View Poll Results: If you had a Time Machine what Tomorrowland era would you visit?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • The 1955 version.

1 1.92%
  • The 1959 version.

1 1.92%
  • The 1967 Version.

41 78.85%
  • The 1999 Version.

5 9.62%
  • The 2009 Version.

4 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Of all the things that have been in Tomorrowland what were the best choices?

Tomorrowland of all the lands was the one that was to the most based in reality not fantasy but a reality not of today but of 50 yrs hence, it was Walt's vision for it to look into the future especially to inspire the young that their future would be brighter and better. Of course things haven't quite turned out that way in Tomorrowland.

So I ask the question since 1955 of all the attractions that have existed in Tomorrowland which were the best for each location?

Of all the things that have been in Tomorrowland what were the best choices?

Starting at the entrance:

Which is better?
    1. The current almost closed off entrance with the astro orbiter.
    2. The original open entrance with fountains and light shows on either side.

On the right:

Which is better?
    1. Star Tours (non Disney movie based with no educational value and allot of fantasy violence)
    2. Adventure thru Innerspace with its very educational theme (of course the attraction would be updated with new multimedia technology over the years)

On the left:

Which is better?
    1. Buzz Lightyears Astro Blasters (with its animated movie look painted plywood sets and shoot em up theme)
    2. Rocket Rods queue (with wireframe transportation vehicles of the future (past) videos and informative films in the circarama theater) and on the outside the Space Experience that was short lived.
    3. The Circa rama 360 degree theater (with new films every decade or so)

Down the middle and all around:

Which is better?
    1. The WedWay Peoplemover transporation system of tomorrow (intended to illustrate how people would get around in the future in a city environment a companion to the Monorail)
    2. Rocket Rods (strickly for entertainment purposes)
    3. Nothing but an empty station and tracks, which is what we have now

Which is better?
    1. The Rocket Jets (high above tomorrowland on top of the peoplemover station)
    2. Moved to the entrance ground level as the Astro Orbiter.

Entry area to Space Mtn:

Which is better?
    1. Honey I shrunk the Audience
    2. Michael Jacksons Captain Eo (possibly updated with new efx and exteriors)
    3. Videopolis

Space Mtn:
    Since it did not replace anything and has not really changed it does not really apply

Courtyard area:
    1. currently nothing but a big ball
    2. Water fountain for kids to play in and get wet
    3. Flying Saucers (with the bugs worked out)

Pizza port building:

Which is better?
    1. A pizza eatery
    2. Mission to Mars (could be updated)
    3. Flight to the Moon (could be updated
    4. A version of both where the guests choose either the moon or mars as destinations as there were two theaters)

The Carousel building:

Which is better?
    1. Innoventions as it is now with the fabulously futuristic House of the future (sarcasm)
    2. Innoventons as it was
    3. American sings (out of place in tomorrowland but what alot of hi tech show control and a lot of AA fig's)
    4. Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress (with updated last future scene every 10 yrs or so)

The Monorail:

Ok they fixed it

The Submarine Voyage attraction:

Which is better?
    1. Nemo cartoonized
    2. Original slightly more serious voyage (but could have been updated)

The Autopias:

Which is better?
    1. the current version based on the Chevron cutesy car commercal cars sort of.
    2. the previous version which had two tracks one for adults and one for kids.
    Note: it could be update like the HK version which is all electric and charges at the loading area so that cars are nonstop and non polutting.

The skyway:

Which is better?
    1. Nothing which is what we have now
    2. the baskets that flew up over tomorrowland and the submarine lagoon and thru the caverns of the Matterhorn over Fantasyland landing in the alpine forest area.

The boat ride:

Which is better?
    1. Nothing but a green water unkempt area which is what it is now.
    2. Boat rides that followed and underwater track thru a wooded area by the autopias with the monorail overhead especially fun at night providing a restful time.

ok I probably forgot a few things but you get the drift....
    Last edited by GothicManor; 11-09-2009 at 05:57 PM.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• Minion

Re: Of all the things that have been in Tomorrowland what were the best choices?

I liked the America the Beautiful film in the CircleVision 360 theater. Since it was a movie, it could be easily updated by filming a new movie. Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters could be moved to DCA.

Adventure thru Inner Space was one of the most captivating attractions Disneyland has ever had, and they should have kept it but updated it using newer effects technology or even themed to one of the Disney films if necessary.

Star Tours should have replaced Mission To Mars which was also a flight simulator type attraction. After the real moon landings the public became uninterested in space travel. Star Tours should have been located there.

Space Mountain is a classic and is fine as is, in my opinion. Same for Disneyland Monorail. Only change for that could be to extend it if a third park is built. Skyway to Fantasyland was a great people-watching ride and the view of Fantasyland at night was beautiful.

PeopleMover was a nice relaxing tour of Tomorrowland and the vehicles could easily be updated because the motion was powered by rubber tires in the track. The original version was fine; I never went on Rocket Rods but after watching a Youtube video I feel like I didn't miss anything. The new vehicles could be themed to WALL-E or The Incredibles or both. Since the track is still there this seems like a bargain for increasing the park's ride capacity.

Submarine Voyage was good enough as it was in my opinion, though updating the scenery was a good idea and the new scenery is beautiful. The Finding Nemo storyline doesn't add much to the experience but the music is nice. Marine Observation Outpost was an excellent idea and arguably better than being on the subs.

Carousel of Progress was a fine attraction that had wide appeal and put a lot of guests through per hour. The Progress City upstairs at the end was very impressive. If Carousel of Progress was still there they could have updated one of the show scenes to feature today's technology and that could be a winner. America Sings did not appeal to me much.

Rocket Jets was fun because you were up so high, otherwise it was just another spinning ride. Astro Orbiter being located in front of the Tomorrowland entrance violates a cardinal rule (in my mind anyway) that all attractions should be behind the entrance of their land. Getting rid of the ugly Observatron and putting Astro Orbiter where the Rocket Jets were seems like a no-brainer.

Autopia is another classic that is fine as-is but why are they still using gasoline? Using electric vehicles would make it quieter and get rid of that exhaust smell. If they could put photovoltaic panels on all the rooftops (except Space Mountain obviously) and run Tomorrowland on solar power as much as possible, that would make an outstanding statement.

• =)

Re: Of all the things that have been in Tomorrowland what were the best choices?

The 2029 version...my version.

No, seriously, I'm not totally satisfied with any era of Tomorrowland's history. They all lack something, even though I'm a HUGE fan of what the land tries to do.

• Minion

Videopolis was in Fantasyland, not Tomorrowland. I posted in your other thread of this name, but since you asked specific questions...

Which is better?

On the right:

Which is better?
    2. Adventure thru Innerspace with its very educational theme

Star Tours should have replaced Mission to Mars.

On the left:

Which is better?
    3. The Circarama 360 degree theater (with new films every decade or so)

Which is better?
    1. The WedWay Peoplemover transporation system of tomorrow (intended to illustrate how people would get around in the future in a city environment a companion to the Monorail)

Which is better?

Entry area to Space Mtn:

Which is better?
    3. Videopolis

I would opt for an all-new film there.

Courtyard area:

Pizza port building:

Which is better?
    1. A pizza eatery
    4. A version of both where the guests choose either the moon or mars as destinations as there were two theaters)

Star Tours there.

The Carousel building:

Which is better?
    4. Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress (with updated last future scene every 10 yrs or so)

The Monorail:

Ok they fixed it

Which is better?
    1. Nemo cartoonized
    Underwater landscaping is nice now.

The Autopias:

Which is better?
    all electric.

The skyway:

Which is better?
    2. the baskets that flew up over tomorrowland and the submarine lagoon and thru the caverns of the Matterhorn over Fantasyland landing in the alpine forest area.

The boat ride:

Which is better?
    2. Boat rides that followed and underwater track thru a wooded area by the autopias with the monorail overhead especially fun at night providing a restful time.

A new attraction modeled after Aquatopia at Tokyo DisneySea. The Motor Boat Cruise area is considered part of Fantasyland.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    Tomorrowland of all the lands was the one that was to the most based in reality not fantasy but a reality not of today but of 50 yrs hence, it was Walt's vision for it to look into the future especially to inspire the young that their future would be brighter and better. Of course things haven't quite turned out that way in Tomorrowland.
    In other words, Tomorrowland is based in fantasy.

It is no mistake that Tomorrowland is the land closest to Fantasyland. This is the most beautiful thing about Disneyland. Tomorrowland and Fantasyland are the two most interrelated lands in the park. There is no physical barrier separating the two, except for the Matterhorn. And even that attraction has switched lands on at least one occassion.

And to address the rest of the paragraph. This is precisely what is missing in Tomorrowland. The inspiration that the future is brighter and better based upon the technologies of today and the technologies yet to be developed. But don't place any blame on Walt or the current Walt Disney Company for failing to present this. The 1950s was a very idyllic time in our history where it was commonly felt that anything can be acheived through hard work and technology. Little did they know in 1955 that the Cold War was looming on the horizon, that the country was about to undergo an epic social revolution, or that we still faced several assassinations and wars. At that time they had no idea that technology was in fact not going to solve all of their problems, and in many ways actually make things worse.

This is what Tomorrowland lacks. It needs to show everyone that in the future we will all live in harmony and peace. I say put those Mary Blair murals back up! This in and of itself is going to do a huge job in setting the mood of Tomorrowland to present a "great big beautiful Tomorrow". It won't do it all but it is a start in the right direction. Disney needs to remind their guests that while in reality the future may not be brighter and better, it will be this way at least inside of Disneyland -- which by definition is an escape from the everyday world of today.

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

i'm sensing someone is giving us their answer while they're asking us these question, so here's my answers

Which is better?

i don't remember the fountains and light show so i'm gonna go with the astro orbiter, i really don't think it's a bad ride, slightly a bad location yeah

On the right:

Which is better?
    1. Star Tours (non Disney movie based with no educational value and allot of fantasy violence)
    2. Adventure thru Innerspace with its very educational theme (of course the attraction would be updated with new multimedia technology over the years)

no why ask this question to star wars fans, of course star tours!! even if it is getting boring. and who goes to disneyland for education??? i would avoid that attraction, and i'm sure a few more people would too

On the left:

Which is better?
    1. Buzz Lightyears Astro Blasters (with its animated movie look painted plywood sets and shoot em up theme)
    2. Rocket Rods queue (with wireframe transportation vehicles of the future (past) videos and informative films in the circarama theater) and on the outside the Space Experience that was short lived.

well i enjoy BLAB very very much and so does my family and friends so does anyone notice that the tongue smiley is misspelled on the list of smilies

Which is better?

i still wish i knew what the rocket rods were, and i don't see what's so great about the peoplemover (no offense) so i'll go with the rocket rods cause the emptiness is kinda boring

Which is better?

don't really care.

Entry area to Space Mtn:

Which is better?
    3. Videopolis

hate HISTA, not exactly a big fan of michael jackson (yes he was a genius i can see that, i just never took the time to get to know him more) and videopolis just sounds like a movie rental store

Space Mtn:
    Since it did not replace anything and has not really changed it does not really apply

Courtyard area:
    3. Flying Saucers (with the bugs worked out)

would you really want kids to get soakin wet in a fountain? think of the parents that would have to come to Disneyland with like 3 different outfits already? do they really want to bring 5 more outfits for the little ones. and i like the ball, it's fun! (and if the kids want to get wet in a fountain, go to citywalk)

Pizza port building:

Which is better?
    1. A pizza eatery

whatever ride is cooler

The Carousel building:

Which is better?
    1. Innoventions as it is now with the fabulously futuristic House of the future (sarcasm)
    2. Innoventons as it was
    3. American sings (out of place in tomorrowland but what alot of hi tech show control and a lot of AA fig's)

i actually like innoventions so either 1 or 2, i don't really like AA's singing, it just seems boring to me

The Monorail:

Ok they fixed it

Which is better?
    1. Nemo cartoonized

i could care less for the submarines, but let me go on nemo and then i'll give my opinion

The Autopias:

Which is better?
    Note: it could be update like the HK version which is all electric and charges at the loading area so that cars are nonstop and non polutting.

those chevron cars are cute! so the first one!

The skyway:

Which is better?
    1. Nothing which is what we have now

i can see what your answer is in here, but i'm slightly scared of heights, so i'm good with nothing, less rides for me to worry about. and plus i wouldn't want someone to drop something on my head

The boat ride:

Which is better?

i think the green water is peaceful to me, i like looking at the green water while i'm in line for the matterhorn, plus i got a good pic of IASW at that location. and a good place now for the smoking area.
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    The 2029 version...my version.

No, seriously, I'm not totally satisfied with any era of Tomorrowland's history. They all lack something, even though I'm a HUGE fan of what the land tries to do.
    I love the 2029 version ..especially since my buddy data will allow me to use his new "Datapass" to skip to the front of the line whenever the notion strikes.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Over time each era had something the others lacked.
    If we could put all of them together, that would be amazing.

Actually Videopolis was originally in Tomorrowland where the theater is now then it was moved to Fantasyland, but you have to be old enough to know that ;-)

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

If you look at the walls on either side of the entrance you will what looks like a sculpture those used to be water fountains and at night had colored lighting that shined on the water and on the what was a silver wall of geometric shapes creating a cool futuristic entrance.

— Walt Disney

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by j2249 View Post
    Over time each era had something the others lacked.
    If we could put all of them together, that would be amazing.
    That would be quite nice. Good old Tomorrowland!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Actually the 1967 version seems to be the one that most exemplifies what Walt had in mind and it was his final version although he passed away a few months before it finally finished construction and opened. 1967 brought us the new look of tomorrowland with the new Adventure thru innerspace, the peoplemover, the flight to the moon, the Carousel of Progress, the circlerama, the rocket jets etc....

— Walt Disney

• Future Skipper

IMO, Tomorrowland has never been perfect. But if I could make a fantasy Tomorrowland...

Which is better?
    I'm not really familiar with the old entrance. But I'd rather the current one look more like WDW's.

On the right:

Which is better?
    Hm... this is hard.
    Probably Star Tours II.
    I know you wanted me to answer Adventure Through Inner Space, but the whole idea of atoms and molecules aren't all that futuristic anymore.

On the left:

Which is better?
    Circlevision.
    But in 3-D.
    Now that would be cool.

Which is better?
    Definitely Peoplemover. It was a mistake to get rid of it.

Which is better?
    I'm indifferent.

Entry area to Space Mtn:

Which is better?
    Honestly, none of the above.
    Not a big fan of Captain EO or HISTA.

Space Mountain:
    Space Mountain.

Courtyard area:
    Actually the Flying Saucers were where Space Mountain is... So I'm gonna go with nice little park they have now.

Pizza port building:

Which is better?
    Redd Rockett's Pizza Port. Only with better theming.
    With Star Tours there is no longer the need for Mission to Mars/Rocket to the Moon

The Carousel building:

Which is better?
    Carousel of Progress.

The Monorail:

Viewliner!

Which is better?
    Sub Voyage. I guess.

The Autopias:

Which is better?
    Hong Kong.
    And make it super retro.
    As in no guide rail.

The skyway:

Which is better?
    Skyway.

The boat ride:

New something.

• Pongo is my hero.

Which is better?

On the right:

Which is better?
    1. Star Tours (non Disney movie based with no educational value and allot of fantasy violence)- It's just an all-around fun ride that's about to be reimagined. It's still worth it every time.

On the left:

Which is better?
    1. Buzz Lightyears Astro Blasters (with its animated movie look painted plywood sets and shoot em up theme)- Really, really fun. It isn't tacky like the other two either. I don't find 360 movies very innovative.

Which is better?
    1. The WedWay Peoplemover transporation system of tomorrow (intended to illustrate how people would get around in the future in a city environment a companion to the Monorail)- Yes, yes, yes. Every TLand needs these. Sadly, I never got to ride DL's, but at MK's the ride works SO well. So relaxing at night.

Which is better?
    1. The Rocket Jets (high above tomorrowland on top of the peoplemover station)- Rockets belong at a higher elevation like MK's.

Entry area to Space Mtn:

Which is better?
    3. Videopolis
    4. None of the above

Space Mtn:

Courtyard area:
    3. Flying Saucers (with the bugs worked out)- I LOVE the idea of this ride. Hopefully Luigi's new ride will spark a new version of this ride.

Pizza port building:

Which is better?
    1. A pizza eatery
    2. Mission to Mars (could be updated)- Only for the classic factor. Never rode it though.

The Carousel building:

Which is better?
    2. Innoventons as it was
    4. Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress (with updated last future scene every 10 yrs or so)- Classic.

The Monorail:

Ok they fixed it

Which is better?
    1. Nemo cartoonized- I just LOVE Nemo

The Autopias:

Which is better?
    HKDL Autopia ALL THE WAY.

The skyway:

Which is better?
    1. Nothing which is what we have now- Tacky Skyway will never look good.

The boat ride:

Which is better?

one hundred and one

• Minion

As it stands now Tomorrowland gives the impression that it was just thrown together on a piecemeal basis rather than following a master plan or grand design. Bits and pieces remain from each previous design but they don't work well together. Astro Orbiter, Redd Rockett's, Moonliner, Innoventions building, stages, entrance... they all have different styles. They should rename it Miscellaneousland for now, until they can work up a new master plan. Maybe they can borrow design concepts from the never-built Westcot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast