Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Dreams do come true

Why does Disneyland mean so much to you?

I know there's many stories on why the park has a special place in your heart and it's nice to share them...

1993 when I was 4 years old my Mom and Dad took me and my brother to Disneyland. I guess my mom told them I was 3 so I could get in for free haha sneaky. I can't remember much being so young but I do remember my brother complaining because he didn't want to get on the Dumbo ride because it was for kids, he was 14. My mom took my brother on autotopia and didn't take me... I have no idea where I was but when we met up with them I was crying because I wanted to go on so bad ( I fianlly went on on the 9th of this month yay...although I'm sure it would have more fun then).
    lets see... I remember always asking my dad to go on his shoulders because my legs hurt.
    When we got up to take a picture with Minnie I was so happy and after the picture I went to walk away but I guess my mom said one more and I didn't hear and Minnie pulled me back hard. I'm pretty sure she didn't do it hard but as a kid I was mad and I still remember it to this day.
    To end the night I remember the light parade and dancing.

The reason this all means so much to me is because this was the last place I can remember my parents being happy with no fighting. A true family! I'm not trying to be a downer but I like to remember being happy there and not crying because I didn't understand my parents.
    I am so happy I found someone who gets my love and joy for Disney.
    My boyfriend and Micechat

No this kid is not my brother... weirdo haha

sorry the pictures are a blur it was 93 and I also don't have a scanner.

• Dreamer

Re: Why does Disneyland mean so much to you?

I really can't put it in words but to me Disneyland is what it is, the land of dreams and the imagination. Once you walk past those turnstiles you officially left this reality and whatever you want to do you can because nobody will look at you and wants to have you institutionalized because they will most likely join you.

I'm not happy about what DL has slowly turned into and why they even bother including anything on the Disney Channel (that's a whole other problem...), but I'm sure there still are people of any age that can forget about who or what they are in the "real world" and just go with the flow in any of the Disney parks.

In other words, if it weren't for Disneyland, humanity would be in a much darker, more twisted place than we could imagine.

• Minion

For me, because it was a completely different world than the suburban life that we normally lived (and we lived in the city of Orange, less than 10 miles from Disneyland). Frontierland especially captivated me. Instead of houses and schools I was in a world of rivers, waterfalls, geysers, trees, bears, cactus, rocks, mountain lions, forts, Indians, caves, glowing colored water. And back then it wasn't as crowded and visiting there was almost all joy and fun with very little drudgery. Also it was exciting to go there because it was a famous place, virtually everyone knew about it from the endless publicity on TV about it, so going there after seeing and hearing so much about it was sort of like going to the Emerald City for real after watching The Wizard of Oz. There was this dreamlike wonderland that everybody heard about and you were actually arriving there! There was definitely an element of glamour because it was a famous place. I even thought cast members in costumes for the rides were glamorous people. And the experience of being there was totally different from any other tourist attraction or amusement park. It was a combination of a world's fair, amusement park, national park and Hollywood all mixed together. The twinkling white lights in the olive trees at the hub made it feel like Christmas at any time of the year. The Haunted Mansion made it feel like Halloween all year. The fireworks made it feel like the 4th of July all year. It was all the great holidays all year round. Going there was a family event, not just a way to spend a day. The whole family went as a group. As kids we hated to leave the park, even though we were totally exhausted, because it meant leaving a place which was better than the rest of the world and returning to the ordinary suburban life. Baby boomers like us formed a strong emotional bond to the place.

• Hukuna Matata!

Great Pics and Memories, thanks for sharing. My first two trips to Disneyland are my fondest Memories, once as a young lad, and again with my Sister and Then at the time Brother in law for the opening of Indiana Jones which I believe was 95, What a trip for me, I convinced the the to let me ride there in the back of there truck and they actually let me, I remember falling asleep here on the I10 in the warm darkness, falling asleep only to wake up to the cool mist in the air, it was then that I fell in love with Southern California. I started returning regulary to the park when I turned 18 around 1998 and been hooked ever since.

• I Love Disneyland

Whenever I get cose to the property the excitement swells. I'm totally antsy while I'm on the tram. And when I have my passport wanded and I'm though the entry gates...just bliss. There are no work stresses. My family is with me at our favorite place. There are no life stresses. We have lots to do and lots to see, but there are no worries. We'll do it all and see it all. It's like magic. I know of no other word that can describe it. When I'm at Disneyland all it well with the world. My 12 year old son says it best..."I wish the whole world could feel like this."
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway - Walt Disney

• Blow me to Bermuda!

I don't know that there's really any one reason. It's all the little things added up together. My favorite part though is probably that it's never an issue. The kid almost always wants to go and there's no argueing. We can go, have a great time, get away from life, work, and school for a few days and come home feeling refreshed and ready to face it all again. I guess it sort of puts the joy back in the world for me. lol

Enjoying the warmth and sunshine of Phoenix between Disney trips.

Quote Originally Posted by wvnative View Post
    I don't know that there's really any one reason. It's all the little things added up together. My favorite part though is probably that it's never an issue. The kid almost always wants to go and there's no argueing. We can go, have a great time, get away from life, work, and school for a few days and come home feeling refreshed and ready to face it all again. I guess it sort of puts the joy back in the world for me. lol
    I'm gonna have to agree with you on this. It really is a lot of different things current and past, memories that you bring with you and those that you are reminded of only when you're there and you can embrace them, once again. It's a reminder that magic (real or prepackaged) does exist somewhere, you just have to look for it.

• Dreams do come true

Everytime is just added memories. I love the warm feeling. Does Christmas time make it more magical?

• Minion

It's beautiful at Christmas with all the decorations but I don't think it necessarily makes it more magical. I saw the candlelight procession in 1978 and that was really nice, but the rest of the park is basically the same thing as always. I think the most beautiful the park gets is in March and April with a profusion of flowers. On the first sunny day after a rainstorm in March has cleared out, Disneyland sparkles like at no other time.
    Last edited by Bob Weaver; 10-19-2009 at 07:11 PM.

• Dreams do come true

sounds like a great time to go, less crowded I bet

• Dreams do come true

Does anybody have great stories about a time they were at Disneylsnd?

For me it's little land to call my own plus it......is.......AWESOME!!!!!
    Disneyland: the best place to go to if you have the brain to do so.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by kaylas View Post
    Does anybody have great stories about a time they were at Disneylsnd?

Back in March I got to take my high school crush to Disneyland about 20 years after daydreaming of what the day would be like.

The finest time I've ever had there, without a doubt. We're still together and have been going almost every weekend since.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Dreams do come true

aww that's the sweetest thing. congrats. I love the feeling and the music.

• youtube.com/micahglitters

disneyland was always the place where i could be the child in my family, not my parents. it was also the place where my mom would get really magical, "i dont know when the next time we'll be here will be so i saved money and we can do whatever you want!"

but it think the turning point was when i was 18 and visiting the park with a friend. it was getting late and we hopped onto the monorail. there was a family of four (mom, dad, and two boys) and both boys looked about ready to fall asleep and were both wearing peter pan hats and carrying swords. i listened in just in time to realize that they were sharing what wishes they had made earlier in the park. and the dad said (sooooo gently), "you know what i wished for? i wished that every day could be as perfect as this one has been."

oh my god, it still makes me cry every time i think about it. it was so sweet and so genuine and that cant happen anywhere else. that's my wish too. i think that's all of our wish.

<3
    "The magic is as wide as a smile and as narrow as a wink, loud as laughter and quiet as a tear, tall as a tale and deep as emotion. So strong, it can lift the spirit. So gentle, it can touch the heart. It is the magic that begins the happily ever after." ~ An imagineer

http://www.facebook.com/micahcard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast