• Classic Animation

Question Limited Admission

Discovery Cove in Orlando limits the number of people permitted into that park to around 1000 per day. For that, people pay a premium price of over $200.00, Sounds steep, but the experience is great. Reservations are required.

What if the Disney parks offered such a thing one or two days a year. How would that go over?

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Re: Limited Admission

Quote Originally Posted by Zimbubba
    Discovery Cove in Orlando limits the number of people permitted into that park to around 1000 per day. For that, people pay a premium price of over $200.00, Sounds steep, but the experience is great. Reservations are required.

What if the Disney parks offered such a thing one or two days a year. How would that go over?
    Horrible. That's counting on people actually doing research before they arrive, which is something a lot of folks do not do.

Even though the Disneyland Resort announced that they will not be open May 4th this year like last year and it was mentioned in all media ads, print ads, Disneyland.com, press releases, etc. etc... there were STILL people pissed that they "did not know" that the Park would be closed that day.

Horrible horrible idea... even from a revenue standpoint. Discovery Cove was built from the start to have x number of folks in mind, Disneyland is not. Even two days with a limited number of folks would require that HUGE amounts of stuff (stores, merchandise locations, entire attractions, entertainment options) to be closed, even at $200.00 a person.

Think about this... on a given day, about 40k attendance at Disneyland. At $56 (yes I know that not everyone pays $56 to visit, this is just an example) a pop that's $2240000 in just ticket sales alone. At 2000 folks in the park to get the same revenue from tickets, each Guest would have to pay $1120.00. At 5000 it's $448.00 per person. But then there's this... what should be open and what should stay closed? Even then, revenue from all departments on a day where there is that few people probably wouldn't even cover the cost of full operation for the day.

The logistics are just mind-blowing. The Park was just not built to that type of operation in mind, like Discovery Cove was.

You already get cries of elitism and the like from folks already from regular normal operation, could you imagine the backlash from the public if you showed up at the Main Entrance and you discovered that the entire Park was closed to the general public? It was already bad enough on May 4th.
    Last edited by Burnt Toast; 10-15-2005 at 05:26 PM.

• Minion

It might entice me to return to the park that I vividly remember as an Anaheim resident from '64 - '84 and living within a 20 minute walk from the Main Gate.

• Inappropriate

I think that would make a lot of people angry. Like the ones who don't check the internet to see what's going on and they just show up at the park with tickets in hand ready to go, only they can't go. Then they would hold the security guard hostage and make him take them on all the rides anyway.

But seriously, it'd be fun and i'd do it, but someone would snap. I think early admission is as close as we will ever get to that.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Minion

I might add that it could easily have been offered in the days the park closed on Mondays and Tuesdays between Labor Day and the Summer Season. Nice idea but the logistics of doing it wouldn't work now being a 7 day operation.

• Classic Animation

All the parks have "off days" even though they might be limited now. It could work on an off day.

The other concept I find interesting at some parks is the pay for front of the line passes. They are either so many passes or unlimited depending on what you pay. Awhile ago there was alot of buzz about offering such a perk at WDW for deluxe hotel guests. That buzz has gone away.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by desertdweller
    I might add that it could easily have been offered in the days the park closed on Mondays and Tuesdays between Labor Day and the Summer Season. Nice idea but the logistics of doing it wouldn't work now being a 7 day operation.
    Exactly, unfortunately because people just automatically know that the Resort is a 7-day operation now, it'll be near to impossible for them to move into a 5-day a week operation.

Now places like Magic Mountain that is normally closed during the off-season (and hence people just expect it), it might not be such a bad idea. Then again, I don't really like going to Magic Mountain because I'm just afraid that no matter where I go there I'll get stabbed or something. :D

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zimbubba
    All the parks have "off days" even though they might be limited now. It could work on an off day.
    Yah, it could... if you were willing to screw over those that plan their vacations during an off-peak season. Remember, not everyone does research, find out Park operating hours, or even what attractions are closed before they arrive.

I do want to check out Discovery Cove one day... maybe this upcoming trip in January... hrmn.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Another thing to thing about is the resort. Orlando can afford to limit one of its many parks, whereas DLR only has two gates. Discovery Cove I would presume is not the main reason most people visit WDW, however DisneyLand is usually the main reason for visiting DLR.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Walt Disney World does have the Extra Magic Hours program. It's not exactly what you're talking about, but it does significantly lessen the crowds inside the parks on their nights.

EMH's are times when only guests of the Walt Disney World resorts can visit the parks and experience select attractions. The parks open on average one hour earlier on one day and up to three hours later on a day. For resort guests, this really lessens the wait times and gives kind of a unique experience.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV