Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Banned User

I understand that some loved Millionaire. Personally, I think it is the worst thing Disney has done since the openeing of DCA.... It had absolutely NO entertainment value for me, and another "game show" type thing has NO interest from me.

Disney is HIGHLY unlikely to build anymore 'edutainment-y' rides... They have proven themselves non-cost-effective time and time again. No staying power. I understand that some people really like those rides, but look at it realistically. How many cartoon based rides have closed in Disneyland... Disney World? How many edutainment-y rides have been replaced, redone?

Of the rides likely to be built, Mission:Space is the top of my list.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by fkurucz
    Mission Space: The NRE has already been paid for in Orlando.
    NRE? New Ride Engineering?

Unfortunatly, there are a pair of lawsuits that are going to have to be settled before M:S makes it into any other theme parks.

• That's Hawt

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    NRE? New Ride Engineering?

Unfortunatly, there are a pair of lawsuits that are going to have to be settled before M:S makes it into any other theme parks.
    What are the lawsuits about?
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    I understand that some loved Millionaire. Personally, I think it is the worst thing Disney has done since the openeing of DCA.... It had absolutely NO entertainment value for me, and another "game show" type thing has NO interest from me.

Disney is HIGHLY unlikely to build anymore 'edutainment-y' rides... They have proven themselves non-cost-effective time and time again. No staying power. I understand that some people really like those rides, but look at it realistically. How many cartoon based rides have closed in Disneyland... Disney World? How many edutainment-y rides have been replaced, redone?

Of the rides likely to be built, Mission:Space is the top of my list.
    The problem with M:S is that it is neither edu- nor -tainment. It has the same problems AE had, in that it's not exactly kid-friendly, or particularly adult-friendly, AND it has the added benefit of making lots of people physically sick.

Besides, just because a ride is about something other than spacejunk doesn't mean it's "edutainment-y."

Meanwhile, I think the same people who love to compete on a ride like Buzz will love to compete with a faster-paced gameshow attraction. Once you cut out the whole Millionaire show elements (pretending it's a real show, 50:50/ask the audience/phone a total stranger, etc.) it will be much more interactive and engaging. And retaining the CoP 6-stage theater with virtually continuous seating will make it much more appealing than having to wait an hour or two.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• With my wife....

Why would you want to replace Innoventions when there's going to be an exciting new Honda exhibit in there for the big 50th celebration?
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MiceMan
    What are the lawsuits about?
    Disney hired a sub-contractor to work on the project. It was a time and materials contract, meaning Disney pays costs + a mark-up. Well, it wasn't long before the costs climbed from... can't remember the exact amounts... like from $20 million up to $30 million.

Disney and the company (ETC) renegotiated the contract from time+materials to fixed bid at something like $30 million for the company's part of the work...

Well, the company claims Disney then changed the requirements, and owes them another $17 million because of scope changes. Plus they claim they own intellectual property rights on a part of the technology, so should get licensing fees should Disney use the ride system in other parks. In fact, they think they should be able to sell the ride to other amusement parks, as long as those parks are more than 100 miles from a Disney park.

Disney counter-sued saying the company didn't provide anything useful and they had to redo everything themselves. Disney also claims the company doesn't own any of the rights to the ride system and Disney should be able to use the technology at any park without providing the company any more money and that the company can't sell any similar rides to any other parks since they can't separate their independant work from the work they did for Disney.

ETC is now in bankruptcy... Not sure if that will make them interested in settling or not.

http://www.talkdisney.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19268

I'm all for a return in CoP or Mission:Space; but I'd also like to see a revamped Adventures thru Innerspace... or it could be a loading area for Submarine Voyage? too many possibilities.

• Sock Puppet

First of all, good post idea! Innoventions is pretty weak and is in dire need of a replacement. As far as what that replacement may be, definately something that utilizes and conforms with the current structure. My idea was a test track. Maybe not cars like at Epcot, since it is "Tomorrowland", but maybe something else more futuristic?

• Banned User

Better article on the lawsuits. Page 2 spells it out.

http://orlando.bizjournals.com/orlan...08/story4.html

The contract rose from $25 million to $30 million, then renegotiated to lock it in at $35 million. When the company couldn't finish the project for $35 million, Disney paid them the flat $35 million for work done to that point, then completed the project in-house.

The company says it is owed another $15 million, plus should get to see all of Disney's in-house work to make sure it is "safe", plus owns the basic ride system just not any of the changes made for Disney. Disney says the company has been paid in full and that the company signed over all rights to Disney, not just the enhancements.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SurfedUpDane
    First of all, good post idea! Innoventions is pretty weak and is in dire need of a replacement. As far as what that replacement may be, definately something that utilizes and conforms with the current structure. My idea was a test track. Maybe not cars like at Epcot, since it is "Tomorrowland", but maybe something else more futuristic?
    Rumor is that Test Track ride system is going into DCA as a "Cars" themed attraction.

Make the most of the Pixar contract before losing it... or being forced to renegotiate.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    The problem with M:S is that it is neither edu- nor -tainment. It has the same problems AE had, in that it's not exactly kid-friendly, or particularly adult-friendly, AND it has the added benefit of making lots of people physically sick.
    Not edu.... good. tainment... many reviews are very positive.

Besides, just because a ride is about something other than spacejunk doesn't mean it's "edutainment-y."
    As other lands of Disneyland prove very well. But Tomorrowland seems to break into two camps... SciFi/SpaceFantasy, or edutainment-y look at a possible future.

I think the same people who love to compete on a ride like Buzz will love to compete with a faster-paced gameshow attraction.
    Still WAY disagree. Buzz is a one-on-one competition within a family. It is a kenetic ride with lots of stuff to look at and play with.... It's not one-vs.-the rest-of-the-audience. It's not watching one guest out of an audience of hundreds get on stage.

The one show every couple hours is what allowed them to keep question generation costs down... but not nearly enough to keep the show alive. I can't imagine the costs associated with constant, continuous showings in multi-theaters.

It was tried... it lasted only a couple years.... That is a flop, regardless of whether you personally liked the concept or not, it flopped.

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

My one hope if/when Innoventions is closed for a new attraction is that the building is demolished and the land is opened up ofr an all new experience that can be built fom the ground up. No forcing a retro fit. That only limits the imgination. Pooh was a BAD retrofit, Buzz was a good one, Nemo is a yet to be seen retro fit. But, the last 3 "new" rides have all been "forced" into exisitind infrastructure. Lets see a fresh new building in Tomorrowland.

That said, I would be VERY happy with an all new Carousel Theater show produced with the same type of ultra-high Disney standards that brought us the CoP and America Sings. Pletu's Galactic Revue could still be a great show for this facility, especially now since Paul Pressler killed the Country Bears at DL. What could be cooler than a bunch of silly aliens performing for us? Plus, this type of attraction would not date as quickly either.

• e komo mai

I'd replace it with one big revolving Starbucks.

Again, a joke. I'm in a weird mood today...

• /sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    I'd replace it with one big revolving Starbucks.

Again, a joke. I'm in a weird mood today...
    Then, replace HISTA with yet another starbucks....
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Banned User

Of course, DCA's wharf needs a History of Starbucks movie featuring What-upy Goldburg, plus a Starbuck's factory tour.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast