Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tipping at Disneyland

I just started thinking about tipping because of the posts about Captain Mikey making the Jungle Cruise so much fun and I am also going on a tour. What is the CM policy on receiving tips for a job well done.

This one time on Friends . . .

• ...lurks...

Re: Tipping at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandPlanner
    I just started thinking about tipping because of the posts about Captain Mikey making the Jungle Cruise so much fun and I am also going on a tour. What is the CM policy on receiving tips for a job well done.

I am under the understanding (this does not mean it's fact) that they cannot accept them- they must turn them into the company.

I wish they could, some of them deserve it!

• Minion

We're not supposed to accept tips. The best thing to do would be a written compliment to Guest Relations.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

When I worked there, you had to deny a tip or gift three times. If the guest insisted after a fourth time, you were allowed to accept.

At table service restaurants, it is acceptable to tip. We tipped our server during the Fantasmic! Dessert Buffet.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• A Pirate's life for me!

When they would take our order and deliver the dessert to our table at the River Belle during Fantasmic, we would give her a nice tip. She saved us a lot of time by not having to stand in line (again).

I noticed last week that she wasn't there. And yes, we had to stand in line again for our dessert.

Over the years, I've given a couple of bucks to the clean-up CM's (sorry, I don't know their official titles), the ones that wear all white, when the kids would spill something on the ground (popcorn, soda, etc...), or like last June when one got sick (choked) in the mexican restaurant, which resulted in a mess on the floor.

Those folks work hard and have a dirty job. They deserve more credit (and probably more pay). Thanks to them all!

Whoa, hey be carefull here, we're going to end up with cups and jars on the counters everywhere. I agree that they do work hard at the park, but "so do the guys at starbucks", and just look at the counter ... TIPS PLEASE!

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

Quote Originally Posted by seenoevil
    We're not supposed to accept tips. The best thing to do would be a written compliment to Guest Relations.
    This might be better in the long run anyway. A tip is a one time thing; positives in your work file can help get better evals which lead to better raises and even promotions .

And please, if you have a bad experience (anywhere, not just DL) fill out a comment card about that too. Most managers don't go looking for problems, so if you don't tell them they can't fix things.

• Circle of Ancients

It seems there are tip jars EVERYWHERE now.

I don't tip at Starbucks. I wouldn't tip at McDonalds.

When I sit down and get "waited on" I am VERY generous. The Blue Bayou waiters and waitresses love us.

• Photographer/Disney Lover

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    It seems there are tip jars EVERYWHERE now.

I don't tip at Starbucks. I wouldn't tip at McDonalds.

When I sit down and get "waited on" I am VERY generous. The Blue Bayou waiters and waitresses love us.
    I agree. Why should they get a tip? They dont do anything special for me that the other guy would do...
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." ~ Walt Disney

This thread is going the wrong way I am not suggesting having tip jars anywhere I am wanted to know if you have a CM that does an outstanding job if you can reward them with a tip.

Quote Originally Posted by bejeweledcat
    This might be better in the long run anyway. A tip is a one time thing; positives in your work file can help get better evals which lead to better raises and even promotions .

And please, if you have a bad experience (anywhere, not just DL) fill out a comment card about that too. Most managers don't go looking for problems, so if you don't tell them they can't fix things.
    My only concern with that is the thread that talked about CM pay and benefits. It seems that they do not really get too many benefits; besides working at a place that we all love it visit. I also heard a senior CM is about 18 months of experience. So how much good is a comment card if you do not stay long enough to receive benefit.

I really would just like to know the best way to reward a very friendly, helpful CM. Would a churro work??

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

Give them a Friends Of Cast Members button - here's a link: http://www.cafepress.com/focm

Kind of an alliance, this was a way to show cast members that we support them. Still, fill out a form at City Hall, because like has been said, that can mean alot more than a one time tip.
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Just tell them you appreciate what they are doing. City hall really is the best way to complement a CM- they get a copy of your complement plus it goes in their file. It may seem small, but managers really notice and they make sure your complement is seen by everyone in your department. If they have made a difference in your day, just remember, they are paid to make your day better, so don't worry about giving them something "extra" Since most of them are out walking around, a tip isn't appropriate and will most likely make a CM feel uncomfortable.

(speaking from experience, I was a sweeper- I loved it when guests stopped to complement me, it made me feel less invisible and gave me more motivation to be a better CM)
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

This is going a lot better. I love the button idea but I do not have time to order them because I leave on Thursday. It is nice to know a verbal thank you is appreciated.

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    Just tell them you appreciate what they are doing. City hall really is the best way to complement a CM- they get a copy of your complement plus it goes in their file. It may seem small, but managers really notice and they make sure your complement is seen by everyone in your department. If they have made a difference in your day, just remember, they are paid to make your day better, so don't worry about giving them something "extra" Since most of them are out walking around, a tip isn't appropriate and will most likely make a CM feel uncomfortable.

(speaking from experience, I was a sweeper- I loved it when guests stopped to complement me, it made me feel less invisible and gave me more motivation to be a better CM)
    I know when Bear and I have stopped to complement or even just coment to CM's we recieve an enthusiastic response. We really enjoy our chats with the staff. And CM's really seem to perk up when we play along with the spiels for the rides and attractions.

And having worked retail in the past, a smile, a friendly face, or a kind work can make even the worst day better.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

City Hall is the best... write out that Guest complement. Unfortunately, the Cast Member probably won't see it until like five months later at the Parks but almost immediately if it's to a Resort Hotel (I got one like two days after the Guest letter arrived).

Ask to see a manager as well and THEN go to City Hall and fill out a complement. Or you can wait until you get home and write a letter.

Most of all though, let that Cast Member know what you think of them. I've denied telling people where to go to fill out Guest complements (I'm very old school, pre-Pressler, so no sending Guests to City Hall for ANY reason if you can take care of the situation yourself!) because I would tell them that they let ME know I did a good job and that's all that matters to me. I used to say, "I don't need a piece of paper telling me that I'm doing a good job... YOU telling me that I'm doing a good job means the world to me!". :) Usually the most I will do is get a manager for them to get that "verbal" complement documented at most. Heh heh.

All in all, regardless of what you do... please let the Cast Member know how you feel! You might be the difference between that person having a horrible day and turning it around to a great one... I know that really helped some nights at the old Fantasmic! GC during the four summers (in RiverBelle Terrace dining area) I did. :) God, I those old times... I used to have a blast.

Tips are generally not accepted... but Cast Members are told that they can accept it after three firm refusals (with thanks, of course). After the third, CMs should accept it because it might be considered rude (different cultures) by the tipper. Then you have to report the tip to your management team and they take it to donate it to some charity or something (lots of paperwork)... majority of the time the management team will just tell you to keep it. I've gotten a pretty big tip at the Bengal BBQ once (Samoain family, just a huge order, gave me a tip of a little over 50%) and the Guest insisted that I take it or give it to the person at the register next to me if I wouldn't take it after the third refusal. Anyways, my lead and manager told me to keep it but I felt really guilty because I felt that I really didn't do anything that special compared to what I normally do... but damn, I did get that order out quick. :D Anyways, I KNOW that my manager just didn't want to fill out that paperwork. :)
    Last edited by Burnt Toast; 10-17-2005 at 10:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast