to the Anaheim station and transfer via PM or bus to DL? Is that faster than just getting in your car and driving directly to your destination?
    A high speed rail line could be much faster, more economical, environmentally friendly, and would help Disneyland save a tremendous amount on the expense and problem of parking.

I live south of Disneyland but work in LA. When I drive, it can take me over 2 hours to get two work and longer than that to get home. On many occasions I've taken the Metrolink. On light traffic days, the train takes about as long to get to LA as driving. However, on heavy traffic days, the train can be much quicker. But the train is always more relaxing and less stressful than battling LA traffic.

The high speed train would have fewer stops and be much faster than the Metrolink. I'm

definitely in favor of more, better, and more environmentally friendly transportation in the LA area, and especially a link to the Disneyland Resort. Disney using its clout to make this happen could be a real boon for Anaheim and Orange County in general.

I'd love to see it, but like many of you, I fear that politics and the economic crisis will stand in the way. But then again, if Disney plays their cards right, they could use all of those factors to their advantage (funding political campaigns and seeking stimulus funds). This could really happen if there is a concerted and capable campaign to make it happen.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

a People Mover system from the station to DLR may work for many regional riders, but not for most of the riders from the northern end of the HSR. right now if you fly, you do one of two things. 1) rent a car, load your bags and go to the park if it's early enough and you have an AP or multi-day pass to cover the first day, if not you go to the hotel. 2) take a taxi, bus or van to your hotel, check you bags or check in, and then go to the park.

the common factor is that you have to take care of your luggage before you can got to the park. the transit system would need to serve the Anaheim Resort Area as a whole to be effective, not just the DLR and convention center.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gary94080 View Post
    the common factor is that you have to take care of your luggage before you can got to the park. the transit system would need to serve the Anaheim Resort Area as a whole to be effective, not just the DLR and convention center.
    Very true Gary.

Disney deals with this at the Tokyo, Paris, and Hong Kong parks. All of which have dedicated rail stations at (or very near) the resort. Once you get to the station, there are shuttle buses to take you to your hotel, or you can catch a cab or walk. I've taken the train to all of those resorts at one time or another (with bags). And it has always worked out just fine.

The first thing to do is get the station as close to Disneyland as possible (or well linked) and then create an operational procedure to address getting hotel guests to their hotels and day visitors directly to the park as quickly and efficiently as possible.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    California High Speed Rail Authority Interactive Map

Do your own trip visualizations here.

1 hour 13 min from Bakersfield (Mojave Desert) to Anaheim/ARTIC.

Faster and cheaper than a car.
    "Cheaper" has not been verified (unless subsidizing travel is part of the whole deal). And dependent on number of passengers in said car.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

*Cheaper if you're a single driver going down to the parks for work or to meet others.

Faster either way unless they put in carpool lanes from OC line to Burbank on the 5 and you're flying.

More fun and exciting all around, plus it's more practical to leave all those cars back in LA.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gary94080 View Post
    a People Mover system from the station to DLR may work for many regional riders, but not for most of the riders from the northern end of the HSR. right now if you fly, you do one of two things. 1) rent a car, load your bags and go to the park if it's early enough and you have an AP or multi-day pass to cover the first day, if not you go to the hotel. 2) take a taxi, bus or van to your hotel, check you bags or check in, and then go to the park.

Hotels have free shuttles to the esplanade - Im sure they'll offer them to Artic or else there will be one shuttle for the loop of hotels around DLR.

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    The Starbucks news seemed to grab all the attention in Al's last update, however, I found the statement below about a "Peoplemover" used to shuttle people from a new high speed rail station to Disneyland to be the really exciting news.

A Peoplemover system which also stops at the new parking structure across from Garden Walk (or perhaps even at Garden Walk) would be a great way to shuttle crowds in a more environmentally friendly way than buses. Additionally a high speed rail project could help cut down on parking congestion by encouraging more guests to take the train instead of driving.

I wouldn't be surprised if such a high speed rail project also linked the Disney Cruise Line terminal with Disneyland as well.

What are your thoughts folks?
    take the train from where? how fast is high speed?

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
    If, and that is a BIG if, the pipe dream of a high speed rail system ever actually gets built, it might be a nice idea.

But I have a feeling that my teenage kids will have grandkids before the high speed rail ever makes it into sunny California.

If at all...
    it would be nice...but way too expensive. the money set aside to "study" the feasability is probably just political payoffs... theyve been talking about a high speed rail to vegas too. neither will ever happen. Boo Hoo

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    take the train from where? how fast is high speed?
    Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    it would be nice...but way too expensive. the money set aside to "study" the feasability is probably just political payoffs... theyve been talking about a high speed rail to vegas too. neither will ever happen. Boo Hoo
    More information is available at the link at post 47.

ARTIC and the Resort are planned to be connected by Monorail, not People Mover. Stops would be at the third gate and one at the East Transportation Plaza.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    ARTIC and the Resort are planned to be connected by Monorail, not People Mover. Stops would be at the third gate and one at the East Transportation Plaza.
    Actually, that's not true. Whether it's a trolley, monorail, light rail car or advanced people mover system is still "up in the air".

Anaheim Fixed-Guideway Transit Corridor Study: City of Anaheim

Consistent with the Transit Master Plan, we are now advancing the study of a fixed-guideway project. This project proposes to provide a new east/west transit connection between the planned Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center (ARTIC), the Platinum Triangle and The Anaheim Resort™. The project is envisioned to operate as a high-capacity system, providing convenient and efficient transfers to Metrolink, Amtrak, Bus Rapid Transit (BRT), local bus, and future high-speed train services connecting at ARTIC. This connection will link Orange County’s “backbone” Metrolink commuter rail system to the City of Anaheim’s major employment and activity centers in the Platinum Triangle and The Anaheim Resort™.

Over the next two years, the City of Anaheim will prepare environmental studies and preliminary engineering and environmental studies, including an Alternatives Analysis Report and a joint Environmental Impact Report/Statement (EIR/EIS) to meet federal and state requirements. The environmental studies will evaluate in detail the impacts and benefits of a fixed-guideway and other project alternatives to identify a locally preferred alternative that will be advanced to the next phase of engineering development and implementation.
    See also:
    http://www.anaheimfixedguideway.com/...ing-Boards.pdf

Page 22 shows the different vehicles under consideration.
    Last edited by CaliforniaAdventurer; 10-22-2009 at 09:59 AM.

• Making my own Mousekteers

I'm quite frankly fascinated by the whole idea. We don't have much experience with mass transit in AZ (much to our detriment) but I think this would be a fantastic idea. Particularly because of Disney saying that AP's that come down by themselves are the cause of a lot of the parking problems at the park. If you could make a huge dent in that number the parking situation could become manageable again.

Personally I would love a high speed train from AZ to Ca. I get horribly air sick even with Dramamine and with a 4 month old baby I'm dreading the 5 hours in the car for our first trip in November. It would be a nice happy medium for those of us that can't afford or tolerate air travel. On a side note, how awesome would a people mover or monorail from the parking lot to the Esplanade be???

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post
    I'm quite frankly fascinated by the whole idea. We don't have much experience with mass transit in AZ (much to our detriment) but I think this would be a fantastic idea. Particularly because of Disney saying that AP's that come down by themselves are the cause of a lot of the parking problems at the park. If you could make a huge dent in that number the parking situation could become manageable again.

Personally I would love a high speed train from AZ to Ca. I get horribly air sick even with Dramamine and with a 4 month old baby I'm dreading the 5 hours in the car for our first trip in November. It would be a nice happy medium for those of us that can't afford or tolerate air travel. On a side note, how awesome would a people mover or monorail from the parking lot to the Esplanade be???
    You could take the Amtrak (formerly Santa Fe RR) train from AZ to Ca, just like Walt did.

When the HSR from LA to Anaheim opens you'd buy a ticket at Union Station and be at ARTIC Center about 20 minutes after your train from Arizona arrived in downtown Los Angeles.

So you could ride the rails all the way to the main gates, and then promptly hop aboard the Disneyland Railroad!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast