• All? NO, ALL!

Rocket Rods Test Track

So there has been insight on Test Track coming out here to the Disneyland Resort, but with a Cars theme. Well, I was thinking. Wouldn't cartoon stock cars look a little too... goofy? Why not re-Imagineer the Rocket Rods idea?

I'm also going to revive the third gate topic here, so bear with me.

Many fans want to see the PeopleMover back, and many want to see the Rocket Rods back. Why not kill two birds with one stone, and do both? This would allow the PeopleMover to reopen in Disneyland, and the Rocket Rods to open back up somewhere else. Although we've spotted the Rocket Rod take up residence in Disney's California Adventure for a few months, I don't know how well it would fit the theme of the park (but this has already happened with other attractions, too), so it could be saved for a new idea for the third gate, if and when it occurs.

Since nearly all of the old 'Rods were scrapped, new ones would have to be built. These new Rocket Rods will be made somewhat wider, and one seat will be added to make them longer. This will allow the vehicle to better accommodate the Test Track ride system, as well as add momentum. Each Rocket Rod 2.0 will have neon lighting at night, with a different color for each vehicle. Hopefully you have an idea of how it will appear.

So, you walk down the wide pathway toward a large building with a highly-banked track wrapping around above the entrance. You walk in and see small exhibits on the history of mass transit, automobiles, etc. as well as old transportation vehicles from Disneyland: the Viewliner, the Monorail, the PeopleMover, a Skyway bucket, and an original Rocket Rod. After watching a short film on how you are the first to test this new transportation system, you enter a large room (same size as the Test Track loading area) and board your Rocket Rod!

You're off into the test building, and simulated obstacles like that of Test Track's are there, as well as seeing a simulated Interstate 5, jampacked with traffic, and other ways to show how Rocket Rods are an effecient mode of transportation. You'll pass by PeopleMovers, Monorails, and StarSpeeders, all of which, alongside Rocket Rods, are now the best ways to get from Point A to Point B.

The ride ends with the big finale outside the building, of course hitting the 65 mile-per-hour mark, and slowing down, and going down a ramp back to the loading area.

So, anyone think it's a good idea? Be sure to say why it is, or why it isn't. I'm interested in your thoughts on the idea.

• Sea Creature

Re: Rocket Rods Test Track

I'm starting to almost not care what they put up there. Just use the space with something effective and fitting!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Maybe they could put the old Light Magic Parade up there..
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• All? NO, ALL!

Well, I'm not saying to do it on the PeopleMover tracks. I mean, do it in either DCA or a third gate, whenever that may occur. As a way to replace the planned Cars theme, which I think would look terrible.

I'm saying it's a way for PeopleMover fans to get the PeopleMover back, and the Rocket Rods fans to get the Rocket Rods back.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

It's a good idea if Test Track was worth the long, long queue it creates. I rode the ride at Epcot this summer, and felt completely ripped off for waiting in the line twice for it. First time the ride broke down just as we were near the pre-show area, the second time when we actually rode the ride, I was so excited that I felt completely let down when nothing really impressed me. The ride is just a lot of bumps on the road and a temperature chamber and some other effects that really didn't impress me or make me feel like the ride was worth my time. I had heard so much about it, but really- I thought it was a waste. The only good part was the banked high-speed curve... but even that was a let down because it felt like right when the speed had finally picked up and and you were getting the only good thing about the ride - the adrenaline rush - it stopped and all you were getting was a boot out of your car.

Meh, maybe I was just let down after waiting so long twice. But still, the ride lacks momentum and to me was really just a drag after seeing the ride pass overhead in the outdoor part of the queue, and then the interesting, weird and sometimes a bit disturbing displays in the indoor queue, the ride itself was less interesting that what the queue had to offer in my honest opinion.

But I guess everybody else likes the ride, so I'm probably alone with these feelings :-\

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    It's a good idea if Test Track was worth the long, long queue it creates.
    That's true, I feel that it isn't worth the wait...but everyone (or most) can ride it so it gets alot of people on it. Same with Soarin, so that has huge lines now (gimme Space and it's 5 minute waits any day).
    You're not alone in those feelings.

• All? NO, ALL!

Well, hopefully a theme change with new and improved special effects would give people some motivation.

• Reaver of Souls

Wait, who wants the Rocket Rods back?
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Mad as a Hatter for DL

Although we've spotted the Rocket Rod take up residence in Disney's California Adventure for a few months
    Where have we seen a Rocket Rod in DCA? I was just there on Saturday!
    July 28, 2006 - Spent My Birthday @ DL & Club 33!

• Reaver of Souls

They should sell the old RR vehicles to Six Flags. They would fit in perfectly as part of the Batman scenery...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

The proposed "CARS" attrction will would only use the same technology as "Test Track and "Journey to the center of the earth" It does not look anything like any of those two attractions. If built it woulld also be part of a whole new addition in the timon lot that would finally create an acces path from the warf/farm area to the tower of terror area.

• All? NO, ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by InThisStyle
    Where have we seen a Rocket Rod in DCA? I was just there on Saturday!
    There was one out in front of Hollywood & Dine (which is walled up in HPB, right now) from mid-2001 to 2002. Odd thing was, the onboard computer was still on once when I was looking at it, and I wondered if the 'Rod had some sort of internal power source other than electricity, like a battery.