Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

• Minion

Actually, something like small world has two advantages over a static show.
    1) It's not static. For whatever reason, the sensation of moving through an environment adds value to the attraction. It's also the ability to turn around in your seat and see things all around you. That's not really true of a stage show. A stage show is designed to keep you looking at all of the proper show elements when it wants you to look. Usually, you don't even have to move your head to see them all. And while it is true that CoP does have some brief sensations of motion, it is limited.

2) Small World does, in fact, get a holiday overlay, so it's not always the same show. True, you can do the same with CoP, but the level of complexity compared to small world would require a lot more effort.

As posted here or elsewhere, static AA shows actually don't have such a great track record at Disneyland. Country Bears are gone. Tiki Room is always rumored to be THIS close to shutting down. Lincoln has undergone numerous revisions, and speculation is that this show will not be coming back...

So, we come back to a few major reasons why CoP is a bad choice.
    1) Shows simply don't have a long shelf life. That's the main reason Tomorrowland always seems to need redoing.
    2) AAs are, what, roughly 40 years old now. Not very Tomorrowland.
    3) The story is also lacking in the Tomorrowland department. I think the final scene at WDW is the same one I saw back in 88, and it felt pretty dated even then. It'd be fine if it were installed at the northern end of the proposed Residential Street/Edison Square, where it could serve as a second entrance into Tomorrowland. Otherwise, it just doesn't work..
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    I would replace it with a two-storied PM that would show a model of a futuristic city after going through Star Tours and Starcade's 2nd storyand then move on to Space Mountain and the rest of TL's tour.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

I think that they should pick a "Disney space related movie", such as Stitch, Tron, or Treasure Planet.

Now I realize that I am really going out on a limb here, but here it goes.

Give the Imagineers a blank check!!!!

It is about time we knocked people's socks off, again!

Stitch - has several options.

Tron - can you imagine what the Imagineers could do with the racers!!!

Treasure Planet - the space skateboard!!!

I would love to see what could come of that???

PS - Bag "Star TOURS" Make a real "Star Wars" themed ride. With Darth Vader, Chewbacca! The real thing!

• Carousel Theater Host

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    static AA shows actually don't have such a great track record at Disneyland. Country Bears are gone. Tiki Room is always rumored to be THIS close to shutting down. Lincoln has undergone numerous revisions, and speculation is that this show will not be coming back...
    After speaking with some folks over at Imagineering, I am told that the Lincoln show will return after the 50th, and as we speak, the Tiki Room is getting a complete overhaul, in efforts to restore it to its original splendor.

As far as a shelf life of an AA show at Disneyland is concerned, the Tiki Room has lasted for 42 years, and the Country Bears lasted for 30 years. Lincoln has lasted for 40 years, and will continue to operate after the 50th anniversary. Shelf life of an AA attraction is usually long, as AAs cost a bit of money to produce and create.

The only reason the original CoP closed at Disneyland was because it was moved to WDW. In 1974, with the Bicentennial of the USA just around the corner, America Sings opened to a mixed reaction. Some liked the new show, while others felt as though it was not a suitable replacement for the CoP in Anaheim.

As time goes on, AA shows get updated/upgraded. The Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is not the same show or even the same Animanatronic that went to the World's Fair. He has been upgraded at least four times since, and the show has been changed at least three times. The AAs in the Tiki Room are not the same ones that opened the show in 1963. The show has even been updated and shortened by about :30-:45.

Even the CoP has been updated, once in 1971, once in the 1980s, and then again in 1994. The show that is currently playing at WDW is not the original.

Because of the longevity of AA show attractions in Anaheim, it is a safe bet that the Carousel would have a fairly long life if it were to be reinstalled back in the Carousel Theater at Disneyland.

Minor Tidbit about the original plans for the 50th tribute:
    Imagineering was tossing around ideas about what they would do with the area downstairs inside Innoventions after the 50th anniversary of Disneyland. One idea that was seriously considered was putting the CoP back in the Carousel building. Of course, this went away when the 50th anniversary project was moved to the Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln building.

• Minion

Well, I'm just going to have to agree to disagree here... Yes, supposedly Lincoln will be returning. Largely, I suspect, because of vocal park fans who, while vocal, do not necessarily represent a very large portion of the general park-going public. Also, the attraction has a historical value. And of course, current management seems to be reversing the trend of closing attractions before a suitable replacement is found. If the 50th shoiw proved to be not only a winner, but one that would be durable beyond the 50th celebration itself, I suspect the "temporary" eplacement of Lincoln would become more permanent. Otherwise, there is Autopia/MBC/Subs, Innoventions, HISTA, PeopleMover, and the petting zoo to bring up to par, and a whole other park on the other side of the entrance plaza that require more immediate attention than Lincoln. But the fact that it is still here does not mean that it has not exceeded its shelf life.

Similarly, Matt knows bad show, and letting the sorely neglected Tiki Room be seen by audiences for the 50th celebration is unacceptable. Again, we have the trifecta of vocal fans, historical value, and no more closed attractions.

Shows may go on past their shelf lives. There are compelling reasons to keep existing shows that are underperforming. But, much as I want to see CoP return to Anaheim in some way, this isn't the way. To look at WDW, see that CoP is only seasonal and STILL isn't drawing decent crowds, see that it is one of those perpetually-dated attractions that the "future that never was" concept was attemtping to escape, and despite all that bring it to Disneyland... I just don't see any responsible management team putting this attraction in Tomorrowland.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    NRE? New Ride Engineering?

Unfortunatly, there are a pair of lawsuits that are going to have to be settled before M:S makes it into any other theme parks.
    Non recurring engineering. The design work.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456