Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 75

Thread: Fastpass

  1. #1

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Posts
    1,437

    Fastpass

    I've been thinking about this for awhile. It may have been debated before. But overall, do you think FASTPASS has helped or hurt the park(s) more?

    I think that FASTPASS really makes things a lot more confusing, but the benefits might outweigh that.

  2. #2

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539

    Re: Fastpass

    One problem with fastpass is that it expels people out into walkways rather than put them in queues (I'm talking about you Indiana...)...

    Another problem is that it makes the standby longer....

    The biggest problem, and ironically the only reason why fastpass really works, is the fact that the average guests seems to be too dumb to understand how the system works. Rather than ask a CM or READ THE MAP, they complain about how unfair the system is...

    I like fastpass, it allows to ride every attraction because other people don't read, but hey... to each his own!

  3. #3

    •   
    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    15,078

    Re: Fastpass

    It's all a shell game. Next time you find yourself in an extremely long line for a non-fastpass attraction(such as Matterhorn or Peter Pan) ask yourself how many of those people in front of you are really in line somewhere else?

    Yes, some people are waiting less then before but some people are waiting longer....and it's not as simple as saying those who read are doing better then those who don't. There are factors such as when one arrives at the park, how savvy they are in reading between the lines(ie: some of those people who read really believe that they can't return after the return time.. literate trusting dolts), and of course how willing they are to seperate from their family/group to run all over retieving passes.

    When you get right down to it though.........

    The rides are not operating faster so the lines are not moving faster---Period!
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

  4. #4

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539

    Re: Fastpass

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff
    The rides are not operating faster so the lines are not moving faster---Period!
    True... the line isn't movig faster at all... but with a fastpass you don't have to stand in it!

  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    281

    Re: Fastpass

    I feel I am in the minority. I love Fastpass because it allows me to take in more of the park. Not necessarily rides but enjoy strolling down main street and visit with the characters. Also I am in a much better mood because I am not standing in line after line. I get a break from that.




    This one time on Friends . . .

  6. #6

    • Resident Neuroscientist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Posts
    1,143

    Re: Fastpass

    Fastpass helps smart people and hurts dumb people. Disney has extended evolution to theme parks, which I have no problem with. They are improving the system now, too, by removing it from rides that do not need it. Rides like Splash Mountain absolutely need it--it would have a 2 hour wait regardless. I just would not ride it without Fastpass. Some day the Tower of Terror will actually need it...if DCA doubles its attendance to MGM levels.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!


  7. #7

    • Animatronic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,860

    Re: Fastpass

    Fastpass has been debated many times before. The average wait is the same and the total number of rides you can go on is exactly the same because the capacity of the rides haven't changed.

    Fastpass forces people to chose which ride is most important to them, and gives them a time to return where they'll miss most of the queue for that ride. In their "free" time they can wait in the line for a ride they like less and see it's queue at a speed the ride designer's probably didn't consider as other fastpass people cut in front of them. This over exposure to a bad queue while missing a good queue with a same total wait time is exactly why people dislike the fastpass system. Your second choice is to clog the walkways and wait time until your fastpass comes up. This is fine for an annual pass holder who is ok with simply riding one or two rides, but a day visiter really can't do this and get their money's worth. Getting fastpasses and then returning also requires a lot more running around, this, combined with the removal of relaxing hi-capacity rides like America Sings or COP, People Mover, Sky Way, and others, and you have yourself a far less relaxing day in the park.

    Being that I am an annual pass holder who often takes day visiters, I often find myself in a weird ritual of running around with a handfull of tickets keenly aware of my fellow runners darting back and forth across the crowded walkways. It's not the Disneyland experience I knew as a kid.

  8. #8

    • Resident Neuroscientist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Posts
    1,143

    Re: Fastpass

    Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    Fastpass has been debated many times before. The average wait is the same and the total number of rides you can go on is exactly the same because the capacity of the rides haven't changed.

    Fastpass forces people to chose which ride is most important to them, and gives them a time to return where they'll miss most of the queue for that ride. In their "free" time they can wait in the line for a ride they like less and see it's queue at a speed the ride designer's probably didn't consider as other fastpass people cut in front of them. This over exposure to a bad queue while missing a good queue with a same total wait time is exactly why people dislike the fastpass system. Your second choice is to clog the walkways and wait time until your fastpass comes up. This is fine for an annual pass holder who is ok with simply riding one or two rides, but a day visiter really can't do this and get their money's worth. Getting fastpasses and then returning also requires a lot more running around, this, combined with the removal of relaxing hi-capacity rides like America Sings or COP, People Mover, Sky Way, and others, and you have yourself a far less relaxing day in the park.

    Being that I am an annual pass holder who often takes day visiters, I often find myself in a weird ritual of running around with a handfull of tickets keenly aware of my fellow runners darting back and forth across the crowded walkways. It's not the Disneyland experience I knew as a kid.
    where your argument is flawed is right in the beginning--that maximum capacity is fixed. That fact is meaningless because the true daily capacity changes every day in the parks. Where Fastpass works its magic is not with the E-Tickets, but with the other attractions--shows like 50 Magical Years and rides like Pooh that are always walk-on and which you get to ride while you would have been waiting in line for E-Tickets 10 years ago. By increasing the amount of people riding Pooh or sitting in the 50 Magical Years theatre, you increase capacity and guests get to see more. It works the same way at DCA--while you have a Fastpass, you can walk right into Animation, Muppet*Vision, ITTBaB or ride MaliBOOMer and most of Paradise Pier's other rides with minimal wait. Like I said, the smart people benefit and the dumb people don't, and I have no problem with that.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!


  9. #9

    • Photographer/Disney Lover
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Torrance, California, United States
    Posts
    224

    Re: Fastpass

    Like I said, the smart people benefit and the dumb people don't, and I have no problem with that.
    Amen. Personally, I love fastpass. I cant tell you how many times I have gotten onto Space Mountain or Splash a lot quicker than some other fastpassers....

    Bottom line, Fastpass helps you out if you take your time and think about how to plan your day out. Once you do that, its a seamless operation, and having Disney go hold your place in line.
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." ~ Walt Disney

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    At a table in front of the French Quarter Market
    Posts
    574

    Re: Fastpass

    I've been going to Disneyland since the 1960's, and went often in the late 70s as a teenager. Space Mountain has [I]always[I] had a 1 1/2 to 2 hr wait on weekends. It's no worse now. But before fastpass, I often passed it up because I couldn't bear the thought of the agonizing long wait and feeling like I was wasting my precious time in the park. Now I use a fastpass for it, sometimes 2 or 3 times in a day, each time waiting about 15 minutes. I don't understand those in the regular line - they have the same chance to get a fastpass as I did.

    I don't feel that it's affected the length of other rides. In fact, the Matterhorn lines are shorter now (maybe because people are jaded about it and more excited about Indiana Jones.) And anyone who goes on a regular basis knows how to work the park - when to pick up fastpasses, and when the line for a non-fastpass ride are short. If you don't, use ridemax.

    I don't think I would have bought an annual pass if fastpass did not exist. I've been there 5 times since this July, both on weekends and weekdays, and have never enjoyed it as much as I do with the fastpass. Maybe it doesn't make sense mathematically, all I know is I'm having a much better time at DL with fastpass.

  11. #11

    •   
    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    15,078

    Re: Fastpass

    O' Sediment, wher art thou'?
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

  12. #12

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Posts
    1,437

    Re: Fastpass

    I personally think the average guest is truly too dumb and/or lazy to understand the system, which is its failing.

  13. #13

    • ...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ventura County, CA
    Posts
    966

    Re: Fastpass

    It has been debated many times before. It has been called 'the worst, best thing' to happen to the parks by some, a necessary evil by others. Bottom line, it's controversial.

    Bottom line: FP is bad for the park and walkways, but good for Space Mt. fans. I use them, but only because they're there.

  14. #14

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    52

    Re: Fastpass

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff
    It's all a shell game. Next time you find yourself in an extremely long line for a non-fastpass attraction(such as Matterhorn or Peter Pan) ask yourself how many of those people in front of you are really in
    The Matterhorn doesnt need Fastpass, and with the exception of Pirates and Small World it has the fastest moving line. You can be on the opposite side of the mountain from the loading area and wait is no longer then 20 to 30 minutes.

    Peter Pan while it could use Fastpass more then that it needs shade in the queue area outside of the castle overhang.

  15. #15

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,709

    Re: Fastpass

    "Fastpass"... needs to be turned off.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. If you can only get ONE Fastpass...?
    By Mark Dewd in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-16-2008, 01:39 PM
  2. EPCOT Fastpass Question - When to get Sorin' Fastpass
    By Doopey1 in forum Orlando Travel Planning
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-09-2007, 05:35 AM
  3. Fastpass?
    By jl559 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 08:18 AM
  4. Fastpass & VIP Fastpass Confusion
    By GUYNYC in forum Disneyland Paris
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 03:46 AM
  5. more ?'s about fastpass
    By tahoebob54 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 12:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •